UKC

Ben Nevis season question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
19G 13 Feb 2016
I have a question for anyone who's been to the Ben during previous winter seasons. When are we to expect the winter season to end this year? Would there be any point in turning up in the third week of March trying to go ice climbing? I'm hoping someone with a better sense of the weather and more familiarity with the mountain than me might be able to help me out.

Any help greatly appreciated.
 KA 14 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:
It's not something that be be predicted this far in advance for any given season. There are often good ice climbing conditions well into April and occasionally into May, then again, towards the end of March 2012, there was good (and not too cold) rock climbing to be had on Carn Dearg Buttress.

The archives on my old blog will help give you a clearer picture of late season conditions up there:
http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/blog/
Post edited at 06:15
19G 14 Feb 2016
In reply to KA:

Thanks very much for your help, Ken. I'll keep an eye on the weather nearer the time then.

19G
 KA 14 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

You're welcome. I'm hoping for a season that lasts well into April!
 Michael Gordon 15 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

It would be unusual for there not be ice routes in nick 3rd week of March.
19G 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Thanks Michael. I guess I'll get more light then too - looking forward to it.
 CurlyStevo 16 Feb 2016
In reply to KA:
this year it went in to June didn't it? But that is highly unusual.
Post edited at 09:21
 Webster 16 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

for water Ice generally late march is the latest to expect good conditions, snow ice (such as the classic point 5 and zero gulies) are often at their best in april/may (I did my last winter route on 17th may last winter) and indeed there was routes in condition in june last year. as always with winter climbing it is a lottery but late season snow ice on ben nevis is the most reliable of winter mediums and even after prolonged thaws routes can come back into condition over night if its been a snowy winter.
 andyinglis 16 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

Indicator wall is frequently in condition into mid April or later. Many of the easier gullies likewise (up to grade IV)..... I's and II's well into May, in fact often providing the best conditions of the year with firm neve in the mornings.... much more enjoyable than wading through powder in Jan and Feb!
 CurlyStevo 16 Feb 2016
In reply to Webster:

> for water Ice generally late march is the latest to expect good conditions, snow ice (such as the classic point 5 and zero gulies) are often at their best in april/may (I did my last winter route on 17th may last winter) and indeed there was routes in condition in june last year. as always with winter climbing it is a lottery but late season snow ice on ben nevis is the most reliable of winter mediums and even after prolonged thaws routes can come back into condition over night if its been a snowy winter.

Smiths Route is normally an ice fall and is typically in condition well in to April. Some other ice falls are also typically in condition really late in the season such as tower scoop. Ice can be particularly resistant to thaw under the right conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...