UKC

Climbing Hvannadalshnúkur

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Shilliday 18 Feb 2016
Has anyone ever been to Iceland and climbed Hvannadalshnúkur (the highest peak)? Any information regarding logistics of climbing it and how long it takes/how technical it is would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sam
 Mark Bull 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Sam Shilliday:

There's a brief description in this book: http://www.boksala.is/summit-100-mountain-hikes-in-iceland.html

If you PM me, I can send you a scan of the page.

ian.morrissey 18 Feb 2016

Went there a good few years ago but did not summit as could not find it in the mist. Once one the plateau (ice sheet) it is quite featureless and you really need a GPS. On the return the gap off the plateau is quite small so make a note of its location. Can be done in one long day from the car. Local info available from the park office.
 mbd 19 Feb 2016

Fran_G has put in a post in this same category entitled "Companion(s) needed for Mont Blanc summit" in which he says he's climbed it. Might want to chat with him (or her?)
 tobyk 19 Feb 2016

Wanted to climb it last summer when we were in skaftafell, but that is definetly not the time to do it as crevasses can be massive (ice cap is up to 1km deep in places) earlier on in spring is probably the best time to do it
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Feb 2016

It can't be any harder to climb than it is to pronounce.
OP Sam Shilliday 19 Feb 2016
In reply to tobyk:

I'm fairly sure when I was there a few years ago guides were still taking people up in summer. But thanks for the advice; I think crevasses may be the main issue with it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...