UKC

Garmin Connect - down again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SouthernSteve 07 Feb 2016
Garmin Connect seems to be down quite a lot recently - what alternatives are there for saving runs with some analysis. I have a Forerunner 620. Like the watch, not very keen on the website!
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Strava
 StefanB 08 Feb 2016

Garmin Connect is a nightmare! The reliability is awful.

The only reason I stick with it is because I have 5 years of training history there.
 Yanis Nayu 08 Feb 2016
In reply to StefanB:

I don't like it much, but not sure of the alternative if you have a garmin watch. The segment thing doesn't work - they should either fix it or remove it.
 yorkshireman 08 Feb 2016
In reply to StefanB:

> Garmin Connect is a nightmare! The reliability is awful.

Agree - especially on Sundays which is I guess when it is peak time for activity uploads.

> The only reason I stick with it is because I have 5 years of training history there.

I had several years on there but bulk exported them (think there was a third party service) and uploaded them all onto Strava. I've not got 6 years of history on Strava despite only being on it for 3 years. Definitely worth it.

https://strava.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917877-Import-Historical-Da...

However, because I have a Garmin Fenix, I need to sync the runs to my phone which uplaods to Garmin Connect. This then syncs with Strava to appear on there. It means when Garmin connect is down that I still have to wait to get to see my runs.
 DancingOnRock 08 Feb 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

Yes. If you're syncing via phone you need connect to be up.

You can upload your files straight to Strava via PC/USB.
 goose299 08 Feb 2016
I've never had any issues with Garmin connect recently. Any patterns for when it's been down?
Post edited at 14:15
 Run_Ross_Run 08 Feb 2016

It was slow this morning. I thought it was my Internet connection but maybe not.

Can't remember it being off completely though.
 Ridge 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Never had an issue with the phone app, although occasionally it takes a while to sync. Like most I have it upload direct from garmin connect to strava, so never use the garmin site for any length of time.
 nniff 08 Feb 2016

strava.

I've given up trying to get it to sync actively. I now just plug it in to an 'awake' computer to charge and go away and leave it. When I later log on to Strava it all seems to have sorted itself out.
 StefanB 08 Feb 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

> I had several years on there but bulk exported them (think there was a third party service) and uploaded them all onto Strava. I've not got 6 years of history on Strava despite only being on it for 3 years. Definitely worth it.

Thanks! This is really heplful!
OP SouthernSteve 14 Feb 2016

Thanks everyone. Sorry to be slow to reply – not the best of weeks!
 yorkshireman 14 Feb 2016
In reply to goose299:

> I've never had any issues with Garmin connect recently. Any patterns for when it's been down?

Whenever it has happened to me its been when I've tried to upload my Sunday long run - happened about 4-5 times over the last couple of years. Normally it will finally upload by Monday (I guess it gets worse throughout the day as the US start becoming more active).
 spearing05 14 Feb 2016
In reply to goose299:

Usually goes down on a weekend, presumably everyone trying to upload at the same time. I don't bother with it now. Use ST uploader app on my phone that links direct with the ANT+ on my watch then export straight to strava
Rich7 14 Feb 2016
Garmin connect hasn't seemed to be down but for the last 2 days it has been behaving a hit oddly.

I have a fenix 3 that syncs through a phone. When syncing with rides or runs, as well as the workout I did, garmin is creating multiple phantom rides/walks/runs that are varying duration, have no distance but occasionally odd heart rate data. This morning I ended up with my ride + 10 extra rides! Anyone else had this before?

In answer to the original question, I also find strava to be much better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...