UKC

Women's Participation in Mountaineering Holidays

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Adele Doran 18 Feb 2016
premier post photo
FEMALE CLIMBERS PLEASE TAKE PART IN THIS SURVEY

I am a PhD student at Sheffield Hallam University studying women’s participation in climbing and mountaineering holidays and courses. I am specifically looking at why women (or why they don't) go on climbing and mountaineering holidays and courses, and what benefits they gain from going. The survey was launched at the Women's Climbing Symposium and has also been promoted by WomenClimb, Mountain Training, Rock & Sun and Jagged Globe.

Only 1/3 of recreational climbers and mountaineers in the UK are women. Climbing and mountaineering holidays and courses provide women with an opportunity to develop their climbing skills and gain confidence. Climbing holidays are particularly popular with women, however, women continue to be the minority on mountaineering holidays (27%) and they currently only account for 19% of Mountain Training's award holders.

If you are a woman who enjoys climbing and has considered, or participated in a climbing or mountaineering holiday or course (staying away from home for at least one night), please take the time to complete this survey. All responses will be anonymous. https://docs.google.com/a/my.shu.ac.uk/forms/d/1l88O2dVwpEjaGa-oBf_a2G2XXgA...

Mountaineering organisations and holiday providers are keen to understand the female market. They want to develop opportunities for women and address some of the issues that are preventing women from climbing and mountaineering holidays and courses. The results from this survey will be shared with industry partners to help create courses and holidays that are more tailored to female climbers, so a few minutes now will bring benefits in years to come!
 Heike 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Adele Doran:
I filled in the survey, however, there was always this dual meaning / sentence : a climbing holiday or a guided trip. I think this is very different. I have never been on a guided trip (although I have run guided trips myself), so I had always just answered this relating this to my own climbing holidays. It's a bit ambiguous and you might get distorted results because of this.

Post edited at 23:34
 climbingpixie 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Adele Doran:

I did try to reply but gave up. I agree with Heike, the lack of a distinction between holidays and courses (and between holidays and weekends away) made it really difficult to answer - these are very different things! What I get out of a weekend away climbing is different to a climbing holiday, and again very different to a climbing course.
 Sealwife 22 Feb 2016
In reply to Adele Doran:

I started the survey but it kicked me out for some reason, could be my inadequate broadband, who knows.

Anyhow, to echo what Heike and Climbing Pixie have said, there is a very big distinction between going on a climbing holiday and going on a climbing course whilst on holiday. I have been on many climbing holidays organised by myself, but never on a course whilst on holiday.
 Badpanda 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Adele Doran:

Hi Adele

It's a good idea and I've done the survey. Hope you get some interesting stuff. More women in the hills, the better...

Two things. Interesting that women are under-represented on courses, when at eg PYB there always seem to be a lot of women.

Secondly, I'm sure you've thought of this, but those answering on here are a very self-selected demographic. Their (our) answers could distort your stats. For instance, the question - are you put off by mountaineering by the dangers? I said, yes to some extent. I meant that eg I would not do the Mont Blanc traverse without a good weather forecast and I would worry about rockfall in the Gouter corridor in the late afternoon, so, yes I would be put off in certain (common) conditions. I don't know if the question was aimed at a more general - ooh climbing looks scary ?
 annak 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Adele Doran:

I've done the survey but I was confused by this question:

"The relationship with the leader/guide is important to the success of the mountaineering activity/course"

I never use a guide, and I am usually joint or sole leader. I'm not sure how to answer this question?
 climbwhenready 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Adele Doran:

What we seem to be getting from this is that women go on lots of climbing holidays, but they organise it themselves. The go-with-a-guide "expeditions" that companies run, however, are populated with us lily-livered men.
graham F 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Adele Doran:

Hi Adele
I am a female climber (using my husbands UKC login!) who, before marrying someone who became a IFMGA Guide used to go on Climbing Courses and Holidays. I am also now a Director of a large British Mountain Guiding business having bought Martin Moran's Alpine Courses business in 2014:
http://www.frostguiding.co.uk/

I am interested in this topic and have observed with interest the number of women booking on our Summer courses in the last 2 years and have some ideas. If you'd like to talk about this offline please contact me on: janine@frostguiding.co.uk

Good luck with your project,

Janine

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...