UKC

My old dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 09 Feb 2016
is lying behind me now. Tired, on pain killers, doesn't want to walk. No longer gets up off his bed to follow me around the house or enter the bedroom in the morning and rest his head on the mattress before I get up. Still has his good moments but these are few and short in duration.

We've spoken (well, emailed as neither my wife or I can speak about it) with the vet and Flint is going on the long walk on 22 February, aged about 13, after spending 9 years sharing our home, life and adventures. Getting him cemented my identity as an outdoor person, going on my first wild camp with him high in the Mamores and many since then. Some of you will have shared your lives too with these creatures that work their way into your heart, curl around it and own it. I don't know why calling someone a dog is an insult: to me, it would be an honour.

You can see some photos of our trips in my gallery: these represent only a small fraction of our time together on the hills and none of the rest of the days we spent together.
 jkarran 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm sorry to hear that, it's a decision all dog owners surely dread but it is ultimately motivated by love and kindness. Try to remember you're doing the right thing and enjoy the time you have left together. The happy memories will still be there when the pain is gone.
jk
 Andy DB 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

He looks like a stunner. What a horrible decision to have to make. Just try to remember it is in his best interests and the good times you had. I also quite liked this little cartoon http://www.mentalbreeze.com/humor/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/he-has-been-wa...
In reply to Flinticus:

Tough decision but sounds like the right one. Try to keep his tale wagging until the fateful day arrives.
 Tony the Blade 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
What a terrible call to have to make, but as jkarran said motivated by love and kindness.

Edit: I clicked the 'dislike' button, not because I dislike the post, but that I dislike what you have to do
Post edited at 12:07
 mypyrex 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

So sad for you.

We've been through it and the lady who used to groom ours said at that time that she(our dog) had crossed the rainbow bridge.

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... "
 Trangia 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
I feel for you and know what you are going through having been there myself.

"Brothers and sisters I bid you beware
of giving your heart for a dog to tear"
Rudyard Kipling

But as with losing anyone or any animal dear to you, it's the time they shared with you that's so precious.
Post edited at 12:45
 Murderous_Crow 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

An incredibly difficult thing to do. You are showing your love for him in the most selfless way.

Luke
 Tall Clare 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

So sorry to hear this but it sounds like he's had a glorious life with you (and, I suspect, vice versa). My dog would send her condolences but she's too busy trying to snaffle the contents of the cat litter tray...
 Alan Breck 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Unfortunately I know exactly how you feel as we said goodbye to our old pooch last Thursday. Like you ours had a great life & had fantastic times in lots of different places. Doesn't help much though & I really can't be bothered with much at the mo. There's a big hole in our life & I'm sure that you'll be the same. Good to know perhaps that there's more than one sad old B*****D around...........Take care.
Removed User 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Really sorry to hear about Flint. I've greatly enjoyed reading about his trips with you. He's a grand lookin' collie with a indefatigable attitude. Chin up Ed; you've enjoyed some memorable outtings.
 arch 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

One of my pair is 13. He still gets about alright and enjoys life to the full. However, I've noticed he's slowing down a lot and enjoys the fireside just as much as his weekend walks terrorising the local Rabbit a Squirrel population. It wont be long before we have the same decision to make.

I take it Flint was a rescue ?? Good on you for taking him on, you gave him a second chance. I'm sure he loved you more because of that.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown
 rubble 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

... thoughts are with you ... been there a few times now and it's never easy. Mate gave me a copy of the poem in archs' post and every time I see it it brings back memories - the best of them and the saddest too, as well as a tear to the eye. All the best to you
 skog 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Flint's really lucky to have found his way to such a great pack, and to have had so many wonderful adventures in it.

You obviously know it's the right time, and so are doing the right thing. Best wishes to you all.
 Sean Kelly 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I went through this pain just before Christmas so I know exactly how you are feeling. For me perhaps the only downside to owning a dog.
OP Flinticus 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I remember your post and your dog. It's good for me that others feel as I do. Otherwise it seems a grief that struggles to find acknowledgment outside your own heart.
OP Flinticus 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Trangia:
Thanks for that! You trying to make me cry??*

*That's not hard at the moment
Post edited at 19:45
 blackcat 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus: Well done for being a fantastic pet owner and giving flint a life that every dog should have,a lot of people find it very difficult making that decision when its time , and some pets suffer because of that, so go spoil him rotten and take it easy pal.
OP Flinticus 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Really sorry to hear about Flint. I've greatly enjoyed reading about his trips with you. He's a grand lookin' collie with a indefatigable attitude. Chin up Ed; you've enjoyed some memorable outtings.

Yeah, we did. Glad you enjoyed them and got a view into his world.

His dogwalker called him 'a gentleman of a dog', though he was also a bit wild in his youth. I think the mountains brought him peace.
 Fraser 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm very sorry for the situation you now find yourself in. I've had to say goodbye to several pets over the last few years and its probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. (My wife and I got them all around the same time.) It's desperately sad, but there comes a time when you just know it's the kindest thing to do and, as you will be doing, you have to put your four-legged friend first, not your own feelings.

As the poem arch quoted above, The Last Battle, it's being there and stroking them, talking to them quietly and looking them in the eye as they say farewell to this world that is so very, very hard. I wish you and Flint well when the time comes.
 Big Ger 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Pet teach us some of life's great lessons, RIP to your dog.

RIP Barney

http://www.fatbeetle.com/galleries/Pictures%20of%20us/slides/barney%20today...

He was a good dog
 flopsicle 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Just best wishes.
 marsbar 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Much love. My dog is not at that stage yet, but I'm horribly aware of the inevitability of it (he is around 15 now)
 aln 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I feel your pain. I think we've spoken on here before on this subject and I'm sure you had some kind words for me when I was in a similar position. You're doing the right thing, it's hard but it's a kindness.
 Lornajkelly 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Poor old dog, but what adventures he's had!

I've never had a dog but a couple of years ago I said goodbye to my old cat in the same way (we decided it was time, because it was the best thing for her) after 22 long years. My first memory was of her birth, when I was aged 4. It's always a heartbreaking decision even when you're sure, as you are, that it's the right decision. I still miss her. All the best to you and your wife at this very hard time
 Ridge 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Other posters have said it far better than I could. He's had a great life with his pack, that's all any dog ever wants.
OP Flinticus 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

He looks like a great dog. They don't make it easy.
 Big Ger 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Not one bit.

My daughter was with us when we took him to the vet, it was her first experience of this needing to be done. As I say, it's one of life's lessons which we should thank them for. She now has her own dogs.
 Ian Archer 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

So very sorry to hear this. I'm a dog owner myself and dread the 'day' Although hopefully will be years off yet.
Looking at the photos you've given him a great life.

My thoughts with you.
 toad 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

It's always very hard, and nothing will make it any easier. But that's because you had such good times together. Focus on those and remember there's no finer companion on the hill
 nniff 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

You have my every sympathy - I've taken the slow walk to the vet myself with a couple of our pets and it's both awful and the kindest thing to do at the same time. I've never seen some of our very oldest friends in the same light since they made their old dog stagger on to the very end.

On a slightly lighter note, my son's a vet and had to put someone's very old horse down - they'd had it for over 25 years. As it went down his little finger got caught in its head collar and broke. Looking at the young vet's finger sticking out at an unlikely angle gave everyone something to take their mind off things. There was a pause. "Serves you right for killin' me 'oss". Sad smiles.
 SteveSBlake 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
We (Bronwen, Tim and me) feel for you. We have had three Collies. All strong personalities in their own right. Maisie took the long walk last year, quite elderly she had a minor stroke and went downhill fast. She had a great last couple of months dealing with Barney our new Collie, then a pup.

The vet came round to do the deed, he was very good and Maisie was calm throughout, focused as she was on the chicken she was enjoying, she just went. The vet was very keen that Barney saw her, thinking he would figure she was 'gone' and be less anxious in the aftermath. We let Barney in, he looked at Maisie, ate the remaining chicken and walked off!

I'm sure you are doing the right thing, it's tough when you love them, but you really do owe it to them to take the hard decision.

Steve
Post edited at 17:26
 Yanis Nayu 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Difficult time. Best wishes and enjoy the memories.
In reply to Flinticus:

Sad times.

Remember the good times and accept that it's the proper thing to do.
 Roadrunner5 11 Feb 2016
In reply to SteveSBlake:

My parents just lost their old dog, just shy of 16, the vet came around as well and also said let the dogs in to say goodbye and understand.

It was nice of him to do that, its easier if the vet can, it just makes it easier to deal with and less stress for everyone.
OP Flinticus 11 Feb 2016
In reply to everyone above:

Thanks for all your comments and stories. They help, especially in assuring me that we are doing the right thing. Earlier this year, I though Flint might last longer, maybe into the summer. That would have been nice, maybe a few last camps at Bennybeg, on the crag overlooking the fields: an easy spot for an old dog to get to (with a bit of help). However this is not to be. We did go on one last 'hill walk' over the New Year break, venturing nearly 2km into Glen Kinglas, a glen we had walked in a few times before, first as part of the route to Binnein an Fhidhleir. He really enjoyed this and even got to stare down and bark at some sheep on the opposite banks of Kinglas Water.

fmck 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Horrible time. Gus my Border terrier did his last hill Cir Mhor but sat down at Glen Rosa campsite. I had to carry him to the ferry.
Worse still I got screwed for almost £3000 by Glasgow small animals hospital misleading me to believe they could help. When we finally refused to pay any more money unless they were clear what they kept referring to their high success rate. They reckoned they could get a extra few months, not cure We took him home in a worse state than he arrived and with a big bill for nothing. He got better from his ordeal and lasted a few months before taking a fit one day. So we knew then it was the day.
 Man city 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Sad times

Your life, as mine is,is far far better from having a loyal, non judging dog in it.

Embrace every second of it, even the final ones
Removed User 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm terribly sorry that Flint's time is approaching. All I can offer are the thoughts of a vet and dog owner who has seen a lot of owners and their companions through this process and who has been through it themselves.

Making a decision to euthanise a pet is horrifically difficult. I've had many, many conversations with owners whose dogs are coming to the end of an illness. I'm often asked; 'How will I know if it's time to say goodbye?". I will often answer with words to the effect of 'If it's time, you'll know'. To those owners who are concerned enough to worry when they should make that decision, but are already primed to make it, and who know their dogs much better then I, as their vet, could ever do, their decision to say goodbye will be grounded in love and knowledge of their dog to a level that I could never aspire to as their vet.

In other words, you've made the right call to say goodbye to Flint, you have all of my sympathy, and you have my absolute assurance that you are making the right decision.I'm not sorry for Flint; he's had a fantastic life with you, no dog could have had a better existence. You're now making a decision to give him a gentle, dignified exit when the alternative would have been terrible for him. I am so sorry for you, but not for him.
My sympathies
rb
OP Flinticus 17 Feb 2016
That's it. He's gone, my old pup.
 toad 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

oh, you poor sod.
 jkarran 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry.
 Trevers 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Looking through your photos, it looks like you and Flint shared many adventures together. What better life could a dog possibly have had? The memories of the good times won't go away
 SteveSBlake 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry pal, it's sad and tough, but you did the right thing for him.

Take care,

Steve
 Tall Clare 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

So sorry to hear this.
Removed User 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> That's it. He's gone, my old pup.

Sad to hear that. I'll revist some Flints trips this evening.
 beth 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

What an incredible life you gave him!
RIP Flint.

Alan Breck 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks for your mail. If there's ever a "nice" way to go then that has to be it. Just sleeping away in the comfort of your own home and with your forever best pal by your side. Would that we could all go out like that.
OP Flinticus 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks. Can't believe he's not here. Expect to find him in the next room I look in.
 Timmd 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
> Thanks. Can't believe he's not here. Expect to find him in the next room I look in.

That must hurt. Over time it'll get easier and you'll be left with the nice memories.

That he had a happy life will be his legacy for you to remember him by.

Post edited at 16:02
 marie 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Don't know you or your dog, but *hugs*.

I have two dogs, both pretty young, and whilst I don't let it spoil our adventures, I sometimes sit and think about the fact they're not going to be with me that long (in comparison to human life expectancy) and wish that they'd live as long as me.

Which makes me get up and have a great adventure with them (and boy, they can give you adventure when you least expect it!).

By the sounds of it, you have many happy memories. Enjoy them - he'd want you to

In reply to Flinticus:

I'm really sorry for you. Am sitting on the train with tears in my eyes
andymac 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Unfortunately ,our maker wasn't overly generous when giving out allotted spans .

Especially where dogs are concerned.

Goodbye Flint.
In reply to Flinticus:

A dog is not our whole life, but we are theirs. What a lucky guy Flint was. You'll never forget him.

Thoughts are with you mate.
 arch 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Goodbye Flint old boy. Run long, run free.

Sorry for your loss.
 Ridge 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Really sorry to hear that. He had a happy life with his pack, which is all any dog really wants.
 aln 17 Feb 2016
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

> A dog is not our whole life, but we are theirs.

Wise words.
In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry to hear this sad news.
Sure you've given him a fantastic life.
Thoughts are with you.
 Welsh Kate 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry to hear this. Thinking of you.

RIP Flint.
 Yanis Nayu 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Best wishes.
 Fraser 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry dude. It's desperately hard for you right now but it'll ease with time.
OP Flinticus 18 Feb 2016
Thanks everyone. I keep coming back to this thread. I keep reading your comments and of own experiences. You should be proud of this community, nebulous and dispersed as it is. It's here that I find understanding.

pwhiteside 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I have found this thread very useful and sad in equal measures. My dog is 15 and has just gone onto pain killers for the rest of her life. She is skinny and has quite bad arthritis but thankfully she is still "up for it", for now at least. She was my first dog and the whole family love her dearly but we know we are now on borrowed time. We are also aware we have been so lucky to have such a wonderful loving companion in our lives for 15 years.
I wish you are the best Flinticus and want you to know you have been in my thoughts all week.

ericinbristol 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

To this day I feel guilty, 40 years on, that my family did not give our family dog a better life. It got taken out on walks and played with far less than we should. To this day I can remember its sad, willing, trusting look and I feel pretty awful, if anything more now. Thank you for giving Flint a good life and behaving a way a person should when they have a dog.
OP Flinticus 18 Feb 2016
In reply to pwhiteside:

Just keep loving her and make sure she knows it. It's going to be very difficult and you can't really prepare for it aside from knowing you gave her a loving home and a life well lived.
 Wainers44 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
Thought we were making that long sad sad trip to the vets about 4 weeks ago. However the stubborn old b*gger (16 1/2 yr old Springer, with very little bounce left in his bungee) recovered quickly from his chest infection (I thought it was much worse...).

So that awful sadness still lies ahead, but not that far away now.

As others have said, you gave your pal just the best of times, he gave the same to you.

Think back and smile, maybe a bit more as each day passes. All the best!
pwhiteside 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
I will do mate and thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...