UKC

Norway knowledge please-2 weeks in Bergen, Alesund, Jotunheimen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy healey 10 Feb 2016
Hi,

This is a request to kind souls with knowledge to help me plan our summer holiday.

My non-climbing and occasionally-belaying wife and I are flying to Bergen for 2 weeks at the end of June.

The plan is to hire a car and after a couple of days in Bergen to slowly drive to Alesund via Geiranger, stop for a couple of days, then head back slowly via Jotunheimen.

We'll be doing the touristy stuff, but I also want to throw in some easy access bouldering and sport. A long scramble or 2 would also be good, something like the South ridge of Bispen. Will we just find bouldering everywhere we go?

We'll try and spend most nights under a roof, but will have a few nights camping, including on overnight hike to somewhere with a lake or waterfall or something.

So please help me fill in the missing gaps, thank you, thank you very much...

Saturday - Arrive Bergen
Sunday - Relax day in Bergan
Monday - Pick up the car and hit the road
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday - Alesund?
Sunday - Alesund?
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday - Return car to Bergen
Saturday - Fly back from Bergen
 HeMa 10 Feb 2016
In reply to andy healey:

Beachen (the Beach) is a premiere sports crag near Stryn (and Geiranger) would be thing for bolt clippin'.

https://27crags.com/crags/stryn

A nice hike from sea level to the top of a nearby mountain (old tower at the top) is a nice hike (starts from Loen).

If the weathers clear, driving up to Dalsnippa is also adviced for the scenery to Geiranger fjord. Albeit I've only done it for skiing .

Some other locales for climbing also in 27crags...
 wbo 10 Feb 2016
In reply to andy healey: let me think about this a little as there is an awful, awful lot to do in the area you describe. How fit are you and the wife? There is more to do in Sunnmore alone than the whole of the Lake District

OP andy healey 10 Feb 2016
Thanks for the quick responses.

Stryn looks good, will definitely add it to the last.

Fitness wise, half of us are pretty fit To keep with the Lake District theme, Helvellyn would probably be classed as a big walk and would need a non-walking day afterwards.

I'm wondering if there's somewhere we could hike into that isn't uphill all the way for several hours, where we could pitch a tent somewhere pretty, ideally with some water and lots of boulders to play on.

Scrambling-wise, something around Mod would probably be more than enough.
 JamButty 11 Feb 2016
In reply to andy healey:

ermm, even if you don't climb it, you've got to go and spend a day staring at Trollveggen?

Nordie_matt 11 Feb 2016
In reply to andy healey:

For convenience cragging in Bergen Helleneset or Hellenfestning are a good shout, drop me a PM with your email and I can send you over the Topo for Helleneset if you want? Hellenfestning is not in the guide I have, though it is in the new guide.

Also there is Fjellsiden, which is right on the path up to Floyen, and has been retrobolted.

If you have the car and don't mind a 40 min or so drive you could head over to Sotra. Syltøy and Lokøy are a good shout, Lokøy having more lower grade climbs, with Syltøy being generally harder. I can also send the topo for these two as well, if you would like?

Matt
 Rog Wilko 11 Feb 2016
In reply to andy healey:

This is a very nice spot, only 5 mins from road and quite scenic.
Gjokeredet
I think there's enough info here for each route to make it possible to identify them.
OP andy healey 11 Feb 2016
Thanks all for the tips so far, looks like we're sorted for Bergen cragging.

Troll Wall I climbed on 25 years ago and we'll definitely be going back for a look-see.

Stage 2 - the journey to Alesund. We'll do it over about 4 to 5 days, ideally camping or wild camping on the way, next to sun-dappled waterfalls and pastoral boulder fields. Suggestions welcomed...

wbo 12 Feb 2016
In reply to andy healey: one comparatively small hill thats en route and spectacular but easy is Eggjenibba just S of Byrkjelo. Skåla , above Lor
En, has good viiews, but is a boring 1800m up. I like Saudahornet above Ørsta/Volda

mutt 12 Feb 2016
In reply to andy healey:

I recommend a boat trip from Bergen, as the archipelago is stunning. Give it the time it needs - you can actually take a ferry up as far as Tromso but maybe go to Kristiansund by boat. I spent 2 years sailing in and out of Bergen and Kristiansund and I never tired of the passage.

Driving in Norway is not the best way to get around. lots of ferry's and twisty roads will have to be negotiated. Better to sail or fly.

Bergen and the surrounding area is worth a few days. There is some first class climbing to be had too - between the rain showers.

Matt
 Mr. Lee 12 Feb 2016
In reply to andy healey:

I'd try and be somewhere other than Ålesund on the Sunday as it's very quiet. Most of the centre will be shut. Better to be in the countryside on a Sunday.

Wild camping along Trollstigen is a good bet.

Plenty of easy scrambles in Romsdal with amazing scenery. The short walk up to the shoulder of Romsdalhorn is popular and has amazing views of Trollveggen. There's a fairly easy walk to Trollveggen from the Trollstigen/Stigfossen visitor centre. Amazing views again.
OP andy healey 12 Feb 2016
This is all great stuff, thanks everyone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...