UKC

Sca Fell area - can anyone provide current conditions ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lewison 01 Feb 2016

Hi,
I am planning a trip to Wasdale Head area this Friday through Sunday and was wondering what the current conditions are like with regard to snow cover etc on Sca Fell, Sca Fell Pike etc or have the recent thaws/rain/storms stripped it back. My main concern is that I am travelling with a group of 10-12 (friends) where only 4/5 of us have crampons/ice axes and wondering if the conditions are safe for them without ? Also, given the general wind/weather forecast for the end of the week is it even a good idea to take a group of middle aged men ( avg age 40 ) half of whom have no real mountain experience in winter and not much more in summer and other than myself and 1 other have no experience walking with crampons/ice axes as the rest have purchased for this weekend.
Any sensible suggestions ? I for one would rather postpone for a less windy day.
Cheers
Mark
Post edited at 12:06
 Dark-Cloud 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Mark Of Loxley:

It doesn't matter what its like now as that will change for sure, have you checked the forecast for the week ?

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/
 liquid 01 Feb 2016

Things may change, but ran over from Borrowdale in fell trainers at the weekend without any bother. If you are walking up from Wasdale it's only a short walk up a good path, if things are too bothersome then just turn around and go for walk along the lake which is nice
OP Lewison 01 Feb 2016

Hi, I have been checking the forecast constantly. Just trying to gauge current conditions to see how they may be impacted by forecasted ones.
 Dark-Cloud 01 Feb 2016

As above, a lot can change in a week, you might be in shirt sleeves of full on winter kit.

Its not a difficult route to Scafell so more than doable in fresh snow without axes and crampons.
OP Lewison 01 Feb 2016
In reply to liquid:

The 'group' want to do Sca Fell as a goal and it seems nothing less. It's more of a logistics issue getting everyone organised for weekends away from the wife and kids which seem to be determining that it will be 'this weekend' rather than another. But I for one don't see the point to take a day off work, drive 4 hours ( from Sheffield ) and walk in the rain/whiteout/cloudy conditions that are forecast. I live at the weekends on Anglesey and can see the Carneddau range from my lounge window so I pick and choose the days I want to get out on the mountains and if it's forecast more than 20mph then I go kitesurfing instead.
OP Lewison 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I am not bothered about conditions myself as I have been out in far worse, my concern is being 'indirectly' responsible for a group of men who are likely to have sunk a lot of ale each of the nights we are there and not necessarily fit for potential windy/whiteout conditions that the long range is forecasting.
 Dark-Cloud 01 Feb 2016

Sounds like you should go kitesurfing and leave them too it then !
 Simon Caldwell 01 Feb 2016

> The 'group' want to do Sca Fell as a goal and it seems nothing less.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster
 Graham Booth 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Doesn't matter, I'm sure MRT would be glad for the exercise...
 Mike Conlon 01 Feb 2016

I think you know what the sensible call is ! We have all be in situations where investment in preparations, grand goals, group dynamics,etc,have made sensible and objective decision making extremely difficult. I don't envy you - Plan B for me would be a pub with TV, France V Italy followed by a very enticing Scotland v England !
 bouldery bits 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

> I think you know what the sensible call is ! We have all be in situations where investment in preparations, grand goals, group dynamics,etc,have made sensible and objective decision making extremely difficult. I don't envy you - Plan B for me would be a pub with TV, France V Italy followed by a very enticing Scotland v England !

Wise words indeed.
 lpretro1 01 Feb 2016

Is it Scafell Pike (highest one) or Scafell the 'group' want to do? Scafell is a different undertaking entirely from Wasdale side - unless you go up the 'easier' way the old Victorian route from the Corpse Road. There is no 'easy' way for inexperienced people from the Lingmell/Hollowstones side - only choice of Broad Stand or Lords Rake. I'd defonot recommend Broad Stand at all for a group like that and especially in it's wintry - neither up nor down - it is an accident black spot at best of times. Lords Rake in wintery conditions for inexperienced folk is a no-no - and some will find it not easy in summer conditions if they are not used to scrambling. I'd try to manage 'expectations' given the time of year - gauge what the conditions are like by following the forecasts such as 'Weatherline' as well as this forum. Pushing ahead with a firm objective no matter what can often lead to disaster - esp this time of the year
OP Lewison 01 Feb 2016
In reply to lpretro1:

Hi, well that was my concern. As I am not familiar with Lake District routes, I am reliant on ground conditions being favourable, which given the forecast does not look too promising, so I am going to try and get them to postpone for a few weeks until more settled weather may be available. I always check on mwis as well as the metoffice mountain forecast for whenever I go out ( before I go ). But, the difference between seeing the hills from your garden as I do in Wales and having a group that are miles from home and wanting to camp out ( they only have £100 single man 2/3 season tents as it is ) is another matter. Cheers for all the advice, sort of reinforcing my own view anyway. Just didn't want to recommend cancelling if perhaps I was being over cautious with them.
 Dark-Cloud 03 Feb 2016
In reply to lpretro1:

> . There is no 'easy' way for inexperienced people from the Lingmell/Hollowstones side - only choice of Broad Stand or Lords Rake.

Foxes Tarn is only a minor diversion if you want to do it from Wasdale side
OP Lewison 08 Feb 2016

Well in the end we stayed at the bunkhouse at the White Horse and the group struggled in the rain up to about 700m when 9 of the 12 took the wise choice to return to the car rather wet and bedraggled. The 'birthday' boy whose idea and insistence on going out wanted to push on to the summit so I went with him and another friend to get him there, albeit they were both worn out at the top and it was a slow walk back down. Did the whole trip via the Seathwaite car park in just less than 6.5 hours which wasn't too bad given the conditions, but you won't get me setting off in the rain again. If I wake up and it's raining, that's the best excuse for me to stay in bed. Hoping the snow and freeze will settle in this week for a more rewarding weekend in Snowdonia this weekend.
 Mike Conlon 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Mark Of Loxley: Pleased to hear the outcome, with presumably most of the participants placing their different experiences in their memory banks to aid future decision making.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...