UKC

Rap line for crevasse rescue suitability

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mtom91 04 Feb 2016

Now that Petzl have released their RAD system, I am wondering whether it would be possible to use Edelrids Rap line 2 for the same purpose? I already own all the parts of the RAD system par the rope. I would be using it for ski mountaineering mainly.

My main questions are:
Now they have incorporated this "shock absorbing"effect inside the rope, would falling into a crevasse cause it to rip and therefore making it hard to haul them out or perhaps once you start hauling them out it could rip?
Is the rope too stiff to sit in chest coils comfortably?
The RAD line is 6mm and the Rap line is 6.5mm so does that mean that the traxion and tibloc work on both?

Just some food for thought....
Post edited at 11:13
MarkJH 04 Feb 2016
In reply to mtom91:
> Now they have incorporated this "shock absorbing"effect inside the rope, would falling into a crevasse cause it to rip and therefore making it hard to haul them out or perhaps once you start hauling them out it could rip?

The marketing for the Edelrid line sugest that it 'rips' at about 4.9kN... The crevasse fall test by Petzl give a maximum impact force during a crevasse fall of 1.4kN (using the static cord). That suggests that it is unlikely to rip during the course of a normal crevasse fall or haul. Obviously there may be variation in impact force (caused by slack in the line etc etc). But as a starting point it suggests that it shouldn't be a problem. May even be a benefit, having the extra backup in the system..

EDIT for links:

https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/Simultaneous-progression-and-fall-arrest-...
vimeo.com/112410943
Post edited at 12:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...