UKC

Montane Spitfire One Belay Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ModerateMatt 08 Feb 2016

I am thinking of buying a Montane Spitfire One. If anyone has one or experience could they give me a their thoughts. There isn't much about it online.

Also how do they fit? I am 6'3"and slim, usually take a large for length. Will I need an XL for layering?

Thanks for any help.

Matt
Post edited at 23:21
2powern 09 Feb 2016
In reply to ModerateMatt:

I've got one, anything in particular you would like to know?
It's very heavy, as to be expected, but incredibly warm with lots of nice features. I especially like the drawcords in the handwarmer pockets, can be tightened to have less dead space inside the jacket.
I've got one in small and it comfortably fits over a baselayer, fleece and shell. I didn't feel the need to size up for layering.
OP ModerateMatt 09 Feb 2016
In reply to 2powern:
Thanks for the info, very helpful. I just wanted to know what people thought of them, Spitfires have more insulation than the ME Citadel and can be found heavily discounted.

How do they stack up against a ME Citadel or DAS?
Post edited at 10:11
 BnB 09 Feb 2016

They're all warmer than anything you need for the UK so I'd get the one on best offer, sized to go over a shell as I can't imagine when else you need it. Unless you're a football manager I suppose.
2powern 09 Feb 2016

Not tried the DAS, but if I recall correctly, the Citadel has stretchy wrist gaskets that are a pain to get over large gloves.

Far too warm for most UK conditions, I've only worn it whilst walking around Poland in Winter and even then it was unzipped.
 peter_ellwood 10 Feb 2016

I just ordered a spitfire one yesterday for £140, in medium. I have owned a montane ice guide for years which I love but find it a bit tight over my layers (in small). I'm not sure if the spitfire is sized a bit differently as a true belay jacket but ordered the medium anyway. It probably is too warm for UK, but for an extra 200g over the ice guide it means I only need the one mid layer.

Pete

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...