UKC

Belated confessions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jim C 07 Feb 2016
A few nights ago a woman appeared at our door, she was looking for my wife.

She introduced herself as someone that used to work with my wife ( my wife has been self employed for many decades) She said that there was something that she needed to talk to my wife about, her face was very serious.

It turned out that the woman had looked up my wife to tell her that it was she that had stolen money out of my wife's purse at work 38 years ago!
( It was 50 quid, and that was a lot of money to us way back then)

She said that she had a drink problem at the time , and had got behind with rent, she took the money with no thought of the effect on my wife , nor did she care at the time what the effect of losing that amount of money would have been for my wife. She then handed my wife £40 .( £10 short of the amount stolen!)
never mind the loss of the value of £50 taken at salaries back then.

My wife, told her that she had never for a moment suspected her, as they had been good friends, and that she forgave her, and gave her a hug and sent her on her way.

How would you want your partner to deal with such an unusual situation?

Andy Morley 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> How would you want your partner to deal with such an unusual situation?

Invite her in for a cup of tea and them poison her or creep up and knock her on the head and then (with your assistance) dispose of the corpse in such a way as to ensure you would not be discovered. It could just be the perfect crime, and somehow quite fitting to the circumstances. You could leave your own confession in a note only to be opened after both your deaths.
 flopsicle 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I haven't got a partner but I hope I'd handle it like your Mrs did.

She might have had a whole list of confessions after years of drinking. To return £10 less seems odd unless there was no way to repay everyone the full amount. I think it takes real guts to still go, still fess and still hand over some cash.

I hope your wife gets a treat for the £40!
 deacondeacon 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

In today's money it would be like stealing about £150, and she's come to your door, given your wife £40 and gone away believing that she has righted one of her (many?) wrongs.
I don't think I would have handled the situation as well as your wife, and she is the better person for it.
Go and have a nice meal with the money and appreciate the fact that you married a good 'un.
J1234 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:
I think your wife is tops.
The woman is obviously trying to get her life together, so best of luck to her.
I hope my wife would act in the same way.
Post edited at 08:44
 Greasy Prusiks 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Full respect for both the woman for her confession and her attempts to put it right and your wife for having the heart to forgive her.
abseil 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> .....How would you want your partner to deal with such an unusual situation?

The same as your wife, forgive and forget, I hope.
Gone for good 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

When my Mother died we found out she was 10 years older than we thought. Apparently she had swore her family to secrecy shortly after meeting my Father.
Her parents carried this secret to their graves and her Brother, my Uncle Phil, revealed the truth on the morning of the funeral.
I thought it was hilarious but my Father was not too amused when I told him.
They were married for over 30 years before they divorced and it had never occurred to him she was that much older.
Not really a belated confession, more a startling revelation!
 nastyned 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I believe part of the 12 step programme is apologising to people you've wronged due to drinking.
In reply to Jim C:

Is it too late to apologise to everyone I held up for 5 mins whilst cycling up the A82? Or have I got the wrong idea?
Jim C 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

> Invite her in for a cup of tea and them poison her or creep up and knock her on the head and then (with your assistance) dispose of the corpse in such a way as to ensure you would not be discovered. ..

I'm afraid I don't watch any crime programs for tips on how to evade detection, so I would have no clue where to start with that one

I did once watch an episode of Brookside, I think it was, a body of someone was buried under a patio. I don't know how that worked out though. I suspect that that might now be one of the first place the police look?

I think, that perhaps my wife's forgiveness was the right way to go. Personally, I would probably have not handled it as well.
Sadly my guess is my reaction would have been to say that it was actually £50 , and refuse the £40 offered anyway . Not sure about the forgiveness bit either. I guess that makes my wife the better person in our relationship, but I know that to be the case anyway.

I dare say , once the woman got her moral compass back, that crime would have been praying on her mind for decades.
( as I understand it was) She must have gone over and over in her mind how such a confession would be received , I do wonder, if she had anticipated the reaction she got.

Wsdconst 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

38 years of feeling guilty for £50 sounds like enough punishment, it's a bit shady of her to not give you the full amount, she could have just waited another month until she had it. I would have been tempted to get the calculator out and work out how much it would be today.
Jim C 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> Is it too late to apologise to everyone I held up for 5 mins whilst cycling up the A82? Or have I got the wrong idea?

Come back in 40 years, and UKC ,might, be more forgiving, at the moment, they would probably hang you if they had the chance
Jim C 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:
> 38 years of feeling guilty for £50 sounds like enough punishment, it's a bit shady of her to not give you the full amount, she could have just waited another month until she had it. I would have been tempted to get the calculator out and work out how much it would be today.

I think that, addled with drink, she just forgot the sum of money involved.
My own memory for past ills against me is pretty good. I can still name and shame the chap who borrowed £2.00 off me in 1975, when he did not have enough money for a Chinese meal bill he and our respective girlfriends shared.

So far NO £2:00 recompense !!!
(Nb. I married the girl I was dating that afternoon. )
Post edited at 10:29
Removed User 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:
Sounds like an episode of My Name is Earl but with less Scientology.
Post edited at 10:35
Jim C 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

My wife could probably have got away with that in other circumstances, as she looks much younger than her 55 years.
However, we met at school.
 gethin_allen 07 Feb 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

> In today's money it would be like stealing about £150,

Various inflation calculator suggest this is closer to £220-260, a substantial amount IMO.

KevinD 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> I dare say , once the woman got her moral compass back, that crime would have been praying on her mind for decades.

I think certain self help groups have this as one of the steps you need to follow. Find the people you have wronged and make it up to them. Not a 100% sure but vaguely remember some article listing some scenarios not that far from the one you give.

Timmd 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:
I'm single, but it's just the kind of way my mum would have dealt with it.

I hope I'd act similarly.
Post edited at 12:11
 peppermill 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

In my head repaying the money is an aside. She's tracked you down after 38 years (I'm assuming you've not had contact with her in that time?) to confess and apologise. That'd be enough for me!
 tspoon1981 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

My great grandmother apparently lied about her age to my great grandfather, she had to come clean when her pension came through several years before his was due. My great grandfather had known all along but had not wanted to upset her by letting on. I have no idea if it's actually true, but it's one of those family stories that gets retold every few years.
Jim C 07 Feb 2016
In reply to peppermill:

> In my head repaying the money is an aside. She's tracked you down after 38 years (I'm assuming you've not had contact with her in that time?) to confess and apologise. That'd be enough for me!

She tracked my wife down, but for who's benefit?
My wife 'gained' £40, hardly life changing , she had long forgotten about the loss, so for me, this was primarily to ease the woman's conscience.

She , did if course have other options, she could have just written an anonymous letter enclosing the money, with an apology , she chose the face to face apology, which I suppose is to her credit.

I would have liked her to let my wife choose how she would like to be recompensed, perhaps community service, charity work or similar may have been more appropriate, as I agree the money is an aside.
In reply to Jim C:

Do you check your wallet after she'd left...?
 obi-wan nick b 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:
The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation,
And it looks like I'm the queen.

The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I tried!

Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well, now they know!

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door!

I don't care
What they're going to say
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway!

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all!

It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me I'm free!

Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You'll never see me cry!

Here I stand
And here I'll stay
Let the storm rage on!

My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I'm never going back,
The past is in the past!

Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone!

Here I stand
In the light of day
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway!
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

Can I ask who wrote/composed that?
In reply to Eeyore:

Someone who hated parents.
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

It was a serious question, from someone who doesn't hate their parents.
Gone for good 07 Feb 2016

Frozen I'm afraid. And that's some confession admitting to knowing all the words to that tune!
In reply to Eeyore:

Sorry I wasn't saying you hate parents. It's a song from the kids film frozen. It has pushed more than one parent to the edge of insanity!
 Zombieclimber 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I'm really surprised that after this woman's effort to track your wife down and apologise and repay( what she thought was £40), you are contemplating (or so you come across) that she should continue to repay for her crime. She may have "made herself feel better" by doing this but at the same time, you have to have a conscience to act it out. In doing what she did, she has humbled herself and also put herself in the firing line for shame and fingerpointing to which you have demonstrated. People do things wrong, and people change. Surely, with that change there is forgiveness. I have a lot of respect for anyone who would do what that woman did...there are many people who wouldn't bother and would just get on with their life. Your wife, has also shown her value in forgiving her.
Tbh, I'm a big believer in forgiving someone if they haven't even acknowledged their wrong doing. Stops me from becoming a bitter and twisted, angry man! Peace!

Thanks! Sorry for being slightly slow.
In reply to Eeyore:

No problem. I envy you for not knowing what song it is!

I did recognise it as something I'd seen/heard - just couldn't place it. Sounds like I'm lucky!
 Timmd 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> She tracked my wife down, but for who's benefit?

> My wife 'gained' £40, hardly life changing , she had long forgotten about the loss, so for me, this was primarily to ease the woman's conscience.

Without consciences we wouldn't be prompted to do the right thing.

> She , did if course have other options, she could have just written an anonymous letter enclosing the money, with an apology , she chose the face to face apology, which I suppose is to her credit.

> I would have liked her to let my wife choose how she would like to be recompensed, perhaps community service, charity work or similar may have been more appropriate, as I agree the money is an aside.

I think you're being a bit harsh.
 Timmd 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> She tracked my wife down, but for who's benefit?

> My wife 'gained' £40, hardly life changing , she had long forgotten about the loss, so for me, this was primarily to ease the woman's conscience.

Without consciences we wouldn't be prompted to do the right thing.

> She , did if course have other options, she could have just written an anonymous letter enclosing the money, with an apology , she chose the face to face apology, which I suppose is to her credit.

> I would have liked her to let my wife choose how she would like to be recompensed, perhaps community service, charity work or similar may have been more appropriate, as I agree the money is an aside.

I think you're being a bit harsh.
 johnwright 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

I would have been tempted to get the calculator out and work out how much it would be today.

Spoken like a true Yorkshireman. lol

Jim C 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Zombieclimber:

Who's fingerprinting now ?

Toccata 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Many years ago when I had just started working a colleague borrowed £100 to go on holiday (I was a bit more trusting then). A year or so passed and no repayment then he left his job and denied ever having had the loan. He had done this to two other colleagues. About 15 years later he had done rather well and our professional paths crossed, and we went to dinner with several other high ranking professionals. I ordered some fairly decent wines (Momessin Clos de Tart and Rousseau Clos St. Jaques) and happily left him with the bill (over £1000) for repayment of monies owed. He had no option but to pay it. Karma.
 jkarran 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> How would you want your partner to deal with such an unusual situation?

Sounds like your partner handled it admirably. I'd put the £10 difference down to the effect of 38years on memory. Appreciate the courage it must have taken to come knock at your door, not the token amount she returned.
jk
 Wsdconst 08 Feb 2016
In reply to johnwright:

Well it's a bit of a cheek trying to make amends but still short changing someone, and to be honest she's done it to make herself feel better,to rid herself of guilt etc. I'm all for people righting their wrongs but at least give back what you stole in the first place.
Jim C 08 Feb 2016
In reply to jkarran:
> ..... I'd put the £10 difference down to the effect of 38years on memory. Appreciate the courage it must have taken to come knock at your door, not the token amount she returned.> jk

I'm not even sure if my wife took the £40 offered. I did not ask her that specifically, and may have assumed she did.

I agree, the money offered ( as I did say ) was an 'aside' , whether it was 1970's prices, or at 2016 equivalent, and I also did say it was to her credit that she came to face up to her victim. (Then reflected on who really benefited from that)

What my wife has NOT said ( she has not spoken much about it at all) is whether she welcomed the belated confession(and the pressure/ opportunity) , to forgive her.

I'm wondering if there are any here on UKC that have a secret crime/ bad deed , that is eating away at their conscience , and whether this story has made them think that a dace to face confession is the way go , or if this has made them think, best to let sleeping dogs lie?

DO share, you know how forgiving we are on here
Post edited at 23:33
mike bailey 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Which of us can put our hand on our heart and say we don't have some kind of skeleton (perhaps more than one) in the cupboard? Having just watched the final episode of War & Peace I can't help reflecting that forgiveness must be the greatest of human virtues.
cap'nChino 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> Is it too late to apologise to everyone I held up for 5 mins whilst cycling up the A82? Or have I got the wrong idea?

Somethings are just unforgivable.
 jkarran 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

> Well it's a bit of a cheek trying to make amends but still short changing someone, and to be honest she's done it to make herself feel better,to rid herself of guilt etc. I'm all for people righting their wrongs but at least give back what you stole in the first place.

Can you remember *exactly* what happened 38 years ago? 38 years ago and pissed? Can Jim or his wife for that matter? Memory is a remarkably plastic and untrustworthy record of reality.

I'm always amazed by how unforgiving, bitter and cynical people come across on here at times.
jk
Post edited at 10:37
 nutme 09 Feb 2016
I am afraid my girlfriend would take a benefit of machete we keep by the front door...
It actually has amazing effect on unwanted visitors even without touching it
 jkarran 09 Feb 2016
In reply to nutme:

Do you actually keep a machete by the front door? If so that seems pretty dumb and as like to be used on you or your partner as it is to land you in court should you ever actually feel the need to wield it.

Perhaps you'd be better getting the police around to discuss why you feel unsafe opening your door and recommend some security improvements?
jk
Post edited at 11:17
In reply to Jim C:

> ... or if this has made them think, best to let sleeping dogs lie?

I always think it is best to let sleeping dogs lie - unless there is a chance of this happening youtube.com/watch?v=1daWY7TjDtk&

(Video is of a dog running in it's sleep)
 Phil Anderson 09 Feb 2016
In reply to nutme:
> I am afraid my girlfriend would take a benefit of machete we keep by the front door...

Jesus! I'm not surprised you're afraid... I'd be terrified!
Post edited at 11:24
 Wsdconst 09 Feb 2016
In reply to jkarran:

38 years ago I wasn't born so no you're right I can't remember what I did, I'm really sorry for having an opinion. Would you like me to polish your halo, I'm neither unforgiving nor cynical but that is your negative opinion of me, yet I'm not allowed to have a negative opinion of a thief, it's a strange world we live in.
 jkarran 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

Once a thief always a thief?

You're allowed whatever opinion you like. Have I attempted to censor your post or are you just hacked off at having it challenged.

I don't have a negative opinion of you. I have a negative opinion of some things you (and others) have said. I don't know you.

jk
 Wsdconst 09 Feb 2016
In reply to jkarran:

> Once a thief always a thief?

> You're allowed whatever opinion you like. Have I attempted to censor your post or are you just hacked off at having it challenged.

> I don't have a negative opinion of you. I have a negative opinion of some things you (and others) have said. I don't know you.

> jk

I'm not hacked off at all, challenge all you like, I'll ask you this though if someone purposely broke your window, then apologised but only offered to pay a percentage of the cost to fix it would you be fine with that or would you expect them to pay the full amount ? Would you be happy that someone's else's selfish actions were going to cost you money ?
 jkarran 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

My window today or my window 20+ years ago when they could easily be forgiven for not quite remembering the price of glass?

Either way I'm pretty laid back, I wouldn't be happy to have suffered the loss but that quickly passes and the apology would be appreciated.
jk
Jim C 10 Feb 2016
In reply to jkarran:

> Do you actually keep a machete by the front door? If so that seems pretty dumb and as like to be used on you or your partner as it is to land you in court should you ever actually feel the need to wield it.

> Perhaps you'd be better getting the police around to discuss why you feel unsafe opening your door and recommend some security improvements?

> jk

Ironically, due to the cuts, you are very unlikely to be able to get the police round just to discuss why you feel unsafe.
( although they will probably turn up eventually to the crime scene , if an intruder uses the machete on you , or you on the intruder )

Jim C 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

> Well it's a bit of a cheek trying to make amends but still short changing someone, and to be honest she's done it to make herself feel better,to rid herself of guilt etc. I'm all for people righting their wrongs but at least give back what you stole in the first place.

I agree. I remember well when I lost a 10 shilling note my aunt gave me for my birthday as a kid , it would be less memorable now to find a 50p piece .So getting back an exact amount of what you lost many years ago is not going to be a big deal.

The value of things change over time

If a pal had 'stolen' a hot girlfriend from me 40 years ago, and felt guilty about it, and turned up at my door 40 years later with said 'hot ' girlfriend and offered me her back , I might well feel shortchanged
Helen Bach 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> If a pal had 'stolen' a hot girlfriend from me 40 years ago, and felt guilty about it, and turned up at my door 40 years later with said 'hot ' girlfriend and offered me her back , I might well feel shortchanged

So might she.

felt 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim C:

My mate won some well dodgy races and went on telly and fessed up and his masoose he dissed still sorta forgave him and everything but people they don't like him cos he's not for real.
Jim C 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Helen Bach:

> So might she.

That is a very good point Helen , and that reinforces my argument

The good news is I married my hot girlfriend ( she was not stolen off me) and 40 years on she still looks good.
(ME not so much)
 Pete Pozman 15 Feb 2016
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

Those "Frozen" lyrics are quite good aren't they? I only know it's quite popular. Hmm... new found respect.
It's a very sweet thing to forgive. One of those things that signify humanity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...