UKC

Redovan Botris Sector Banned (Costa Blanca)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Mora 11 Feb 2016
Dear all,

the Botris sector (just left of La Pancha in Redovan) is banned from January 1st to June 30th.
It is important to repect the banned season to don't have a full prohibition.

Last week two foreign climbers where climbing in that sector with the concerning problems.

There are more routes in La Pancha Sector to spend a nice day.

Thanks a lot your for help.

David Mora
Mountain Guide
 Pekkie 14 Feb 2016
In reply to David Mora:

Sorry, not enough information. We need to know 1. Who has banned climbing? 2. Why? A link to a notice on an official website would be helpful.
OP David Mora 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

Really you don't need to know more info about a banned area, but:

1.- The Regional Goverment of Valencia.
2.- Nesting season.

No notice about that, a panel at the begining of the routes put by the rangers.
Respect the prohibition is important from January 1st to June 30th.

Thanks to all.

David Mora
Mountain Guide
In reply to David Mora:

Well, that's fine, and most climbers will respect nesting bans; they're common in the UK.

But you didn't really expect people to blindly accept a post from some random poster, did you...? Adding reason and authority to the original wouldn't have been hard.
 Mick Ward 21 Feb 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

David may not have posted much stuff on here (especially recently) but he's not quite a random poster. He's very well known in the area, has occupied a position of some responsibility re climbing and has always been reasonable about stuff. (By the way, this isn't cronyism; I've never met him and have no axe to grind.)

While I can understand Pete's (Pekkie; do know him!) request for more info and appreciate it, in my experience, the Spanish way is more of a fait accompli than we're used to. Different histories. And, to state the appallingly obvious, it's their country. The Spanish put up with all sorts of stuff from climbers and non-climbers. Although culturally they're a bit bureaucratic, socially they're friendly and tolerant. And, to his credit, David has replied.

Mick
 Pekkie 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks for that, Mick. David Mora is no doubt a great guy doing a good job but his reply speaks volumes ie 'really you don't need to know more info about a banned area'. I have turned back several times in recent years from climbing in areas with a nesting ban in this country. In each case I was provided with the reasons for the ban eg nesting peregrines or ring ouzels. I am also a member of the RSPB and would go out of my way to help enforce such bans. The best way forward with issues such as these is to treat people as adults. Anyway, enough said. Don't want to cause an international incident in these times of euroscepticism!
 Mick Ward 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

Hi Pete, great to hear from you. Maybe, as you say, enough said. Yes, what interesting times we live in!

Never mind Spain, you've got me dreaming of Pex. But then, I was crap there. Mind you, I've been crap most everywhere. Though little things like this shouldn't stop us...

Give my regards to the usual suspects.

All best wishes,

Mick

OP David Mora 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

Sorry Pete, but English is not my mother language and the sense of the words can change.
The problem in Spain is that normaly the restrictions are not published. It is an order from the General Director of Environment to the rangers (justified by technicians), the rangers install the panels and it's all. We have the same problems to find this orders, I'm lucky because I work together with the mountain federation of valencia and I've got contacts with som technics from the environmental council of valencia.
But not all have the same lucky and info.

But sorry again if was understood the other post.

David Mora
Mountain Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...