UKC

Forest roads to the east of Mt St Helens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Since someone here knows a good answer to an honest question, I'll throw this one out to the forum.

I'm planning a trip to Washington state and Oregon in September; no climbing, just short walks and the opportunity to be awed by some gobsmacking scenery. The current plan involves trying to visit Mt St Helens from the east side, and that means driving on forest roads; and that's where my ignorance starts to bite. I'm not sure whether forest roads are logging trails only accessible by tooled-up SUVs or something down which a motorhome could be driven with no inconvenience and given the remoteness of the area, how long such trips might take.

Questions, questions. Answers to them and any other advice about places to see/avoid in the area gratefully received, though all the reward I can give you will be some hopefully marvellous pictures when we return.

Thanks in advance,

T.
 Paul Hy 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
the only road (tarmac all the way) to any where near is the Spirit Lake Hwy which is on the North side of St Helens. the hwy is off the Interstate 5 (Seattle to Portland) take exit 63, follow this thro Toledo and drive on until a left turn at T junc sign posted Mt St Helens. Its about an hours drive from Toledo. there is a massive Car park, overnight stays allowed iirc.
In reply to Paul Hy:

Cheers Paul, much obliged. At present the plan has us coming along the Spirit Lake Highway from the east, but things may change; and the information about time and the massive car park is useful. Massive car park = lots of cars = good(ish) roads, at least that's what I'm presuming.

T.
 Paul Hy 02 Feb 2016

ah you're talking about NF 25/99 not the Spirit lake hwy. This is still a good road (tarmaced) but very twisty, its closed during the winter months and there's gates when it is. there are car parks before them. there are info boards at them with good marked trails etc.
 cat22 03 Feb 2016

I live in Seattle and, though I haven't driven those roads, I'd be happy to help with any other questions about the area. Message me through the forums if you like. There's absolutely loads of great hiking and scenery around here, it's narrowing down what to do that's the problem!
In reply to cat22:

Hi Cat,

Many thanks for the offer, I'll send you a message as you suggest. The more I see of North America, the more I think that one lifetime just wouldn't be enough to do justice to the place; you live in a well-situated spot!

Cheers,

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...