UKC

Skiing Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LJ2606 13 Feb 2016
We are planning on spending a week in Scotland over easter; we will stay in either Fort William or Aviemore. Whilst there we plan on spending few days skiing (weather permitting). We have a few questions.

Firstly, where offers the most choice/best quality skiing for beginner/intermediate skiers?

Secondly, where are we most likely to find the best conditions (if any)?

Finally, are we being optimistic/unrealistic with our plans? Is there any likely hood of any of the centres/lifts being open at the end of March?

Jerv
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:

Scotland is purely pot luck, there's no predicting it. I *think* Glen Shee is probably your best bet, though Fort William work too. I think that Scotland is a case of doing what you can when you are there; if you really want to go skiing you are safer going abroad.
 Doug 13 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:

If you don't live in Scotland or close by, its probably wiser to go the the Alps (much better chance of good weather & snow and probably cheaper). Even if you lived in Scotland, the Alps might be better for a week (obviously different for a day or weekend)

But if you just want a days skiing while in Scotland doing something else, Aonach Mor is handy for Fort William & Cairngorm for Aviemor - either is likely to be open but much depends on the weather over the next few weeks. Staying somewhere like Laggan or Newtonmore would put you midway, with under an hours drive to either.
 Snowdave 13 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:
So 25th to 27th March is Easter weekend. Snow should be ok high up, & could be down to carpark level at C.G., however it is very pot luck as this season we have had a very late start & high winds/ white out conditions.

Glenshee is good but remember that the resorts will be busy as kids out to play & this affects C.G & lecht more.!!

Post edited because mis-reading of Op.
Post edited at 20:11
 Doug 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Snowdave:

s/he asked for "most choice/best quality skiing for beginner/intermediate skiers" so I doubt they are worried about conditions for touring
 LastBoyScout 13 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:

Just come back from Aviemore - the upper slopes are open when weather allows, but pretty much everything below the funicular mid station is closed from lack of snow. We did manage to ski most of the way back to the car park, but the last bit before we gave up and walked was pretty icy.

I was surprised how good the snow was on the open runs, though - I was expecting rubbish.
 Snowdave 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Doug:

> s/he asked for "most choice/best quality skiing for beginner/intermediate skiers" so I doubt they are worried about conditions for touring

Doh!!

I was out touring yesterday & planning for when the wind drops, so touring on the brain!!.............
 Gael Force 15 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:
It's a complete lottery, depends on weather, my advice is never book a holiday in advance in Scotland, always be prepared to go where conditions and weather are best at the last minute.
If you have to book, go to the Alps and go high at Easter.
Statistically your chances of good skiing on piste in Scotland at Easter are low.
I should say I'm Scottish.
Post edited at 12:56
 summo 15 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:

If it is marginal, then hire skis rather than risk on your own on thin snow, exposed rock etc..
OP LJ2606 16 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:

Thanks for the replies.

Our main aim of going to Scotland wasn't to go skiing, it just would be good if we could get a day or two in.

I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

Jerv
 Scomuir 16 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:

Glencoe often has to shut the lifts in early May due to a lack of punters, not a lack of snow. The past 5 years have been rather good (2012 was a bit rubbish until mid April, when conditions became superb again). This season is proving a little less predictable, but you are almost certain to be able to find lift skiing at the end of March - you'll just need to be flexible as to the location.
 adam06 16 Feb 2016

I have only been to the Nevis one and the cairngorm ones.

I thought the Nevis one was better.
cairngorm has loads of tee-bar lifts, which are bad for snowboarders where as nevis has some chairs.

you can compare number of runs and stuff here:

nevis:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Nevis-Range

cairngorm:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cairngorm
Post edited at 10:05
 Doug 16 Feb 2016
In reply to adam06:

Worth mentioning that the N° of pistes for both resorts is a bit theoretical - some runs shown on the piste maps are hardly ever open, especially the lower pistes at Cairngorm
 TobyA 17 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:

Just back from two days skiing in Scotland with my 11 year old. He had never skied in the UK before, I haven't skied here since before he was born, I reckon it was 2000 last time! Some thoughts: Sunday we rocked up pretty early at Glencoe, there was a long queue for gear hire already and it took us nearly 2hrs to hire my son gear. By the time we got in, they were running out of equipment in various sizes. A woman in front of us was literally in tears after they said they didn't have gear for her 4 year old (who had been screaming in the queue for much of the wait). The hire guy was kinda rude "well, I can't whittle some skis for you" - eventually they found one more pair of little skis that could just fit the kid's boots. They didn't have the first size boots my son asked for, but fortunately he was fine in the next size up. There was no communication while we all queued that certain gear was running out. It all took so long that we just needed to wait 10 minutes until noon to buy just afternoon passes, so at least that saved some money.

That evening we drove straight up to Nevis Range and booked gear for the next day, this worked much better although the woman there started by saying "oh... we've been so busy I'm not sure if there will be gear in the right size"! There was also some queuing for lift tickets, to get onto the Gondola, for the lowest tow on the mountain, and always for the summit tow. Nothing ridiculous, but five or so minutes here and there - maybe ten once or twice. Basically all the queuing reminded me why I like touring!

The skiing was actually great fun, but it is Scotland: you will go over grass here and there and probably clonk a rock or two. My skis are older than my son, so I'm not very precious about them, but if you have flash new kit bear that in mind! Wearing helmets does seem sensible though - I always do now, never did back in the 90s when I skied regularly in Scotland!

So the main thing is try and book hire equipment before you get there and be prepared for queuing. There are some pictures on my instagram to give you a feel that it wasn't all bad! https://www.instagram.com/tobyinhelsinki/
moffatross 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Gael Force:
> Statistically your chances of good skiing on piste in Scotland at Easter are low.

> I should say I'm Scottish.

You might have been born in Scotland, but that counts for nothing. Easter is probably the best time of the year for piste skiing at Glencoe, Nevis and Cairngorm, with the best chances of consolidated, soft spring snow, nice weather, and long days to boot.
 Gael Force 21 Feb 2016
In reply to moffatross:
It doesn't change the fact only silly people book hols in advance in Scotland, poor chance of good weather or good snow. If the weather is good then the snow will be like concrete in the morning.
The fact it takes 2 hours to hire skis as in the post above makes me wonder why anybody bothers.
Post edited at 21:55
 AG 22 Feb 2016
In reply to Gael Force:

Doesn't take 2 hours to hire skis - just avoid half term at cairngorm. I was at Glenshee yesterday. No queues, great snow and the wind wasn't nearly as bad as forecast. While I wouldn't book a ski holiday in scotland, i would book a easter outdoor break and see whats on offer when I got there. Spring skiing is usually great at Glencoe and in the backs at nevis.
Have to say the Scottish skiing, when conditions are good, is much more fun than most of the boring alpine motorways. (although Im booked on an easter break in cervinvia!)
moffatross 22 Feb 2016
In reply to AG: >"Have to say the Scottish skiing, when conditions are good, is much more fun than most of the boring alpine motorways."<

Some ex-pats just never have a kind word to say about it. When we finally win our independence, I'd ban them from ever coming back :-P
 Gael Force 22 Feb 2016
In reply to moffatross: Not sure how you would explain that one given you have an English accent.
yeeha 22 Feb 2016
Well, another excellent day today - perhaps your name should be Gail.
moffatross 22 Feb 2016
In reply to Gael Force:

I live here so I don't have to explain it. You voted with your feet, so you don't get another vote :P
 Gael Force 22 Feb 2016
In reply to moffatross:
The trouble with the Yes's is they just can't get over losing.

But back to the skiing, it is possible to be realistic about Scottish skiing which is to accept it is probably not a good idea to book a skiing trip in advance due to the uncertainty of the weather and conditions. Once you've been in Scotland a bit longer you'll realise that.

Touring and ice climbing is good, piste skiing can be pretty awful, the huge queues don't help either.
Just to annoy you a bit more I've got a house in both countries, so I did get a Vote, it was NO.
Post edited at 23:30
moffatross 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Gael Force:

It doesn't really annoy me, it mostly makes me laugh, that someone should feel the need to emphasise that they're 'Scottish' in nearly every Scotland skiing related post they make on UK skiing forums, as if calling themselves gale farce or Nevis-something isn't enough, and repeatedly telling the world how rubbish you think that Scotland's skiing is. Perhaps once you've been out of the country a bit longer, you'll get over it. Yes, slightly disturbed at electoral rights of non-citizens with holiday homes, but hey-ho, I expect you'd get a vote in the Swiss elections too because you once stayed in a chalet in Verbier ;-
 rocksol 23 Feb 2016
In reply to moffatross:

Scottish skiing is rubbish; slush, wind, no vis. short runs, queues, poor accommodation, ages to get there.
By contrast; early morning flight to Geneva, skiing by lunchtime in Chamonix, 2000m vertical interval, glacier skiing, off piste for miles, couloirs etc etc. and when you,re tired, ski back to valley and have a cold beer looking up at Mont Blanc and the Aiguilles!
 CurlyStevo 23 Feb 2016
In reply to rocksol:
Life's what you make of it. Scotland can also be still, blue skies, powder and an amazing place to be outside enjoying the hills. The runs are long enough to have fun. I wouldn't be traveling there regularly to piste ski from Englandshire mind.

I hear the ski touring can be rather good also.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6092
Post edited at 12:26
Haggis Trap 23 Feb 2016
In reply to rocksol / gaelforce.

Of course the alps have some of the best skiing in the world.
If you live in the UK then Chamonix is a great place to visit for a *holiday*.

However only silly people compare Scottish skiing to the alps. By doing so you are missing the entire point and demographic of people actually skiing in Scotland. You seem to have missed the point in your rush to troll.

The web cams look great today. Would much rather be up there today than at work....

AG 23 Feb 2016
In reply to rocksol:
Aye, the slush is terrible just now
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205948246200527&set=o.32078388135...

Takes ages to get there from south englandshire, but thats a bonus for us in the north ;-0
Post edited at 12:30
 Mike Conlon 23 Feb 2016
In reply to rocksol:I was in Glenshee for two days last week. As I arrived late Tuesday night, it looked as though the hills had been stripped. Thankfully there was 5ins of snow overnight and a fair morning to follow. I hadn't realised it was half term but despite the crowds I never had to wait more than a few minutes for a lift. That suited me as I am no great shakes and Scottish skiing can take it out of you. Everybody seemed to be having a good time and I was very pleasantly surprised at how friendly the operation was. The runs were pretty much complete and there was plenty for me to go at on either side of the road. Being on my own I missed there being any local night life but I enjoyed a couple of quiet pints in Braemar and Ballater. I am sure you are right about Geneva and Chamonix but not everyone can afford a trip to the Alps. I spoke with a lovely lady from Newcastle and she told me her family self catering week (3 boys)was costing about &pound;1500 as opposed to &pound;3500 abroad. Sure Scottish conditions are unpredicatble but I think it has a certain appeal even though I have never skied outside of the UK. Perhaps my base line of Weardale colours my judgement. Hope you continue to enjoy the Alps !
 Dogwatch 23 Feb 2016
You could certainly have a self-catering week for 5 in the Alps for a great deal less than £3500.

Haggis Trap 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

^ nail on head.

some 5-10 million people live in northern part of UK where a weekends skiing is within easy "drive-able" distance. for this demographic opportunistic skiing trips to Scotland will always be cheaper, easier and more frequent than a weekend to Geneva.

of course you don't book advance (there is no need - plenty accommodation as winter is low tourist season in Scotland). plus the web cams, real time road forecasts and better weather forecasts make trip planning easier than ever.
OP LJ2606 23 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:

Of course the Alps will have better skiing, but that's kind of missing the point: as I said in my OP, we are only planning on spending a few days skiing out of the week we are there, the rest of the time will be spent hill walking and drinking whisky.

Jerv
 Mike Conlon 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Dogwatch: Interested to know, I did ask her would it not have been cheaper to go abroad.
Flights
Transfers
Accomodation
Ski passes
Ski hire
Food (She stated that would be a cost at home although I guess food abroad might be significantly dearer)
Some entertainment (She said their was a pub in their highland village but she settled for a bottle of wine after sorting the family out).

As I say, just interested and I guess it was half term. Is it not much more expensive abroad at such times ?
 Dogwatch 24 Feb 2016
^

If you have a family of 5 it will be cheaper to drive than to fly and pay for transfers.

I'm paying about £450 for a self-catering apartment for a week in one of the more expensive Alpine resorts. You could sleep 5 in it, people do. That's not a peak week but it isn't massively more on a half term, maybe £600, and there are cheaper resorts.

Ski passes - pretty much the same as Scotland, which are pretty expensive for what you get. Ski hire, I'd have thought would cost much the same as in Scotland. If you own skis and are driving, put them on a roof rack.

Food if self-catering is not going to be massively different and if you are driving you can stock up in the cheap supermarkets in the valley before heading up to the resort where everything costs more. People with families tend to do just that.

A bottle of wine after putting kids to bed isn't going to cost much different.

You certainly could spend £3500 on a week for a family of 5 but you don't need to.

Mike Conlon 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Dogwatch: Thanks for that.
the optimist 24 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ2606:

hi

you can do skiing in the alps for not that much if you want too!!

we have just returned from a week skiing in Chatel - port du soleil
total cost for a family of 4 including everything apart from food was about £1500
that's driving out, ski passes for full port du soliel, apartment with 2 bedrooms, insurance, car breakdown, 1 night in hotel on drive out, all tolls & fuel
no ski hire though as we have our own

phill
 Gael Force 24 Feb 2016
In reply to moffatross:
> It doesn't really annoy me, it mostly makes me laugh, that someone should feel the need to emphasise that they're 'Scottish' in nearly every Scotland skiing related post they make on UK skiing forums, as if calling themselves gale farce or Nevis-something isn't enough, and repeatedly telling the world how rubbish you think that Scotland's skiing is. Perhaps once you've been out of the country a bit longer, you'll get over it. Yes, slightly disturbed at electoral rights of non-citizens with holiday homes, but hey-ho, I expect you'd get a vote in the Swiss elections too because you once stayed in a chalet in Verbier ;-

I'm in Scotland skiing/climbing at the moment so your posts seem even weird to me, I just didn't book in advance because I know how easy it is to waste your time. Your Swiss remarks apply more to you not me, your the incomer, my passport says born Orkney.
Post edited at 10:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...