UKC

Ideas for summer Alpine trip please for solo traveller

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fizz 13 Feb 2016
Hi

I moved to a new (small) town for work and my current set of climbing partners are all miles away and great for European sport climbing trips but not more. I've joined a local club but they are pretty small, haven't any interest in Alpine stuff and the climbers are all pre-sorted with partners so I am keen to plan a week in the Alps myself. Guiding is an option but pricey for lots of days and I don't really want a course as I am keen to get out and try out some easy routes. Any ideas on how to organise / where to go greatly appreciated!

I've had pretty good trips over to Chamonix and met quite a few climbers while camping once there but I'd like to try out a new place this time - all options open. Thanks!
 OwenM 13 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

How about hut to hut in the Jura, or in the Eastern limestone ranges, Kaisergebirge, Karwendal or Dolomites. Plenty of via ferratas to go at.
In reply to fizz:

Alta Via 1 or 2 in the Dolomites are options if you have more than a week.

Tour du Mt Blanc can be done in a long week.
 earlsdonwhu 13 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:
One of the GR routes or section thereof? Ecrins or Vanoise?

What about the cross Corsica route for somewhere new?

I enjoyed the tour of the Jungfrau as described in a Cicerone guide too.
Post edited at 17:23
 Casa Alfredino 13 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

Totally biased opinion but you simply can't beat the Dolomites. Huge views, more via ferrata than you can shake a stick at, excellent watering stops en route, great paths and walking if that's your bag and easy, cheap flights to get there. And of course second to none adventure lodges Seriously though, if you are on your own, think about linking some of the VF's together hut to hut... really really excellent fun.
altirando 13 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

In previous years I have been in the Saas Fee area on my own. Several easy snow climbs such as the Allalinhorn, nip round the corner to Zermatt to go up the Breithorn the easiest 4000m. Or for scrambly little rock peaks, the area round Annecy.
 Only a hill 13 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

I really enjoyed the Tour of Monte Rosa. It's a 100-mile trekking route circumnavigating the Monte Rosa chain, and is very feasible for a solo traveller (only one very easy glacier crossing and an optional 3000m peak). It's a similar idea to the Tour du Mont Blanc but much less busy. My TMR trail blogs:
http://www.alexroddie.com/2015/09/the-tour-of-monte-rosa-trail-blogs-and-fi...
 jcw 13 Feb 2016
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
I've been thinking for some time about this. I can think of various solos but none is without risk. The recommendations already given are all good and the Monte Rosa tour sounds great. I would merely add that I think the Vercors is a marvelous area, but while there is nothing really soloable there climbing wise, there is some superb walking staying in civilized places and who knows you might meet up with someone to climb with. There is certainly lots of fantastic multi pitch routes to do there.
Post edited at 21:09
 Brass Nipples 13 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

Basically any trek that doesn't involve glaciated terrain. There's some cracking alpine terrain out there, non glaciated. I find a trip using a number of bivvy huts can make for a great trek , low cost, with many huts often to yourself.

OP fizz 14 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

Thank you all - fab ideas and lots to go at here, cheers
 SteveD 14 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

If you do decide to go to Cham again I'm there last two weeks in June with a couple of mates of mixed ability so will be doing some easy/mid routes. Always keen to meet new folk so your welcome to join us.
 BruceM 15 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

Dolomiti is always great by your self or with others. For other areas, some day scramble ideas here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=464921&v=1#x6457057
 Stephen3005 17 Feb 2016
In reply to SteveD:

Hi Steve,

I'm going Cham for first time 17th- 24th. Would it be possible to join you on a few routes?
 d_b 17 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

Dolomites & Julian Alps would both be good for a solo traveller. Lots of VF & scrambling to go at.
 SteveD 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Stephen3005:

No problem, that is our acclimatisation week so will be doing easy/moderate stuff and getting as high as possible as often as possible. All comes down to the Weather/Conditions at the end of the day. Give us a shout closer to the time and we'll arrange a meet up, we're staying in the centre of Cham.
OP fizz 19 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

Hello, wow - thanks for all the extra ideas! Thanks too SteveD for the Cham offer, that's just fab - I'll drop you a message.

Happy weekends everyone
 chris gooder 22 Feb 2016
In reply to fizz:

Not sure when you are going but I'm out in Chamonix for 2 weeks with a partner but then back out for the last 10 days of July solo. I'll probably camp but not sure where I'm staying and which routes to do solo but maybe a few 4000mt peaks.

Just another option for you, let me know if you're interested.

El_Dave_H 03 Mar 2016
In reply to fizz:

To OP, SteveD, Stephen3005, et all,

Also planning to be in Cham for the Arcteryx Academy between the 16th & 19th June, staying on for a few days afterward and getting some more routes done, possibly with one other person.

Capable pack mule, doesn't skip getting my round in, all own teeth etc etc.....

Let me know if you want to team up.

Dave
 SteveD 05 Mar 2016
In reply to El_Dave_H:

That's cool, I know the area quite well now, skied there often and this is my 3rd Alps trip in the area. Up for looking at some AD/D routes if I can find a suitable partner(s).

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...