UKC

Red Squirrels Aviemore area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 17 Feb 2016
Does anybody know the best place to visit, which has a better than even chance of spotting a red squirrel in the Aviemore area
Been for walks around the local areas and also visited a cafe in Glenmore which has red squirrels visiting most days but not today.
My wife has never seen one and I promised her that we'd find some
Thanks
Andy
 Dark-Cloud 17 Feb 2016
In reply to andyd1970:

Last time i saw them was on the campsite near the cafe you speak of i suspect, they were just pottering around near the trees.
OP andyd1970 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
Had a good walk round the woods and the campsite after spending about an hour in the cafe but never found any
I think they were all hiding somewhere as the lady in the cafe said they feed them daily but she hadn't seen them today
 Fiona Reid 17 Feb 2016
In reply to andyd1970:

The Aviemore Youth Hostel garden had more than one bimbling around at New Year.
OP andyd1970 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Fiona Reid:
Thanks will have a look when I nip into Aviemore

Graeme G 17 Feb 2016
In reply to andyd1970:
The Potting Shed Tearoom, if it's open, in Feshie. Class cakes as well as squirrels. Also the cafe at the campsite in Glenmore.
Post edited at 21:16
 skog 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Yup, one ran in front of me just outside the front door of the Youth Hostel a couple of weekends ago.

They seem to be getting more common again in general, I think. Or, at least, I've seen a fair few of them about in the last two or three years. It's good!
 phizz4 17 Feb 2016
In reply to andyd1970:

It's a little way away from Aviemore but, when we used to stay in the hamlet of Drumguish, east of Kingussie, there were many around there. They would climb the render of the cottage and appear at the kitchen window. Park by the bridge over the Tromie and walk south into the woods.
OP andyd1970 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Yes went to the cafe next to the Glenmore campsite but they never turned up
OP andyd1970 17 Feb 2016
In reply to phizz4:
Will have a look
We are staying in Dalraddy campsite on the Alvie estate
In reply to andyd1970:
I saw one wandering around the Highland zoo the other day - bold as brass it was too!
Post edited at 21:29
 Sophie G. 17 Feb 2016
In reply to andyd1970:

You can see them around Loch Garten. I've seen them while cycling around Abernethy Forest. The best place I know for them, though, is the garden of the Old Manse at Tarfside in Glenesk. They're there all the time, though I suppose not so much in winter.

OP andyd1970 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Sophie G.:
Thanks guys got loads to go at if all fails it's off to the Zoo!!!
Post edited at 21:43
In reply to andyd1970:

I should point out that this squirrel was a wild one, not captive. it just happened to be in the zoo as they have put food boxes in to attract them. it's well worth a visit too BTW
 Dave the Rave 17 Feb 2016
In reply to andyd1970:

Wander down into Glen Feshie. Saw loads there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...