UKC

Montserrat, Catalunya - gear needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Browne 15 Feb 2016
Hi guys,

I'm off on a sport climbing trip to Montserrat soon and was wondering how many draws I need and what length rope to take.

Any advice much appreciated,
Cheers
 GravitySucks 15 Feb 2016
In reply to danobrowne:

Judging by this account of Montserrat, two quick draws and several changes of underwear should cover all your gear needs

http://thesphericalcow.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/the-pinnacle-of-success.html
OP Dan Browne 15 Feb 2016
In reply to GravitySucks:
Brilliant article! Sounds like we're going to have an amazing time! :-O
Might have to revise our plans and go somewhere else! Thing is, my girlfriend (not a climber) booked this trip secretly for my birthday, bought the guide book ( in Spanish!) booked the flights and accommodation and I feel obliged to go through with it! I've definitely got enough draws but should maybe get some more pants!
Cheers
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Feb 2016
In reply to GravitySucks:
> Judging by this account of Montserrat, two quick draws and several changes of underwear should cover all your gear needs

"The place has it's devotees for sure; Chris Craggs loves the place (nowhere's perfect)."

I wonder what he meant by that - strange?

Chris

PS I have climbed a lot at Montserrat and vast majority of the routes are adequately bolted.
Post edited at 16:46
Removed User 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Like Chris, I am a Montserrat lover and have managed three trips there already this year. Not difficult as it is only 2 hours from home!
Climbers used to UK trad, I don't think will have any trouble with the bolting on the single pitch routes. The spacing can be a little adventurous on the 4's and 5's but gets more normal once you are into the 6's and above. The single pitch guide to the south side gives pitch lengths and you should be ok for the majority of routes with a 12-15 draws and a 70m rope. The Bar Anna in El Bruc has a copy of most of the guide books and it is easy to take a pic on your phone and there is a climbing shop, Goma, in El Bruc that stocks a great range of gear if you run short. I am sure that you will have a great time. The bar/restaurant at Vinya Nova, at the bottom of the crag is a great place to chill in the sun.
OP Dan Browne 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed UserMike Rhodes:
That's great, thanks for the top tips and I hope to share Chris's and your love for the place, by all accounts just walking around it will be spectacular.
Thanks for the help
Cheers
Dan
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Feb 2016
In reply to danobrowne:

Quite a few shot of Montserrat and the surround area in this gallery of mine:

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/northern_spain&page=all

Makes me want to go back again!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...