UKC

Aconcagua

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
arch the parch 12 Feb 2016
Hi

Anyone know how I can find a guide for an attempt on this mountain this year?

I don't want to join an organised tour but want a one on one guide......

Thanks!

Archie
 lanky and weak 12 Feb 2016
In reply to arch the parch:

British mountain guides website, fill in the form and request a guide.
 mbd 12 Feb 2016

Not a difficult mountain to organise or climb yourself. I climbed it a few years ago, doing everything myself. If you want some info, drop me an email.
 Andes 12 Feb 2016

You're pretty much too late to go this season, the base camps, mule services, etc., will be wound up by the time you get out there. So going this year will now involve a trip in December.

The new regulations have made it a bit harder and/or more expensive to go in small groups, so going one on one with a guide is going to be pretty expensive. You'll have to sign up with an approved logistics operator, and if there are just two of you there are no savings through being in a larger group.
arch the parch 12 Feb 2016
In reply to macdaddy:
Hi

Thanks for the response. How did you organise permits etc?

Were you lucky with the conditions and how many days did you reckon on?

Cheers

Archie

I think you will need to give a few more details about what you are planning, how much experience you have and whether you are able to research some of the trip yourself before anyone is able to give you good advice.

Andes who replied above might be able to assist if you are looking for a guided trip. There are several mule services available but it sounds like rules have tightened and you will need to book full logistics for the trip.
 mbd 13 Feb 2016

Hi Archie
I applied for the permit in Mendoza - there is an office where you take your passport, cash and some other things (please check) and took about an hour. While they were processing it (used to be about a week or so) I went to Vallecitos for some acclimatisation (about a week) where you can get to around 6000m if you choose - it meant we could move fast on Aconcagua with no altitude sickness. When we returned we picked up the permits and took the bus out to Punta de Vacas. We didnt use mules (carrying over 50kg in backpacks was hard work but it had its upsides... er, maybe not, but we still didnt use mules). By the sounds of other people's comments this may be an issue for you - but it wasn't a factor for me. Things might have changed but the Internet will update things for you.

We had planned for the Polish Direct route. But, in answer to your question, no, the weather wasnt great. We were stuck in a 5 day storm at over 6000m (storm struck within 10 mins of arriving at the high camp). I summited solo on the 6th day, my partner on the 8th day, so quite a long time up high. Took 2 weeks total and we had to skip the Direct and do the Traverse because of too much windslab from the storm (postholing to the hip on the Traverse!). If you want my itinerary etc, send me an email and I'll attach it, along with some other things.

If you let me know the details of what you are planning, I can share what I found with you.
 andrewm1000 02 Mar 2016
In reply to arch the parch: Google Inka Expeditions Mendoza and check their services / prices. I did it in 2012 with a uk company but basecamp and mule services were provided by Inka. Plenty of people i met were doing it independently using Inka so worth checking.
cheers Andrew

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...