UKC

Painting and decorating how much?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey all.

The pad is in need of a lick of paint and I really can't face doing it again. Ive never paid someone else to paint for me before so how much should I expect to pay and what are the things I should consider/be wary of?

There are about 3-4 rooms, two of which are decent sizes, which are currently painted. The walls are plasterboard and in good order. There's a bit of glossing too. Should I get a bill per day or per room?
 Hawky 17 Feb 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Get a few prices. Don't pay someone by the hour they will just milk it.
 Oujmik 17 Feb 2016

It will be expensive if my experience is anything to go by. Glosswork will probably bump up the price a lot as that takes time to dry and can't be slapped on as quickly as emulsion
 Indy 17 Feb 2016

It aint gonna be cheap that's all I'm sayin
abseil 17 Feb 2016

> .....how much should I expect to pay....

There are many helpful websites which give local averages [they say London costs more] for what you should pay: I don't want to recommend a site because I easily found several on Google about a week ago when I had the same question as you (I entered "how much does it cost to decorate a room?" or some such search phrase).

Good luck!
Graeme G 17 Feb 2016

I pay about £300 per room. Money well sent in my opinion. Fecking hate decorating.
 Hawky 17 Feb 2016

There are sites out there where tradesmen bid on jobs like my hammer and my builder. You say what the job involves even take some pictures as well.
The job goes live and all the tradesmen who are in the area get to bid in the job. I have had plenty jobs through them both, bad tradesmen don't last long on them as the feedback soon finds them out.
Facebook is another way of finding a suitable tradesmen.
 Dax H 17 Feb 2016

I used a decorator about 6 years ago, he charged £20 per hour plus material's.
He didn't spin it out and painted the walls, ceiling and glossed the doors and skirting boards in our living room in 1 day, it was a large room in an old terraced house with high ceilings and 2 bay windows plus alcoves.
I couldn't do it in that time.
Removed User 17 Feb 2016

Get a personal recommendation and go to see some of their handiwork.
 Hawky 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Dax H:

£20 per hour?. You can get a plumber or electrician for that amount. Painters get about £11 per hour on the books.
I wouldn't pay any painter and decorator that amount.
Taff2509 17 Feb 2016

I'm a painter and decorator by trade and not a window cleaner lol, I would charge £220 a room and that's 2 coats on celings,2 coats on walls undercoat and gloss and materials included. I only use trade paint from local depot not the average joes paint from b&q
 The New NickB 17 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:
Dax's guy seems good and fast, maybe worth the money. I've seen enough bad decorating to not begrudge a good decorator earning a half decent living. Good plumbers also earn a lot more than £20 an hour.
Post edited at 22:26
 Hawky 17 Feb 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Every plumber I know charges £20 an hour, except big companies who rip the backside out of it. I think the most expensive company here are £40 ph No painter would get away with that amount. Crikey I lived in London for a year and the wages down there are worse than up here.
 Hawky 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Taff2509:

660 for 3 rooms is a good price. I would skim them for that amount as well with material supplied by me. Price work is the way to make money.
Taff2509 17 Feb 2016

£2000 for external painting including materials and that 3 coats of dulux weather shield trade, I had a price off a company in Swansea do the outside of mine! Never been painted dashed semi £5000!!!!!! I laughed in the guy's face! He said that the product they used guaranteed 15yr life🤔 So I checked their product and its marine grade paint😬 So my house walls would not breath and that I turn would cause internal problems!!! ££££££££
 jimjimjim 17 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

On the books is very different from getting someone who's self employed. I charge £20 an hour and have done for years. Flat out busy.
 jimjimjim 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Taff2509:

'Bout right.....They never know if we only put one coat on the ceiling anyway. If it's flat it's flat.
Quick acrylic bosh round and gloss up. Done for half two. They're happy and I'm highly delighted.
Taff2509 17 Feb 2016
In reply to jimjimjim:

Not really selling your self here lol!!! And might find your self out of work 😬
 Hawky 17 Feb 2016
In reply to jimjimjim:

1 coat with white paint ? Lol your sound rough. My dad's a real painter ad decorator he would never 1 got white. Maybe magnolia but never white.
 Hawky 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Taff2509:

The only way your house will breath is if the render is done with a sand and lime render, highly breathable. Any sand and cement rendering will never breath. This is a serious problem with sand cement renders.
Taff2509 17 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

Jimjimjim must be a multi trades man 😱 Always check to see if they are part of the PDA painters and decorators association
Taff2509 17 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

I looked at that KREND!!!!!! Nasty stuff. Looks good for a day or two but then it hold mould and aglea! Some houses by me have it and there are red stains running down the KREND
 Hawky 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Taff2509:

Krend is rubbish to work with and it's not a great product. There is lots of problems with it. The staining is due to not brushing it down after its been finished and little bits are left which gather water and the water gets dirty, parex is a good render and so is powerwall. They all have huge guarantees but for that guarantee to work the render has to be the right depth with the right key in the scratch coat.
In all honesty you can't beat a lime render.
 jimjimjim 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Taff2509:

I'm not part of any trade body or master tradesman bull shit. Most if which you pay to join. They're for people that need to advertise. If you're a one/ two / three man outfit and you've been doing it for over five years and you need to advertise you're doing something wrong.
All word of mouth or repeat work. Always busy for the last 19 years.
I think these new modern renders that come in a choice of colours so don't need paint seem good and perform well. The less outside work the better if you ask me. Too unpredictable with the weather and modern paint doesn't perform well. Especially since 2010
Taff2509 18 Feb 2016
In reply to jimjimjim:

In reply to jimjimjim:

PDA AND GUILD OF MASTER TRADE MEN ARE NOT FOR ADVERTISEMENT PURPOSES.... PDA IS THERE FOR US PAINTERS & DECORATORS TO SECOND OUR WORKMANSHIP IF THE CUSTOMER THINKS ITS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM NOT TO PAY..... THEY GO TO COURT TO REPRESENT US PROFESSIONAL TRADES MEN IF IT CAME TO IT AND THEY CLAIM BACK THEIR FEES ASWEL AS OURS..... THIS HAPPEN TO ME 3 YEARS AGO WHEN A POLICE OFFICER I HAD DONE WORK FOR THOUGHT HE COULD GIVE IT THE BIG I AM!!!!! LOL LOW AND BEHOLD HE CAME OUT WORSE THANKS TO THE PDA, SO WHERE A £500 JOB TOTALED TO £3200 I HAD MY £500+40%. AS FOR ITS ONLY FOR ADVERTISEMENT AS YOU CALL IT IS BULLSHIT!! THE ONLY ADVERTISEMENT I HAVE IS 3 VANS, WEBSITE, SPONSOR FOR MY BOYS RUGBY TEAM AND SPONSOR OF LOCAL CHARITY.I ALSO EVERY 2 MONTHS GIVE 3 DAYS FREE FOR LOCAL CHARITY WORK I.E PEOPLE WHO WANT WORK FOND IN THIER HOMES BUT CANT AFFORD IT I WILL DO FOR NOTHING, ITS CALL PUTTING BACK INTO THE COMMUNITY.
 Dax H 18 Feb 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Dax's guy seems good and fast, maybe worth the money. I've seen enough bad decorating to not begrudge a good decorator earning a half decent living. Good plumbers also earn a lot more than £20 an hour.

Exactly my guy does very good quality work, works fast, arrives when he says he will, leaves everything clean and tidy when he is finished.
Well worth paying a few quid more. Well he was, he had a sudden heart attack a few years back.
In my opinion £20ph is cheap.
Free estimations cost the tradesman money and everyone gets 3 quotes these days.
Tools cost money, Joe would spend more on a paintbrush than I would spend on a spanner. In the hands of a good painter a good brush = good quality work. Then there is the van to pay for plus administration expenses, paper and ink for quotes, phone bill, accountant or book keeper come tax time.
 jimjimjim 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Taff2509:
Anything else you want to get off your chest?
And breath.......
Post edited at 07:31
 MG 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Dax H:

Yes, I was very impressed with the speed and quality of our decorator. I don't think viewing trades as a commodity is sensible - spending (even quite a lot) more for good work is worth it.
J1234 18 Feb 2016

We had a decorator do the whole house, inside and out. Went to Annecy for a week and came back and the house was painted, sweet. Cannot remember what it cost, but it is the way ahead.
 Ava Adore 18 Feb 2016

I've recently been on the hunt for various types of tradespeople for work to be done on my house and I've found that asking my friends for recommendations on Facebook has brought some good guys to my attention.
 Tony the Blade 18 Feb 2016

Visit any given B&Q and you will find a plethora of painters ready to do it very cheaply, they even provide their own roller extending pole.
 stubbed 18 Feb 2016

I pay around £250 per room including gloss, ceilings & preparing the surface (1 room will take 2 days ish).
I normally base it on how much per day per tradesman. Less than £150 for decorating I think is good.
It's quick & neat and they do a much better job than me.
 Wsdconst 18 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

> £20 per hour?. You can get a plumber or electrician for that amount. Painters get about £11 per hour on the books.

> I wouldn't pay any painter and decorator that amount.

Don't know why you've got all the dislikes I wouldn't pay that either, as the old saying goes if ya can p##s, ya can paint.
 Hawky 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

F*ck them and there dislikes mate. I am a top plasterer up here. I can paint with my eyes shut too. So can most people. No painter is worth that amount of money. It's the easiest job in the building trade.
Taff2509 18 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

We are glorified cleaners!!!! Scraping plaster off tops of door frames!!! Ryan will know??
In reply to Taff2509 and ryan p;

Either or both of you fancy a paid working holiday in SW England?

Hawky 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Yes i would love that. Need to get down there climbing sometime. Where are you ?
 Hawky 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Taff2509:

I don't leave a mess mate. Never ever. Especially on timber. Maybe an old floor if it's getting replaced.
In reply to ryan p:

Southern edge of Exmoor
Taff2509 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

What dates?
In reply to Taff2509:

It is sort of asap but can I can wait up to 6 months. Apologies if that is confusing.

Can email you a scanned copy of the insurance assessor guys scope if you want, although this is only half of what needs sorting.

I do need to scale drastically back on costs though - I took the dog for a 2000 mile walk that used a lot of the insurance payout.

Hawky 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:
I will message you some details and you can see my work on Facebook I have a page with all my work on it. Yes I can come down there anytime after next week or whenever you want really.
Thanks very much indeed.
Any climbing nearby for night time fun ?

Have emailed you 😊
Post edited at 19:33
Taff2509 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Sent you my email
 Fraser 18 Feb 2016

Maybe 3 years ago in Glasgow, I got a decent Polish guy through ratedpeople.com. He wasn't brilliant, but was thorough - maybe an 8/10. He painted 3 large rooms and a hall in a tenement rental property; emulsion on the 10' high walls and low level gloss on the woodwork. From memory it was just under £400 all in (he even supplied the paint and gave me the 'semi-empties' when done) which was pretty damned good.
 Hawky 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Rated people is another good one Fraser I am on that myself. I lived in Glasgow for 5 years and tradesmen are pretty cheap for some reason in the city which I found strange.

Most of the Polish are very good at what they do.
In fact the only people that I can say I couldn't keep up with were 2 Polish men in there 50s and they were rendering a 3 block of houses in 2 days, they never even broke sweat it was just normal for them, well impressive to watch.

Awesome thread. Ukc never disappoints.
Taff2509 18 Feb 2016
Try www.mybuilder.com
Post edited at 20:02
In reply to ryan p:

Will reply to this and your emails tomorrow - for now I just need to chill out.
In reply to Eeyore:

Have replied to ryan p and Taff509 nearest wall is http://www.rockandrapidadventures.co.uk/climbing-wall a few miles down the road.

I may also be looking for the following;

Chimney Liners
Roofer
Electrician
Plumber
Landscaper
Laborer

No promises of work yet - need to work out what is achievable within budget.

Genuine post if anyone is wondering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...