UKC

6 Nations disappointment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 08 Feb 2016
Anyone else watching the rugger at the weekend think it was all a bit lackluster? Epitomised in the Ireland/Wales game with the most one dimensional rugby I think I've ever seen (potential exaggeration there). Hit-up, tackle, recycle, hit up tackle, recycle and repeat until there's a turnover.
 Chris Harris 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

Yes, it was nearly as bad as watching Rugby League at times.
Gone for good 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

I think that's very unfair to the Italians. I thought they were excellent!
 Trangia 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> I think that's very unfair to the Italians. I thought they were excellent!

Agreed! They have become a serious rugger playing nation.
 Toccata 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

Having grown up with the great Scottish teams of the 80s and 90s, the last 15 years have been miserable. The Six Nations has become a tournament of frustration, tedious rugby and annoyance that the European national game seems to be dying.
Gone for good 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Toccata:
You clearly didn't see England v France at Twickenham in 2015. An outstanding game of Rugby.
Don't let Scotlands deficiencies put you off the rest of the tournament.
Post edited at 19:12
 arch 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:
Yes I agree. I blame professionalism . Players today are too big and too fit and the game is built around defence rather than attack. Its more a game of attrition than flair these days. The small fat strong bloke has no place in the game today, which is a shame. His place is now taken by a 6'3" gym monkey and you've got wingers who should be second rows.

Bring back the sub 6 foot barrel chested props and see how many scrums collapse. Just let them get on with it,the ball will come out. Especially if the hookers actually hook the damn thing. I know France are poor at the moment, but when was the last time they ran it from their own 22 ?? Used to be a sight to behold did that. Now everyone just hoofs it.

I can't ever see it getting any better.

........I'm talking Northern Hemisphere here. Down under they play to different rules, or so it seems.

Edit: I don't think it helps the NH sides that Rugby up here is a winter game played on soft ground.
Post edited at 19:47
 Postmanpat 08 Feb 2016
In reply to arch:
> I can't ever see it getting any better.

> ........I'm talking Northern Hemisphere here. Down under they play to different rules, or so it seems.

Agree with most of that but actually if you look at the Premiership this season there is some much more ambitious rugby being played. Bath, Exeter and even Leicester (for God's sake!) seem to have recognised that the biff, boff, recyle and repeat approach has diminishing returns.We live in hope.
Post edited at 19:54
 arch 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

As an ex second row and a frequent Welford rd visitor, I'd have to say that a driving maul and an attacking 5 metre scrum are definitely things of beauty.

But therein lies the rub, let the packs get on on with it. You collapse the maul/scrum you get a good shoeing, the maul/scrum carrys on. The game shouldn't be stopped for that IMO. Let the game flow a bit more, rather than all this stop start business.
 The New NickB 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

I'm certainly disappointed by the repeated use of the term "rugger" on this thread!
 Trangia 08 Feb 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> I'm certainly disappointed by the repeated use of the term "rugger" on this thread!

B*gger off!
OP Derry 08 Feb 2016

> I'm certainly disappointed by the repeated use of the term "rugger" on this thread!

I take it you're more of a 'soccer' man then?
 Horse 08 Feb 2016
In reply to arch:

> I'd have to say that a driving maul and an attacking 5 metre scrum are definitely things of beauty.

Agreed (ex winger here) and there were good examples of both at the weekend.

I wouldn't read too much into the first weekend, not losing is the basic premise. Having said that I did fall asleep watching yesterdays fare.

BnB 08 Feb 2016
In reply to arch:

> As an ex second row and a frequent Welford rd visitor, I'd have to say that a driving maul and an attacking 5 metre scrum are definitely things of beauty.

> But therein lies the rub, let the packs get on on with it. You collapse the maul/scrum you get a good shoeing, the maul/scrum carrys on. The game shouldn't be stopped for that IMO. Let the game flow a bit more, rather than all this stop start business.

The scrum is certainly a real problem for the game right now. You can easily make a good strong cup of tea between the award of the scrum and the inevitable penalty for whichever team the ref didn't penalise at the previous scrum. Come to think of it that's what I'll do in future.
 The New NickB 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

> I take it you're more of a 'soccer' man then?

At least you didn't call it f**king footy!
 Yanis Nayu 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

I was excited by the prospect of the six nations, having loved the World Cup. I soon realised I loved the WC after the NH shite had been expelled. It's just a different game.
OP Derry 08 Feb 2016

I was tempted
 arch 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

FFS. If you're not born in the country you now play your international Rugby or coach for, please do not sing their national anthem. You were not born there, just keep sthum.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Feb 2016
In reply to arch:

Wales Scotland is shaping up nicely.
 arch 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Watching It now, don't tell me the score.

Gone for good 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Good open game so far.
France Ireland was terrible.
 arch 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

Jonathan Humphreys. Verrn Cotter, neither Scottish, both singing Flower of Scotland. Doesn't sit right.
Removed User 13 Feb 2016
In reply to arch:

> Jonathan Humphreys. Verrn Cotter, neither Scottish, both singing Flower of Scotland. Doesn't sit right.

I'm Scottish and I don't sing Flower of Scotland so that should even things out. I couldn't care less who sings it.
 arch 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User:
Well you should. Shame on you.

As an Englishman, even I know the words.
Post edited at 17:49
 Yanis Nayu 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

I'd love to see Dan Biggar at a girl's front door, waiting for her to answer so he could take her on a first date.

Cracking game.
Removed User 13 Feb 2016
In reply to arch:

Oh, I know the words. They're terrible.

I'll continue to belt out Les Marseillais when appropriate though
 arch 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Interesting..............

Indy 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

They should ban all kicking of penalites.
 arch 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Indy:

They should make Tries worth 3 points and Penalties worth 5 points. You wouldn't get any more Tries scored, but there certainly be less Penalties....................

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...