UKC

Climbing film recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom F Harding 10 Feb 2016
I'm having a bit of a climbing film night with a few friends tonight and wondered if anyone has some good recommendations. Preferably 'feature length' and I'm happy to buy/rent new films on-line.
 Kane L. 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Tom F Harding:

Get drunk and stick on Vertical Limit.
 Dell 10 Feb 2016

Watched Meru the other day, I enjoyed that and so will you. Now available on iTunes.
Touching the Void is on Youtube, an oldie but a goodie.
 pebbles 10 Feb 2016

The last great climb or The Asgard project - both had my non climbing friends gripped. catherine destivelle "beyond the summits" for a more all round view. Valley Uprising if youre into the history. Hard Grit if you want to watch lots of big whippers!!!
 bouldery bits 10 Feb 2016

The first Psyche DVD has 3 great little films on it. My favourite still after many years.
 john_mx 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Dell:

I agree! 2 really good movies!
 hms 10 Feb 2016

Wizard's Apprentice
 Smelly Fox 10 Feb 2016

Are you friends climbers too?

If not Valley Uprising would be a good choice, or perhaps Touching the Void.

If they are, the Ondra film Wizard's Apprentice is good, or any of the Reel Rock tour films. Especially the one with Alone on the Wall on it.
OP Tom F Harding 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Kane L.:

Seen vertical limit a few too many times now... Is the new Point Break with Chris Sharma any "good" in comparison. I haven't seen that yet.
In reply to pebbles:

Seen most of your recommendations, really can't get that exited about the Alister Lee Trilogy, obviously amazing production values but they all feel a little soulless like a Redbull advert. Good watch but not nearly as good as Asgard jamming & Venezuelan Jungle Jam. Agreed though that non-climbing friends really enjoy them though. If you like that sort of thing the new redbull film with David Lama (A snowballs chance in hell - www.cerrotorre-movie.com) is possible the most stunning professional produced film I have seen. Filming Lama climbing the Cerro Torre headwall with aerial photography from a helicopter! Bonkers

I will definitely watch beyond the summits at some point - free on vimeo!
vimeo.com/97325417

Hardgrit is obviously amazing but my personal favourite video of all time is E11.
 elliot.baker 10 Feb 2016

Any of the Reel Rock series? I've enjoyed quite a few of them, King Lines I think I quite enjoyed as well. I intend on watching Meru soon too!
In reply to Smelly Fox:

Meru and Wizards Apprentice look great - haven't seen either.

Smelly Fox:
Yes all climbers
Removed User 10 Feb 2016

Dosage I - V

First Ascent, Hard Grit, Commited, The Scene (for the West Virginia section alone).

All available to rent/buy on steep edge.

All great
 Smelly Fox 10 Feb 2016
In reply to chrismcd:

I'd forgotten about the Scene. Really good film.
 Fraser 10 Feb 2016

'Underdeveloped' with some Irish wads is pretty good too.
 t__her6 10 Feb 2016
Meru, best film I have seen recently or The summit.
Post edited at 13:17
In reply to heron6:

Looks like Meru might be the one.

Any other suggestions though?
 petegunn 10 Feb 2016

Set in Stone, Dave Birkett
 JSH 10 Feb 2016

On Sight is the best trad climbing film ever!
In reply to JSH:

> On Sight is the best trad climbing film ever!

Its great but is it really better than E11?
 t__her6 10 Feb 2016

The trailer for Citadel looks amazing too, I haven't seen it yet but might be worth a watch. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/citadel

And is E11 better than Echo Wall?
In reply to heron6:

Cinematography in Citadel is immense but it has nothing on The Last Great Climb in terms of excitment.

Part of Reel Rock '12, but WideBoyz deserves a mention
 footwork 10 Feb 2016

One summer
 t__her6 10 Feb 2016
In reply to chrismcd:

The cinematography does look amazing. I will need to watch The Last Great Climb now, cheers for that!
 Michael Gordon 10 Feb 2016
In reply to chrismcd:

> And is E11 better than Echo Wall?

I would say so, in terms of the film itself (though I really like both). Obviously the places in Echo Wall are better!
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Will get it bought! I always fancied in, but as the route is also featured in Echo Wall i wasn't sure if it was worth it. The 8C+ solo in Echo Wall is pure bananas! Thought i'd throw that in, got a bit excited thinking about it.
In reply to chrismcd:

> And is E11 better than Echo Wall?

Echo Wall is good but I don't feel you get any insight into just how difficult it is. You know Dave is super strong already and it seems a for gone conclusion from the start - it feels like its a film about waiting for the right conditions. E11 on the other hand shows the utter obsession that a, at the time, reasonably unknown climber went through to climb what was the hardest trad route in the world. The insights with his wife, the crazy training regime and the of course the countless falls - It really is a tour de force of a climbing film. Better music as well.
 JIMBO 10 Feb 2016

North Face is excellent...
 tony 10 Feb 2016

It's not your usual whizz-kid rock-athlete type thing (although it does featue Dave MacLeod, so there's a bit of that), but the Long Hope is a terrific film. The stories it tells, and in particular the story of Ed Drummond and the way he deal with Parkinson's disease, make it quite a different type of climbing film. Possible not one if you just want a few gnarly whippers for entertainment, but if you like a bit of nice gentle reflection on the ups and downs of life, it's wonderful.
In reply to tony:

> Long Hope is a terrific film

Agreed, that's a great film. I love the fact Drummond's partner basically gave up climbing after that trip.
 stp 10 Feb 2016

Another one for the Wizard's Apprentice. The second Ondra film set in Norway is also very good. And the shorter (20 min) film of him and Sharma doing La Dura Dura is great.

Valley Uprising for its wonderful portrayal of the anarchic character of climbers it excellent too.
 mfisher 10 Feb 2016

Onsight
Progression
First ascent
Core
Swiss account
All reel rock tours

Enjoy! Matty
 barry donovan 10 Feb 2016

One for the future, feature length and really interesting old fashioned hemp rope and nail boots - "Five days one summer" (1981) staring Sean Connery. A good story in the film - old fashioned alpine mountaineering from the 30's, pegs and body belays with illicit sexual undertones. Really interesting back story about Hamish McInnis and the female lead. Safety crew were a virtual who's who of British climbing; Eric Jones, Joe Brown, Mo Anthoine, Ian Nicholson, Martin Boysen and Paul Nunn "living in 5* hotels, flying everywhere in helicopters and being paid fantastic wages". Available on Amazon Video to buy/rent but otherwise hard to come by.
 Fraser 10 Feb 2016
In reply to chrismcd:

For me, the best video with Dave is probably 'Triple 5' - the one with Tim Emmet.

http://davemacleod.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/triple-5-challenge.html

Link to the DVD below , but it'll be on Dave's site somewhere too.

http://www.needlesports.com/4322/products/triple-5-dvd.aspx

Tomtom 10 Feb 2016

Valley uprising was brilliant. And most recent reel rock tour was fascinating and hilarious. Can't go wrong with those two!
 Happeuss 11 Feb 2016

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Odyssey yet. Great british trad film.
 jsmcfarland 11 Feb 2016

My fave climbing film ever will always be Onsight but Odyssey is one of the all-time brit greats. Wideboyz, both Ondra films (new levels of obsession!!)

Bouldering films:
Life on Hold - Excellent, excellent excellent. What got me into bouldering. Very stripped back, non climbers and probably a fair few climbers won't like it.
Winter sessions, classic
Chasing Winter - good
Better than Chocolate - good
 Andy Farnell 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Tom F Harding: Stone Monkey. All other climbing films are still in its shadow.

Andy F

In reply to andy farnell:

> Stone Monkey. All other climbing films are still in its shadow.

> Andy F

Great film, although it could do with a tight edit to get rid of some of the self-indulgent bits. How about The Real Thing with Ben and Jerry? Great soundtrack, and the cringe-making self-indulgent bits seem to make it even better. The sequences in the campus board and the 1-5-9 are totally classic.
 StuDoig 11 Feb 2016

A vote for E11 here, more intense than Echo wall - though Echo wall has a bit more tension to it and I find it a bit more gripping.

I'd also really recommend Distilled, and for a more off the wall idea; Storms: the movie - a great piss take of climbing films and climbers by film making climbers....

5x5 is good too, as it "the Great Climb" but a bit on the long side.....

Cheers,

Stu

lummox 11 Feb 2016

The Real Thing.

For Kurt Albert and Nightmares On Wax.
 Mr. Lee 11 Feb 2016
In reply to chrismcd:

I wasn't sure what to make of the Last Great Climb. The top-down shots were filmed by first climbing the pitch, setting up camera, and then repeating the section. So what you are seeing is a second take. Alastair Lee talked about this at the London premiere. The Last Great Climb was as much about making a movie as it was climbing the route. It removes a lot of the tension for me. The shot of the climbers reaching the summit was presumably shot in similar fashion, given the camera person was already there. Essentially acting out their arrival. One of the great things about E11 for me is Dave Macleod's response to finally climbing the route. A second take would not have done justice. There's incidentally also some CGI on the Last Great Climb. I'd much rather watch a more simple production without all the repeat climbing to get the nice shots. Meru I thought did this very well. Much simpler camera shots but it felt more genuine as a consequence.
 Mr. Lee 11 Feb 2016

Hard XS hasn't been mentioned yet. I really enjoyed it. Particularly the videos on chalk and shale. Lots of esoteric climbing.

Also really enjoyed Crackoholic. It's about Bohuslan in Sweden, where the trad climbing tradition there is very similar to the UK. Features Leo Holding and Neil Gresham climbing some ridiculously bold stuff.
 muppetfilter 11 Feb 2016

There is only one film ..... The Eiger Sanction
 Smelly Fox 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:
Do you know if this is available to download from anywhere? It's an amazing film for sure! I lent my DVD to someone years ago and never saw it again!

(Hard XS I mean)
Post edited at 12:39
 Mr. Lee 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:

I couldn't find it on download anywhere so needed to buy the DVD.
 lummox 11 Feb 2016
In reply to muppetfilter:

Freeeiiitagg !! You aaashooole !!!
OP Tom F Harding 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:

I'm pretty sure that hard XS is available free online. Maybe through epic TV. It's one of my favourites as well.

Smelly Fox 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Nice one, thanks!
 Annabel Tall 11 Feb 2016

Nearly forgot ! Eric Jones - Eiger Solo - clunky crampons and tools with a torch gaffer taped to his helmet. Then if you get the dvd he goes back and base jumps it. And you can still get beans on toast from the man himself.
 duchessofmalfi 11 Feb 2016

Perhaps it was just me but I found Valley Uprising very dull...
 hipyhop 11 Feb 2016

Stonnis (AKA: Black Rocks the movie): http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/videos/stonnis/
 Big Ger 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:
> I wasn't sure what to make of the Last Great Climb. The top-down shots were filmed by first climbing the pitch, setting up camera, and then repeating the section. So what you are seeing is a second take.

Thanks for that, I'm glad someone else had that view, I didn't want to be called a "troll" for not liking it..

I saw it as an in-flight movie, and while watching couldn't work out why I wasn't finding it fantastic, then realised.
Post edited at 22:13
OP Tom F Harding 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

This is where the 'Jamming' series do so well. Some is filmed from the top some from the bottom but in a much more honest way. For example they show the fact they are aiding and cleaning some pitches for a a later redpoint. They go to similar places, climb much harder routes and seem to have much more fun and all while making highly entertaining videos. If you haven't seen them you are really missing out.

The full set:
Asgard Jamming
Vertical Sailing
Venezuelan jungle jam
China jam
 Rocknast 13 Feb 2016
Does anybody know what the movie is called which involves climbers scaling the north face of the Eiger and subsequently get into trouble with terrible weather conditions? I think most of the party died only hours before the rescue team arrived to help them. It must have been mentioned already but I just cannot enemies the title. May be considered more a documentary based on a real story as opposed to a movie..
 broken spectre 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Rocknast:

North Face?
 Mr. Lee 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Rocknast:

The Beckoning Silence was made into a documentary type film but think it was just for TV rather than general release? I remember it was very good.
 slab_happy 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

It's available on DVD, and yes, extremely good. They had a bunch of young local mountain guides playing Andreas Hinterstoisser, Toni Kurz and co. in the reconstructions, so they were able to get them to do some quite extreme things to get the shots they needed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...