UKC

Citroen Berlingo - review please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 illepo 02 Feb 2016
Morning all,

i've been researching the above van to replace mine that recently died. It seems like a pretty solid and reliable machine.

Does anyone have have and can confirm?
In reply to illepo:

I'm also considering one so would be interested in seeing other peoples views. Intention would be to add this http://www.amdro.co.uk/boot-jump-camper-car/boot-jump-and-boot-tent-p-52.ht...
 cha1n 02 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:
Probably worth mentioning which model you plan on buying. I own a M59 2.0 HDI (2004). It's the worst vehicle I've ever driven but you can fit a fair amount of stuff in it and it's still parallel parkable into small spaces on a terraced road. Fuel economy is good and they seem to be fairly mechanically sound apart from the clutches needing replacing around the 90-100k mark.

Would I buy one again? Probably not. I'd take the hit and buy a similar vehicle with a more refined engine. Would be fine if it was for occasional use.
Post edited at 11:00
In reply to illepo:
My parents both run property businesses and a farm. As a result we have a 'farm van' and have had the same Berlingo 1.9 non turbo Diesel since 2005.

It's a fantastic work horse. No power at all, handles quite well though. Fit lots in it and hasn't skipped a beat (indicator stalk stopped working recently and was a £400 fix!). Starting to feel old now though (2004 plate). I expect it's not a safe thing to crash!

NOTE: if it was my only mode of transport I'd probably kill myself (too boring). But as a workhorse... excellent.
Post edited at 10:57
 Lord_ash2000 02 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

Until a few months ago I owned a 2000 (W Reg) Berlingo, 1.9 desiel non turbo.

I'd owned it for about 4-5 years, never had any major problems with it during that time and it's never broken down on me or failed to start.

It's very under powered, so slow (much over 80 and it's struggling) and useless at acceleration. However it was great for sticking stuff in. You can get 5 bouldering mats and 5 people in it no problem.

You can sleep in the back but only just, if you're 6ft you can't straiten your legs but my 5'7" girlfriend was fine.

So to sum up, very practical and reliable as a tool for transporting stuff but pretty crap as a drivers car.
 ByEek 02 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

Beware of cylinder 3 of the 1.7 diesel. The fuel injector has a habit of going (you smell fumes in the cabin) and if you don't get it sorted pretty fast you are looking at a new turbo and / or engine.

I can't think of a more drab car all round though.
cb294 02 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

Excellent car (2002 2.0 HDI). More than enough power for me, could pack the camping equipment for five people for a three week holiday and a folding kayak, all without needing a roof box. Replaced it at about 300.000 km and 12 years old, no repairs in all these years to fix mechanical failures, but the heating regulator electronics died twice (and the exhaust fell off, but that can probably be blamed on too much off road use).

CB
 Dave Williams 02 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

Avoid the 1.6 Hdi engine due to oil change/ turbo failure issues. Search this site or google '1.6hdi engine problems' for more info. The older 2.0Hdi engine's fine - a great engine in fact. As others have said the 1.9 non-turbo is good and reliable but down on power so is a bit of a slug.
 DannyC 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

That looks interesting Paul. Are there seatbelts in the back seats and do any of the seats fold flat to allow bike storage etc?

I've a 04 1.4 petrol Berlingo. It's underpowered, but simple and has done me well as a car for normal use, and minivan (with seats taken out and put in spare room) for trips away sleeping in the back.

D.
 Neil Williams 02 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

Be careful of the 1.6 HDi engine in the newer Berlingo and other Citroen and Peugeot vehicles. It is *very* sensitive to oil changes - the oil MUST be dropped manually (ideally flushed through as well) and NOT hoovered out as done by places like Kwik Fit. If you do the latter, you end up with crap in the oil which gets into the turbocharger, causing failure. If a turbo fails, so will the next one - it is effectively not repairable.

Ask if it has ever had a replacement turbo, and if it has run a mile. Or buy the 2.0. And a main dealer service history (assuming they behaved themselves) is valuable.
In reply to DannyC:

I had a 2005 petrol one and I found it fine. Only problem was it was underpowered, but if you don't mind making stately progress or revving the nuts off it that's fine. I miss it to be honest.
In reply to ByEek:

> I can't think of a more drab car all round though.

A box on wheels with no charisma - but wonderfully practical for shifting "stuff".

I'm with Paul on all accounts, mine has been great too.

Throughout the winter it can also fit in a large number of bouldering mats (if that's what you're into) and throughout the summer I have generally left my Boot Jump in-situ and made the most of camping in it each weekend. Space-wise there's enough room for everything, plus a bit more - including a comfortable space for passengers too.

Not sure about any of the engine details/faults that have been listed here, but my 2006 1.6HDi has been extremely reliable. Just got it MOT'd and it passed with flying colours, services have also been cheap (at least they have to date!), and I can't think of a single moan or gripe about it's performance. I also do quite high mileage due to a blend of work and a need to travel, so bearing that in mind it's doing well.

In short: I quite clearly love it...
 DannyC 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

I've never really understood the idea of a car having a charisma. Or the thrill of being in a machine that is able to drive really fast, when it being illegal to do so. Which is probably why I own a Berlingo!

I'll almost definitely get another one after this one packs it in. Though I'd be tempted by a MarkII I think. It gets me, people and loads of stuff from A-B-A, often with a nap or two in the back along the way.

D.
 cha1n 02 Feb 2016
In reply to DannyC:

Don't underestimate the fun to be had racing your mates to the crag after work through the country lanes (even at legal speeds).
In reply to DannyC:

> I've never really understood the idea of a car having a charisma. Or the thrill of being in a machine that is able to drive really fast, when it being illegal to do so. Which is probably why I own a Berlingo!

For me it's more acceleration. Makes it significantly easier to pull out of a busy junction/overtake someone pottering at 40mph on a NSL road.
 cha1n 02 Feb 2016
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

I should also add that part of my comments on performance were based on the recent performance of my 2.0 HDI, which has been terrible - close to a naturally aspirated diesel.

Today I pulled out the connected for the MAF sensor and it's been flying along ever since. Forgot just now nippy it is! Still shite around the corners though.
 aln 02 Feb 2016
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

Berlingo 1.9 non turbo Diesel since 2005.

> It's a fantastic work horse. No power at all,

Doesn't make sense

hasn't skipped a beat (indicator stalk stopped working recently and was a £400 fix!).

Doesn't make sense

But as a workhorse... excellent.

In reply to aln:

Four hundred quid for an indicator stalk? Surely you could have got one for 20 quid from a scrappy. There are enough Berlingo vans around.
 aln 02 Feb 2016

I think you replied to the wrong person.
In reply to aln:

Ah, iffy quoting
 jimjimjim 03 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

I bough myself a brand spanker last year and although I like the van it has had a couple of faults with the touch screen gizmo. They fixed it no problem but it doesn't fill me with confidence once the warranty runs out. Also the sat nav provided is crap but I just use my phone. It is cheap though at about £11000 new on the road for the top of the range 1.6 diesel. It's a bit underpowered as people have said but I don't carry much weight and am happy to drive slow. I have the wife's 3lt BMW for when I want to act like a t**t. Time will tell if it serves me well but so far I'm reasonably happy. If I had a bit more money I'd go for the vw or the Ford in the same size
OP illepo 03 Feb 2016
In reply to jimjimjim:

Is the issue with the 1.6 diesel engine solved then?
 Neil Williams 03 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:
I believe there have been changes to it to reduce the problem *but* you must still follow the service interval and prescribed oil change method (i.e. not vacuuming out, so don't take it to Kwik Fit) to the letter or you are very likely to have problems. Most modern cars, particularly petrol ones, are tolerant of not being serviced quite often enough or it being a rush-job, these are not.
Post edited at 09:11
In reply to jimjimjim:

I don't see the point in built-in sat navs in cars - as the life of a car is about 10-15 years, it just gets out of date too quickly. Just use your smartphone anyway.
 cha1n 03 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

There's not a problem with the 1.6 if it's serviced correctly, it's just that the turbos were (are?) easily damaged by using the incorrect oil. That's why I never bothered with the 1.6 and went for the 2.0 HDI, because for how much I wanted to spend (£1000), I knew the service history would be patchy!
In reply to aln:
> Doesn't make sense

What doesn't make sense?

It's got no power to overtake or drive anything but slowly. But, yes, it's a great workhorse for our needs. It wouldn't be good if you wanted to fit a compressor inside and then tow around a trailer full of gravel on A roads, but for moving furniture/rubbish/light building materials/odds and ends and dogs around town it's great.

I think the fact we've had 11 years motoring and the only problem being a broken indicator stalk would count as 'never skipping a beat'.

Wouldn't you agree?
Post edited at 09:42
> Four hundred quid for an indicator stalk? Surely you could have got one for 20 quid from a scrappy. There are enough Berlingo vans around.

I didn't do it, was my mum (70 y/o). The labour was the costly factor not the parts (both weren't working correctly and needed to be replaced). She's busy running her businesses and isn't the type to nip down to the scrappy. Just gives it to her mechanic and asks him to sort it!

I had a Peugeot 106 GTi for 10 years, that also had a indicator stalk failure and the price for one was about £170 back in 2009, the labour was again the costly bit.
Post edited at 09:39
 pog100 03 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

Just to add to the general opinion, I bought a new 1.6 diesel in 2009 under the scrappage scheme and a boot jump a few years ago. Both have been great, I have only positive things to say. I had no idea about the turbo problem but so far it has done 97,000 without problem, regular service by local garages. We will see but to be honest it has already done enough to be a 'good car'.
The boot jump is great, I suspect that, being retired, we have got more than average use out of it .. it must total about 4-5 month's of nights by now and we love it. Superbly designed and made piece of kit.
 nathan79 03 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

I bought a second hand 2008 1.6HDi last December with the Amdro kit in the back last December. My weekend hill wagon so I've only done around 6000 miles in it, currently sitting at about 110k.

Decent runaround, the folk who sold it to me replaced it with a new multi space so that's always a good sign.

In reply to pog100:

I'd imagine good independent mechanics would probably take the time to service it per spec and not use the shortcut of vacuuming the oil out as Kwik Fit etc do - that is what causes the problem, as all the crap stays in the bottom of the sump if you do it that way. Do it properly and it all drops out.

With these vehicles, better to do it yourself even than to go to Kwik Fit etc.
OP illepo 03 Feb 2016

I'd be doing any and all jobs myself.

thanks for the feedback. i think i'll be avoiding the 1.6 turbo ones completely.
In reply to DannyC:

The bench seat in the photo is actually just the cushions from the boot jump, it folds down and then folds again so it's completely contained within the boot.

You can keep the back seats in place with it installed but if we're going away in there's generally just the 2 of us so we take the back seats out for extra kit space.

What I like about it is the flexibility of having a car with the added benefit I can take the back seats out and have a minivan, or stick the boot jump in and have a mini-camper.

There's a video of the boot jump in action here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7133
 winhill 03 Feb 2016

> The bench seat in the photo is actually just the cushions from the boot jump, it folds down and then folds again so it's completely contained within the boot.

Why not use a bouldering mat?

Could be an opportunity for Alpkit here, custom made van conversions for boulderers, obviously they'd have to change the name, the Alpkit Bott Hump or something similar.

In reply to winhill:

That's almost Ikean naming
In reply to illepo:

I had a 1.6 HDI from new for 3 years and it was great. I got a platform built in the back for storage and sleeping on top of. Mountain bike has to lie down on top of the platform
I really like the amount of storage in the cab
We went away for lots of weekends and it was fine for sleeping in i dropped the passenger seat and my partner is short so she fitted in fine

I just got a new one on a lease deal and am very happy.

My old van averaged about 52 mpg for a mixture of urban and motorway driving but as i get older I drive reasonably carefully. Have averaged 50mpg in the new one and have had it for 3 months now
 DannyC 03 Feb 2016

That is seriously tempting, especially as I'm likely to get a Berlingo again in future. Price is obviously an issue but I use it enough to be worth it, I think. Hmm..!

Cheers,
D.
In reply to DannyC:

I got my boot jump second hand for £800 from UKBouldering of all places
 johnwright 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ByEek:

> Beware of cylinder 3 of the 1.7 diesel.
PSA don't do a 1.7 engine, I think you must mean a 1.6HDI
 cousin nick 03 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

I've commented previously on these threads:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=630108&v=1#x8187340

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=612610&v=1#x8017384

I have a 2007 1.6 HDi, which is a good reliable workhorse.
Pros:
Space, economy, reliability, space, blandness of a 'white van', cheap and plenty around

Cons:
Limited drivers seat adjustment (none for passenger).
You get stung for LGV tax compared to the car version (Multispace)
If the diesel lump (EGR valve) goes wrong, its an expensive fix

N

In reply to illepo:

Don't know why this is a topic, obviously you're not really considering a Berlingo and are instead buying a Skoda Octavia estate 1.9tdi...
 clare_bear 03 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

I have a berlingo van that I've converted into a little camper!! it's great for me as i'm only 5'4"!! so can lay down in the back with luxury and not have to worry about putting the front seats forward.

I use mine as my everyday vehicle as well as my climbing van - so I'm grateful for the small size and fairly economical engine.

If it was just as a camper/day van I would probably go for a little more space - something like the Nissan nv200...

I bought my berlingo at 100,000 miles on the clock... I think i'm pushing over 150,000 now and it still sails through its MOT...
 jimjimjim 03 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

I have no idea. When I looked into buying different vans it seemed every one I looked at had some problem or another but finding out exactly how many were affected is impossible. My mate bought a brand new Ford connect and it looks great but has had two new clutches before he's done 10000 miles so....
We'll see.
 johnwright 03 Feb 2016
In reply to illepoat. I bought my Berlingo 1.6 16v petrol new in 2003 and have still got it, it's done 140,000miles and uses no oil, the only issues where direction indicater (sp)stalk packed in fairly soon from new, it was a fault and was replaced under waranttee. Both front spring have broken once, gear change rod failed in France, main dealer charged about 40 euros (robbing barstewards)just for the part, 1 front wheel bearing, the exhaust seem to last approx 2 years because we left the car unused for 9 months of the year . I replaced the clutch at 130,000miles.Other than that only tyres and servicing. I only used good quality oil and Mann filters. Almost forgot, I replaced the radiator maybe 7 years ago. The fuel consumption on a long run travelling to central France is about 35-40 mpg.The car has been great, don't think I would buy a 1.6 Hdi model thou, the engine is tooo fragile.
 ByEek 04 Feb 2016
In reply to johnwright:

> PSA don't do a 1.7 engine, I think you must mean a 1.6HDI

1.7, 1.6, 1.8 - I think it is the same engine. Just different labelling. I have always been boggled at how the number of CCs in an engine rarely matches the headline figure. A 1.6 engine is often 1598CC. Why? We are being robbed!
 johnwright 04 Feb 2016
In reply to ByEek:

> 1.7, 1.6, 1.8 - I think it is the same engine. Just different labelling. I have always been boggled at how the number of CCs in an engine rarely matches the headline figure. A 1.6 engine is often 1598CC. Why? We are being robbed!

If you search PSA engines it comes up with Wikipedia pages and it lists all the engine that PSA have made, there is no 1.7 engine, but there was a 1.8 petrol engine used in larger cars. I quess you are taking the piss about 1600cc engine being only 1598cc.
regards John (retired mechanc)
 Baron Weasel 05 Feb 2016
In reply to illepo:

We have a works Berlingo and as a tall person it is a terrible car to drive. Biggest gripe is that to use the clutch I have to stick my knee out to the side to avoid the steering wheel.
 cha1n 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> We have a works Berlingo and as a tall person it is a terrible car to drive.

For reference, I'm 6'1 and don't have this issue.
 Rick Graham 05 Feb 2016
> We have a works Berlingo and as a tall person it is a terrible car to drive. Biggest gripe is that to use the clutch I have to stick my knee out to the side to avoid the steering wheel.

My Berlingo steering column adjusts up and down. Lever is hidden in a strange French way.

Edit. Some van seats may not go back as far as in the Multispace. Bulkhead in the way.

Edit 2. My 1.9 D ( flat as a fart ) Berlingo feels slow but TBH when you compare it the 1.6 16V petrol Astra, it actually does a morning commute ( say Coniston to Penrith, early morning, no tourist traffic ) in exactly the same time as the " faster " car. Just does not feel like it.
Post edited at 13:42
 Neil Williams 05 Feb 2016
Old one or new one? The old one has loads of space, with a bus-style slanted wheel (which adjusts up and down) - apart from the pedals being a bit close together for size 13s it was great for a tall person. The new one has a curved centre console with the gearstick mounted on it and a more car-like wheel nearer vertical, which I find does get in the way. But this is not exclusive to Citroen - I physically cannot drive the previous model of Ford Focus for the same reason.

But height varies in its effect - the most significant variable is upper vs. lower leg length.
Post edited at 15:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...