UKC

A one and a half handed belay device for top roping indoors...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 13 Feb 2016
A new friend used to be a keen climber before they had a brain haemorrhage, meaning they know have dyspraxia in their right hand (but could be okay for handling the dead rope), so that an attempted hand jam left her looking like she'd had a fight with a wall and then a broken bottle with it, but the control of her left hand is fine.

Could anybody suggest a single rope belay device which is semi self locking which might be okay for a person with 'one and a half hands' to use indoors.

Thanks

OP Timmd 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Or not semi self locking...
 scott titt 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Use a grigri upside down, it is a quite common method with left handed people.
OP Timmd 14 Feb 2016
In reply to scott titt:
That's very useful as I already have one. I'm left handed and never thought to use it upside down, I've always eventually adapted.

Any suggestions (from experience) from other people welcome...
Post edited at 12:16
OP Timmd 14 Feb 2016
In reply to scott titt:

I can't quite picture what you mean...do you mean back to front or upside down?
 jon 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Despite having two functional hands, I always use my Grigri upside down. It feeds much easier in that orientation.
In reply to jon:

What is the advantage of using a Grigri rather than an old fashioned sticht (sp?) plate?
 HeMa 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

So that the slots where the rope goes in and out points towards the ground, not to the sky.
 jon 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> What is the advantage of using a Grigri rather than an old fashioned sticht (sp?) plate?

Tim said:

> Could anybody suggest a single rope belay device which is semi self locking (... )
 liamando 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Jesus I have dyspraxia and don't run into such problems, must be very severe! Unless maybe naturally I'm meant to climb E6....
 Mr Moac 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> A new friend used to be a keen climber before they had a brain haemorrhage, meaning they know have dyspraxia in their right hand (but could be okay for handling the dead rope), so that an attempted hand jam left her looking like she'd had a fight with a wall and then a broken bottle with it, but the control of her left hand is fine.

> Could anybody suggest a single rope belay device which is semi self locking which might be okay for a person with 'one and a half hands' to use indoors.

> Thanks

The Click Up from Climbing Technology. Its easier to use than a Gri gri, no moving parts and no lever. Locks to lower off, right hand controls dead rope left hand puts pressure on device to control payout. have been using one for over 12 months with no issues also unlike other devices it wont lock up if paying out fast but locks instantly in a fall or lower off situation. See C.T. site for demo.
OP Timmd 15 Feb 2016
In reply to liamando:
> Jesus I have dyspraxia and don't run into such problems, must be very severe! Unless maybe naturally I'm meant to climb E6....

She described in cheerful detail going in for a decent handjam and having her hand not sit still in the crack and it remerging looking like she'd been punching a wall and then some broken glass. so it must be severe.

I've never met anybody so cheery who's life has been shaped since their 20's by a brain haemorrhage (if you see what I mean).

Something to ponder when 'life' pops into the head...
Post edited at 18:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...