UKC

Where should I live in N.Lancashire, Cumbria, Scottish borders?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 A Walker 06 Feb 2016
I know this topic comes up now and again but here I go anyway.

I've been living in Falmouth, Cornwall for the last 4 years but have recently taken a new engineering job that will have me working midweek on sites predominantly on the M6 corridor Scottish borders to Liverpool although I could end up anywhere. I loved Falmouth, boats, lively interesting community, good pubs, bars a bit crusty around the edges (got on well with the sea/land hippies), uni students keep the place alive in the winter and not too touristy in the summer and of cource not far from some of the best sea cliff climbing in the country. Its the most homely place I've lived so far. I'd still be there now but employment in the far SW is hard to find and I wanted to give living in the hills a go and get some greatly needed work experience. I do love the mountains, more so than the sea, and would like to see myself living in the wild hart of them but I do miss the life I left behind in Cornwall.

That all said what I'm really looking for is a Falmouth in the hills with all the above mentioned positive traits but in a stunning mountain location. I'm flexible on location as all my travel expenses are covered by work but I'd like to stay within 30min drive of the m6. I'm also flexible on accommodation and happy to live 'basic' or even a bit 'rough'. I've lived in caravans, bell tents and boats before so am well versed in alternative, low cost accommodation. I spent the last 3 years living in the back of my workshop in Falmouth and have to say that it’s the most at home I've ever felt before. Living and working around other likeminded, interesting and creative people has a lot going for it. Work pays for me to live out of hotels during the week so it doesn’t make a lot of sense renting a house or room for just the weekend. I'd be happy living out of my van but still want a reliable base I can call home preferably with access to a lockup I can store my toys and play with cars at the weekend as well as proximity to a town with all the positive traits I like. Not forgetting the mountains too!

Well there’s a brief overview of what I'm looking for and the kind of person I am. Can anyone suggest a suitable interesting place? Best I can think of is Kendal but I doubt it’ll be much competition compared to Falmouth.

Cheers

Adam
 deacondeacon 06 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Falmouth really is a one in a million town and I honestly don't think you're going to get the same lifestyle anywhere in the Northwest.
What are your other priorities?
Accessibility to climbing/climbing wall etc?

There's some great places to live in the North West but nothing like Falmouth.
Would Hebden Bridge be too far out your way?
 felt 06 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

If you catch it in the right decade Nenthead can be a bundle of fun.
 johnwright 06 Feb 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

> Would Hebden Bridge be too far out your way?

Make sure if you go for HB, buy some waiders, it tends to be a little damp in the cooler months. Only joking it a great place.
 BnB 06 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Without a shadow of a doubt HB is the only settlement in NW England with the vibe you're after. Unless you count its cheaper neighbour Todmorden which is much enhanced recently by the overspill from HB. Gloomier, wetter but more fun nowadays.
OP A Walker 06 Feb 2016

I had suspected that Falmouth might be hard to beat. I've lived all over the place from the north of Scotland, west wales, shropshire and recently spent time traveling in South America and NZ. I've always had my eye open for a new place to live but even after traveling I still felt that Falmouth was the place to be. Many of my friends have traveled the world and returned to Falmouth. Funny I never thought it was quite that good until I left.

Priorities right now are really focused around mountain activities. Climbing is a must, trad mainly but also bouldering. I'm also into alot of other activities such as paragliding, hangliding, gliding (do love my airsports), caving and more recently mountineering. I'm the multi activity type. Allot of these activities arnt great in Cornwall, flying of any type isent brilliant, and thus part of the reason I moved away. I want to give living near the hills a good go, last chance before I decide to run away back to Cornwall. Hebden bridge I think is a little out of the way, I'll be bashing up the M6 most of the time and want to avoid queing in traffic Friday afternoons. Also last time I was in Hebden Bridge I cant say that I was that intrested. It was some time ago but I just found it a little odd, not sure how else to describe it. I've found that some alternative types try so hard to be alternative that they become almost anti-conventional and I'm neither. I just like to live around open minded people that are happy to get on with anyone hence why climbing peeps are generaly my type. Might have the wrong impression of HB but I think its a little too far out of the way and maybe a little too wet.

Kendal although maybe not the town I'm after I felt was in a great location both for all the activities I like and work. I know there are alot of clubs I could just join that would give me an instant social scene, climbing, mountineering, paragliding and eden soaring over in the North Pennines. Plus Scotland is in reach which was totaly out of the question in Cornwall. The alps where more accessable from cornwall than scotland.
OP A Walker 06 Feb 2016
In reply to felt:

Nenthead? The tiny mining village in the North Pennines? I've lived in some remote places and sometimes they can be intresting but what makes this place good?
 felt 06 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Hippies in the 70s
 The New NickB 06 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Lancaster? Nice small city, sea and mountains pretty close by. Very convenient for the M6. Lots of students, ex students and hippy types.
Removed User 06 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Preston has excellent transport links. Only 20 mins from Lancaster.
OP A Walker 06 Feb 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Yeah, I had concidered Lancaster. Cheap houses and old industrial buildings I might be able to set my man lab back up in. Think I might have come accross as been more of a hippy than I actualy am. True I have lived around that scene but I'm more the open minded side of conventional. I spend my working days on enginering sites around hairy contractors and so far have managed to stay alive.

Students, ex-students and hippy types have in my experience always made a better place to live, Lancasters a good shout.
 deacondeacon 06 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Just a shame you can't move Falmouth up North eh?
i managed to escape to Sheffield with a Cornish maid. Although Sheffield is absolutely no good for your work, it would tick all your other boxes.

Get another job?
OP A Walker 06 Feb 2016

Sheffield was one of my other choices before this job came up but I think its a little too far. I'm from Leeds and rate it as a place to live so its not a stretch to the imagionation.

I might contemplate another job if this one doesnt improve anytime soon but I have to give it a good shot. The experience I'll gain will put me in a better position to pickup work in Cornwall should I decide to move back. Might as well give living back in the north a go while I have the chance.
 bouldery bits 06 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Recently moved to Kendal. I think its decent.
In reply to bouldery bits:

Whitehaven. Boats, sense of community, crusty bars. Nae students like but that's a bonus. 45 mins from the M6.
 Johnsulli 06 Feb 2016
In reply to cumbria mammoth:

Aye, and brilliant bouldering at St. Bees nearby too!

Cost of living is better than places like Kendal/Keswick despite not being far from the lakes. Plenty of mountaineering clubs in the area.
Clauso 06 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

You're not remotely welcome anywhere in the north. Just f*ck off.... I speak on behalf of everybody beyond the Midlands.
 Mick Ward 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Aye, 'oop North, they're not backward in coming forward...

Mick
OP A Walker 07 Feb 2016
Anyone got any opinions on Morecambe. Some pretty cheap houses. Maybe theres a reason for that.
 deacondeacon 07 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:
It's a dump
OP A Walker 07 Feb 2016

As much as I expected
 The Lemming 07 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

30 minutes from the m6?

Blackpool

Pubs?

Blackpool

Sea?

Blackpool

Pubs?

Blackpool

Interesting people?

Blackpool

We'll gloss over the crappy bits
In reply to The Lemming:

In reply to the OP - DONT!

Lancaster is your best option - if you rule out Hebden.
 petegunn 07 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

kendal would be a good starting point as you have the lakes and Yorkshire dales right on your doorstep.

Scotland will be more accessible and north Wales isn't too far.

Great opportunities for all activities, caving, paragliding, climbing, bouldering, mountaineering, small boat sailing, windsurfing etc.

But you will miss the coast.
In reply to A Walker:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Penrith
cragtaff 07 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker: Whoever suggested Todmorden must be having a joke!

OP A Walker 07 Feb 2016
In reply to petegunn:

I dont think I'll miss the coast that much, not if I've got the hills on my doorstep. I lived in Cornwall for 4 years and never spent a day on the beach. The sea is good but it generaly looks the same wherever you go.

I think I'm seeing some convergence now. Its either Kendal, Lancaster or somewhere inbetween. Next step is to spend a few weekends looking around if the weather ever improves.

I anyone has a room they want to rent out on weekends let me know.

Thanks for your input
 The New NickB 07 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

> Anyone got any opinions on Morecambe. Some pretty cheap houses. Maybe theres a reason for that.

I wouldn't live in Morecambe itself, which is where the cheap property will be, although various nice options close by, but in a quiet sort of way.
In reply to A Walker:

I know Falmouth quite well, the NW England less so - go with Lancaster.
Removed User 07 Feb 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

> Whoever suggested Todmorden must be having a joke!

It's the centre of the known universe.
 Bulls Crack 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

That'll be the steep valley sides and the constant rain
 Peter Metcalfe 07 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Plus one vote for Lancaster. Very under-rated city.
 The Lemming 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:
> In reply to the OP - DONT!

> Lancaster is your best option - if you rule out Hebden.

OK, name one reason not to move to Blackpool, the second cheapest place in the country to buy a property?
Post edited at 21:53
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't need to name a reason - just look at your past posts.
 scruff 08 Feb 2016

Bit harsh. Morecambe (excluding the west end) is OK, no match for Lancaster but rather live there then Preston...
 deacondeacon 08 Feb 2016
In reply to scruff:

Just because it's not as bad as Preston doesn't stop it from being a dump. There are a few nicer areas of Morecambe (but nothing that'll suit a self-confessed hippy from Cornwall). You still have to go into the town for shopping, and unless you're a fan of greggs/ poundshops/ watching kids spit on tramps you're going to be severely disappointed. Perhaps you could take your life in your own hands and go to that pub that's the only thing left from frontierland? It's like a real life cowboy bar where you may not make it out alive, just like the old days.
Oh but you've got the coast. Well if you don't mind lying in the mud to sunbathe you've got the beach but don't you dare go for a paddle, that bay will eat you alive.
It's also not particularly handy for someone using the M6 everyday, where you've got to thrash through the Lancaster traffic or traipse through a load of country roads to get to it.
I could go on about all the old hotels and b&b's which are now converted into homes and halfway houses for the destitute or the heroin problems which are rife throughout the West End but I won't.
My parents lived in Slyne-With-Hest and although it was one of the nicer areas you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere in the country to match its dullness. They've moved to Grange-over-sands for a bit of excitement.

Anyway, I'm sticking with my opinion. Morecambe Is A Dump.
 BnB 08 Feb 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

> Whoever suggested Todmorden must be having a joke!

Tod used to be awful but its changing fast. How well do you know it? I'm from HB and the bars, restaurants and parties are livelier (in a good way) in Tod nowadays. Property is miles cheaper and the hippy vibe is building. The weather however is considerably gloomier even over a distance of only 5 miles.

If you've not been there in a while you might be surprised. Several friends have moved there lately and love it.
cragtaff 08 Feb 2016
In reply to BnB: About a year since I went into Tod (and Bacup), thought it was still a really dark, miserable and depressing area. Then again I wasn't looking for hippy parties, so might have missed the good bits!

Love HB, really nice place.

The New NickB 08 Feb 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

I'm in Todmorden quite a bit, I was there yesterday in fact. Hasn't quite got the retail offer of Hebden and the pubs in town are a bit more 'authentic' but it's got a lot to offer. Bacup on the other hand is beyond redemption.
 Ridge 08 Feb 2016

Quality post on the joys of Morecambe! Much as I like living in West Cumbria that could apply to much of the coastal strip. It's also a drag to get to the M6 from the Whitehaven / Workington / Maryport areas.
 CurlyStevo 08 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:
Scottish Borders is not great for local cragging and the mountains are still quite a long way off. The Lakes although gorgeous is not such a great base to enjoy the countryside as its wet so often around there. Yorkshire the weather is really quite descent and the Eastern Peak isn't too far too drive for a day trip if the weather is better there (Eastern Peak has got to be the most reliable weather climbing areas with a good quantity of climbing IMO, although I guess Swanage - Portland / Northumberland / Avon - Wye are all good on that front also).
Post edited at 16:28
 scruff 08 Feb 2016

Each to there own. I won't disagree with you about the West end, the cowboy bar (yes I have been) or Sylne-with-Hest being dull. Still recon your being a far to negative about the rest. Anyway the OP can detour on his way out of Lancaster and find out for himself.
 LeeWood 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Peter Metcalfe:

I do know that you can buy treacle parkin in Lancaster
OP A Walker 08 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Steady on, getting a little heated now.

I think Lancasters a good place to start, sounds like the better town and is close enough to Kendal for all the club meets and climbing wall. I'll take a look at Tod and HB on my way back though to my parents place in Harrogate some time. Think I might have grown out of the hippie scene now that I've got a proper job but its worth another look.

Cheers
 Andy Hardy 08 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

I haven't any experience of the places mentioned in the thread, but I have noticed that they are all on west of the M6. Have you thought about somewhere like Kirby Lonsdale? (If it's not too far off the M6)

Morecambe

> It's also not particularly handy for someone using the M6 everyday, where you've got to thrash through the Lancaster traffic or traipse through a load of country roads to get to it.

The Lancaster - M6 crawl will soon be consigned to history. The new M6 / Heysham link road is going well and due to open on time in Summer 2016

OP A Walker 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I'd be happy so long as I wasnt more than 30min off the M6, less is better. Did think of Kirby Lonsdale but thought it might be a little too sleepy for me, never been so cant say for sure. I think places where the ex-students and outdoorsy lot live probably has what I want.
 The New NickB 08 Feb 2016
In reply to BnB:

You can't be from Hebden Bridge if you describe it as being in North West England!
 BnB 08 Feb 2016
In reply to The New NickB:
I am very proud of being from Yorkshire but we're half the distance to the west coast as we are from the east coast. Manchester is more south than west, Glossop and Buxton are further east, and the weather is most definitely of the NW. Even Halifax feels parched in comparison and Leeds feels like the Gobi desert to me.
Post edited at 21:58
 Dauphin 08 Feb 2016
In reply to A Walker:

Todmorden Bridge. Too far from the M6. Its a nice place in spring and summer. Desperate at any other time. Love the Trades but Is it really still as interesting as it was 20-30 years ago, or is full of poseurs, yummy mummies and skag heads? Genuine question.

D
 BnB 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

If you had experienced the incredible outpouring of community pride and genuine love between townsfolk that accompanied the recent floods you wouldn't question for one moment that it is a special place.

But then I like a town that embraces both yummy mummies and skagheads so perhaps I'm an unreliable witness.
 Peter Metcalfe 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

I very much doubt both of those assertions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...