UKC

help. Travel insurance after fractured vertebrae

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheryl 15 Feb 2016
Hi everyone
After a bouldering accident last year which required surgery to stabilise, i have now been refused travel insurance by the BMC. I have found some travel insurances that will cover me, but I doubt if they have any rock climbing cover. Even if they don't they are around £200 for a 10 day trip.

Does anyone have any experience or advice? Or has anyone travelled on a climbing trip without insurance? Would I be mad to do so, or have I been a mug pouring thousands into an industry over the years that I've never even claimed on? Obviously I know it is UNWISE to travel without insurance, but I am not sure I am willing to stay in the rainy old UK until the magical 5 years they ask about is up.

Help!

Thanks
 Andy Manthorpe 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

I suggest you have a look at the Austrian Alpine Club UK.

http://aacuk.org.uk/

Membership - £46.50 pa - includes insurance for climbing, walking, rescue etc, reciprocal hut use, but doesn't cover your possessions (or gear I think). These can be covered on a house contents policy or a standard travel policy.

I suggest you give them a call to find out what cover they will offer you. 01929 556 870 is their number.

Andy
 ianstevens 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:
> I suggest you have a look at the Austrian Alpine Club UK.

> Membership - £46.50 pa - includes insurance for climbing, walking, rescue etc, reciprocal hut use, but doesn't cover your possessions (or gear I think). These can be covered on a house contents policy or a standard travel policy.

> I suggest you give them a call to find out what cover they will offer you. 01929 556 870 is their number.

> Andy

AAC are good, but be aware that the medical cost cover is not especially extensive and is only really of any use in Europe when backed up with an EHIC - in countries such as the US it won't go very far at all. Just food for though rather than a criticism! Furthermore, Andy is right - it doesn't cover your possesions like typical travel insurance does.

EDIT: Just actually looked at the policy, and it only covers Europe now anyway! (excluding the islands in the Atlantic, Iceland, Greenland and Spitzbergen as well as the Asian part of Turkey and the Commonwealth of Independent States)
Post edited at 12:49
 Dark-Cloud 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Cheryl:
Under what grounds did the BMC decline ? Seems a bit strange that they wont cover due to an injury, especially if its not current. *

* I am not an insurance expert hence the question.....
Post edited at 13:02
 top cat 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

I had a similar problem but my back injury was 'just' broken bones, no nerve damage, no surgery. I was back doing Yoga and climbing but still the insurance co. wouldn't touch me. Bit silly really as my back is now stronger and pain free for the first time in years!! Not that I recommend falling 8m onto rock as a cure!
OP Cheryl 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

Hi Everyone
Thanks for the replies, and especially the info about the AAC - that might be just the thing I'm looking for.

The medical declaration thing asks loads of random questions, so not sure why the BMC refused, but prob because I haven't yet been signed off by the hospital and I'm awaiting surgery to remove the metal in my back, which ironically is because my back is getting better but the insurance computer doesn't seem to understand this bit of logic.

Thanks everyone.
Cheryl

John Gresty 16 Feb 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

This is a difficult one, I have metal in my spine and foot, both continue to give me pain at times. I have since got insurance for climbing/skiing/walking abroad but have always waited until all the surgery was completed and got the all clear from the doctors. I waited at least a year from the doctors OK before going abroad climbing/skiing, did plenty in this country during that time, and always spoke to the insurers personally.
Now faced with a similar insurance problem with respect to another medical problem.

John
 Trangia 16 Feb 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 6 years ago and 4 years ago had surgery to have the prostate removed. I am now having annual blood tests and will have to for the next 6 years. Even though, thankfully, the tests have so far shown no indication that the cancer may have spread, I can no longer get BMC insurance or indeed normal travel insurance without a hefty premium loading. So working on the surmise that in the event of the cancer returning it is unlikely to be a sudden event leaving me incapacitated during the course of a climbing trip abroad, I have voluntarily excluded any potential complications resulting from this from my cover which brings the premium back to normal.

I do find the logic behind premium quoting inequitable from the customer's point of view. They have been taking premiums from me for decades, yet the moment you have a medical problem, as you say, they don't want to know you. There is no allowance for long term loyalty.
 CurlyStevo 16 Feb 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

perhaps snowcard can help?
 Team BMC 16 Feb 2016
In reply to Cheryl:

Hi Cheryl, in cases where there is an existing/ongoing medical condition we either need to charge an additional premium or exclude the condition from the insurance. In your case we can provide cover, however any claims related to your back wouldn't be covered. (i.e. you'd still get the baggage, cancellation, and any medical claims that weren't related to your existing condition). If you'd like to discuss further please contact Lynda Buckley on 0161 438 3300.

BMC Membership Team

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...