UKC

Meeting trekking partners in Nepal whilst traveling solo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Goldsmith 10 Feb 2016
Hello!

I have found myself in between jobs from now up until the middle of April - I'm planning on Travelling out to Nepal on my own ASAP for around 6 weeks. I'm really keen to get out trekking as much as possible, ideally meeting with like minded people out there.

I understand that there is a well established set of trails and lodges for solo travellers. I have a few questions for those in the know....

1. Can anyone comment on how difficult it is to meet people to trek with? Where did you find the best places were to meet people? (Specific hostels in Katmandu vs start of trails). Is Katmandu the best initial location to get established ?

2. I'm always keen to get away from the beaten track when possible - is this only possible to do so with a tent? I wouldn't be keen to go solo on these trails - is it notably harder to find people who are keen to stray from the main tourist trails ?

3. Do you guys and gals have any recommendations for either camping / hut based trails?

Any other advice would be greatfully received! Also, if anyone is in a similar boat, please do get in touch ! I plan to head off around 20th Feb.

Thanks!
 JanBella 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Will Goldsmith: 1. supper easy to meet people trekking or in Kathmandu/Pokhora/Lukla I woudnt worry about that at all. 2. you can get by with a tent yes, water and food could be a concern thou, plan it well it's not the lakes with a pub in every valley 3. everest, annapurna, makalu, mustang, kanchenjunga, doplo....... enjoy!!

Damo 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Will Goldsmith:
Going solo is good if you want to and have the experience, but if you want a companion, I'd try as much as possible to arrange even a potential one beforehand. Try any Facebook groups, Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum and http://trekinfo.com/forums/

You can still meet people OK, but nowadays so many trek in organised groups it's not always easy. It depends on your personality, where you want to go etc. It's really easy to meet people on the route once you're actually trekking, but doing so beforehand might take some time and effort.

The last five years of so I've found Pokhara much more liveable and enjoyable than Ktm. Smaller, cleaner, easier to get around and plenty of good cafes and restaurants, gear shops etc.

February is still winter and many high passes will be closed into March and even April maybe. You can still push over popular ones like the Thorung La on the Annapurna Circuit, but less-travelled ones will be out. The Khumbu should be OK, with most of the lodges open, but you may not be able to do Gokyo and cross the Cho La to the Khumbu. Apparently Langtang is open again, but I'm not sure of the regulations there now, and of course there is not much left of Langtang village itself. Note that some treks have avalanche danger threatening small parts of them in early spring - like one section into the Annapurna Sanctuary, and the side trip to Tilicho Lake.

Only take a tent, stove and gear if you are absolutely sure you want to go off on a more remote trail. Otherwise you just won't use them and waste time and money.

Hire a porter for whatever you do - it makes it much more enjoyable and they really need the work right now. It's a small amount to you, but it's survival to them.
Post edited at 01:41
In reply to Damo:

Great, thanks for all the tips! Useful information

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...