UKC

Help from a Spanish speaking climber?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimberGirl 03 Feb 2016
I was looking for some climbing specific vocab in Spanish but dictionaries don't really seem to do the job! If anyone speaks Spanish and could give me 5 minutes of their time that would be really helpful (no Google Translate though please!). It's for my GCSE speaking presentation. Thanks!
Specific words (others greatly appreciated too!):

climbing wall
belayer
climber
lead climbing
toprope
quickdraw
belay device
hold (and specifically: jug, crimp, sloper, pinch)
to grip
to pinch
move (and specifically: flag, reach-through, heel hook, crimp, dyno)
to clip
to fall
climbing competition
grade (how to say grades like 6c etc.)

Thanks so much!
 Timmd 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:
Have you tried emailing Barrabes.com?

It's a Spanish online shop which (as far as I know) has staff who also speak English.

I think this is the plural for climbing competitions by the way escalada competiciones
Post edited at 17:18
OP ClimberGirl 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks, this is good - even without emailing. Browsing the spanish section of their website gives some good gear-related vocab! Just discovered that climbing shoes are called 'pies de gato' - literally cat feet!
 Timmd 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

You're welcome.
 humptydumpty 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

> quickdraw
cinta / cinta express

> belay device
grigri
reverso seems to cover all tube devices

> to clip
chapar

> grade (how to say grades like 6c etc.)
either cardinals (6c = seis ce; 6c+ = seis ce mas)
or ordinals (V+ = quinto mas)
division seems usually dependent on UIAA vs French grades

Some extras:

Locking krabs are mosquetones
Rope: cuerda
Take!: pia / piame
Anchor: reunion
 pec 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

Be aware that the person assessing you (presumably your Spanish teacher?) probably won't have a clue about climbing specific words which could make things a bit tricky in the exam. Some of the words might also have double meanings and could be used by Spanish climbers to mean one thing but have quite a different meaning to a non climber and not make much sense to your assessor. Might be best to discuss this with your teacher first to see what they think.
 melocoton 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:
I am a French and Spanish teacher who is responsible for conducting GCSE speaking assessments in both languages and my experience urges you to extreme caution. For you to have the best chance of showing off what you know how to say in Spanish your teacher needs to be able to ask you good follow up questions, which means them having the vocabulary to do so. If it were an English exam would your English teacher be able to ask you questions about climbing to develop what you had covered in your presentation? Probably not, therefore much less a non native Spanish teacher. They probably wouldn't understand most of the technical terms you used in your presentation either, which would be a problem for them trying to mark it if it is a centre assessed component, and the moderator at the exam board would be in a similar position. If one of my students decided to do a presentation on, oh I don't know, say quilting, I would be completely stymied, and consequently they wouldn't have the opportunity to achieve well. I understand why you want to talk about something that you are passionate about, but at the end of the day the point of it is to show off your Spanish in a GCSE setting. At the very least, like pec said above, discuss it with your teacher to give them the chance to do some homework!
 Mr Lopez 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

Mmmh ok. I'm going to start with the disclaimer that i'm going to be equal parts an ass and somewhat nice, not mutually exclusive per se, but...

If you do a very quick search there's loads of threads in this site with exactly the same question and most of the answers you need, and putting in Google "spanish climbing dictionary" throws out hundreds of links. It takes 1 minute!!!

That said, i now feel compelled to help you to make up for it, so:

> climbing wall

Rocodromo

> belayer

Asegurador

> climber

Escalador

> lead climbing

Escalar de primero

> toprope

Escalar de segundo

> quickdraw

Cinta (express)

> belay device

Grigri (for assisted devices)
Cesta (for tubes)
Placa (for the old school brake plates)

> hold (and specifically: jug, crimp, sloper, pinch)

Presa (cazo, £apa/regleta, romo, pinza)

> to grip

Meaning???

> to pinch

Pinzar

> move (and specifically: flag, reach-through, heel hook, crimp, dyno)

Paso (cruze de pierna, cruze de mano/brazo, talon, arqueo, we don't do dynos in Spain

...dinamico

> to clip

Chapar

> to fall

Caer

> climbing competition

Competicion de escalada

> grade (how to say grades like 6c etc.)

Grado (same as over here, though you can use ordinals when a letter subdivision is not used. i.e. That route is 6c - Esa via es (un) seis c ; or That route is a sixth - Esa via es un sexto)
Post edited at 22:20
OP ClimberGirl 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Ok, sorry. I did search the keyword 'spanish' and didn't see anything of use on this site - i was in a hurry and looked again this am and suddenly found loads! Re google - there are some but most seem to be full of typos etc so i thought asking some people who might have native speakers etc would be better than a load of random guys on the internet.......oh wait....
Thanks for the help - really good!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...