UKC

Turkey and refugees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/10/turkey-dismisses-eu-plan-to-re...

Golly. I think I must be missing the point here.

Given that we all agree there are millions of people in Syria with nothing to eat, having the shit bombed out of them by all and sundry and trying to avoid being picked up by one lot of genocidal lunatics or another, is it *really* Western Europe's policy that we should 'seal the sea route'?! I assume that means deploy our various navies, intercept these boats full of refugees, take them back to the war zone, and dump them there, does it?

I read the other day that it's estimated 25 million people died of starvation alone in WW2. Wonder how many we can manage in Syria.

Another thing I never understand is the Dublin convention. It's all very well staying asylum seekers should stay in the country they arrive in, but when there are mllions fleeing a war zone, how on earth do we have the nerve to tell Greece and Turkey and wherever else neighbours Syria to sort it out themselves?

jcm
 marsbar 11 Feb 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

The initial idea behind the Dublin thing was to stop people applying to several countries and to stop countries passing people from one to another to another. Fine in theory at the time when there wasn't a large scale problem like now.

I'm guessing we should probably stop arming the genocidal lunatics. But that won't happen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...