UKC

Another climbing van thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 06 Feb 2016
So I'm in the market for a small- medium van for a basic camper conversion, I've got 5k to play with and ideally want something with less than 80k on the clock. Can any one tell me if the Fiat Scudo/Citroen Dispatch/Peugeot Experts are any good?
Transits and T5's would be too big, Vitos seem to come in a little too expensive and a Caddy Maxi/ Doblo Maxi just don't have enough head room or a third seat.
Thanks for any advice!!
 elliott92 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Tigger:
Got a Peugeot expert and done a mini conversion on it. Couldn't go full conversion as I still use it for work. Bed set is great in it. Can shoot you some photos if you want a gauge to see what you can fit in it. I am getting rid of though as I'm looking for something bigger. As for the van.. economical, drives like a car and haven't (touch wood) had any problems since I've had it. Would reccomend it. Can't comment on the others

Edit.. drove to font with 3 in the front.. it's a bit small for long haul journey with 3
Post edited at 23:14
OP Tigger 07 Feb 2016
In reply to elliott92:

Sweet, how many miles have you put on it?
 johnwright 07 Feb 2016
In reply to elliott92:

I've had lots of experience with Fiat Scudo's, they are generally reliable, the 90 bhp ones a bit on the slow side but driven sensibly you will get 40 mpg. The 120 bhp model is a flyer, almost capable of reaching 130kph in 4th gear (out of 6) they can be heavy on tyres thou. The fuel tank is big enough to do aproaching 10000 kms if you believe the on board computer. The centre seat is a bit on the small side, not good for a large adult.
 elliott92 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Tigger:

Not many. Got it at 38000 and it's got 46000 now. Had it for about 4 months. I wrote of a massive Vauxhall movano last year and knew this one would be too small for me but my brother got it through work as a trade in so got a good deal on it.

Great van for 2 people. Claustrophobic for 3 though. Hence why I'm going up a size

OP Tigger 07 Feb 2016
In reply to elliott92:

So um... what do you think the asking price will be?
 elliott92 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tigger:

Won't be selling for 2 or 3 months yet mate. I'll be putting it up for 7k
 pec 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Tigger:

Just a thought, many of these vans are essentially the same as people carriers, eg the Peugeot Expert is the same as the Peugeot 807 without the seats or windows.
You may find the tax and insurance on the people carrier a lot less than the van and if nothing else it widens your choice of vehicle when buying.
You can make a diy boot conversion along these lines like this
http://www.amdro.co.uk/boot-jump-camper-car/boot-jump-with-screens-water-bo...
which allows you to "convert" it to a camper as and when you need it whilst retaining the rear seats for passengers when you want.
Lots of people seem to do this with smaller car/vans like the Berlingo/Partner/Kangoo etc but I find them a bit small.
Instead I recently bought a mk.2 VW Sharan for this purpose (Same as a mk.2 Ford Galaxy/Seat Alhambra). Its nice to drice, plenty of power and averages about 43mpg on a mixed use tank but closer to 50mpg on motorway/A road driving. I've taken out the 3rd row of seats so its basically an enormous 5 seat estate car for day to day use.
I suppose it depends on whether you want a permanent conversion or not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...