UKC

Yeti style gaiters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 02 Feb 2016
My Outdoor Designs yeti style gaiters are on the way out having given more than 10 years of sterling service.

What's good in that line these days?

Ta.
 alasdair19 02 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

my outdoor designs yetis make me an offer! I think only berghaus still do them
 rogerwebb 02 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Berghaus are doing them still and so far mine are doing Ok after 2 years.
 Mr Trebus 02 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

Terra Nova / Extremities do one called the Terragaiter that I remember getting a good review, but never used them.
 TobyA 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:

> Terra Nova / Extremities do one called the Terragaiter that I remember getting a good review, but never used them.

I've got them, but mine must be a good decade old now at least. They work well but have more toe creep than Yetis as I remember. I've never used mine massively but they were great at making my Nepal Extremes a bit more "expeditiony" on week long trips to Arctic Norway for ice climbing. I think by just keeping any snow out of the boots and less gloop building up on the laces etc. they make them a bit warmer even if they obviously add no underfoot insulation. Great in muddy UK too on your way up to the snow line, even if they seem to be completely uncool these days! Blame all the improved paths, so you're not knee deep in mud above the golf course on the way to then Ben anymore!
OP DaveHK 04 Feb 2016
In reply to TobyA:

I love mine, they make you feel pretty indestructible on walk ins! The Terra Nova ones are no longer available and it looks like Yetis are the only option.
 rif 04 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Pretty sure I've got some old Yeti gaiters, large size (fit size 9/10 boots) and fairly good condition, that you could have. Only 30 mins from Inverness, but I'm down south this week and next. If you're still not fixed by then email me via here.
Rob F
OP DaveHK 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rif:

That would be grand, cheers.
 Mr Trebus 05 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> I love mine, they make you feel pretty indestructible on walk ins! The Terra Nova ones are no longer available and it looks like Yetis are the only option.

Looks like they have them cheap on their website
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/clothing-accessories/all-gaiters/terragaiter-en...
OP DaveHK 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:

> Looks like they have them cheap on their website

I saw that but they only have small or XL
 ring ouzel 05 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I agree about feeling indestructible Dave! I have Berghaus Yeti's permanently on my Scarpas and I use them year round for biological surveying in boggy areas. The toe slipped off but Pete The Beast in MacPhersons (RIP) put them back on. If they slip off again I'll need to track down Pete to get them fixed, no way my puny forearms would do it.
 bouldery bits 05 Feb 2016
In reply to ring ouzel:

Use 2 teaspoons as a kind of tyre lever.

#ProTips
 malk 05 Feb 2016
In reply to ring ouzel:

the rubber has split and the front often slipped up from the toes on my old model- so not that impressed
the more recent ones look better but what keeps them on the toe?- do they need an inset in the boot sole?

OP DaveHK 05 Feb 2016
In reply to malk:

I've always just glued mine on.
 malk 05 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

bit overkill for a day out?
 ring ouzel 05 Feb 2016
In reply to malk:

Mines are *very* tight and only slipped off once whilst bashing through clear fell forest. Pete recommended glueing them as well, just a wee dab at the toe. I keep mines on all the time so I should do that.
 angry pirate 05 Feb 2016
In reply to ring ouzel:

I had a mate whose boots went mouldy under his yetis as he kept them on permanently. I'm a bit wary of leaving mine on full time nowadays.
 Dave the Rave 06 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I might have some at my mam and dads. I'll have a look next week. They are the old ones that used to fit the 'trionic SL scarpas' circa 1985. ( I thought they would only fit onto those boots with a specific moulding in the rand?)
OP DaveHK 06 Feb 2016
In reply to malk:
> bit overkill for a day out?

They're on winter climbing boots and it works a treat. If you don't glue them on any crust on the snow pushes them off.
Post edited at 21:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...