UKC

Damp Stain on Ceiling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 19 Feb 2016
We've got a discoloration of the ceiling following an abnormal ingress of water during the storms. I'm waiting to do a repair job when we get some settled weather but Mrs Fester is convinced that the stain is getting darker and wet again. I have felt it several times and it feels quite dry to me.

Anyone know if a ceiling wet stain darkens with age/as it dries out?
 Neil Henson 19 Feb 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

More likely to get lighter or disappear as it dries out. Might be worth running a hair dryer over it for a few minutes to see if you can get rid of it. If it then reappears you know you still have a problem.

If you draw round the edge of the stain with a pencil you will be able to see whether the damp patch is still expanding over time. Once it has dried out paint over it with a shellac stain block paint e.g. Zinsser, then decorate over the top. If you use standard paint straight on top of a damp stain it will show through.
OP FesteringSore 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Neil Henson:

> More likely to get lighter or disappear as it dries out. Might be worth running a hair dryer over it for a few minutes to see if you can get rid of it. If it then reappears you know you still have a problem.

Feels dry enough to me that a hair dryer wouldn't make much difference but thanks anyway. I'll give it a try.
OP FesteringSore 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Unknown Climber:

I've been looking quite closely and it seems statics. Thanks.
Taff2509 19 Feb 2016

Go to your local paint merchants like johnsons trade and ask for zinzer bin! It's a stain blocker shlac based and drys in minutes. Give the stain 2 coats and the paint the ceiling with normal emulsion
 Hawky 19 Feb 2016
Yes and then mould will grow on it.
I've tried numerous stain blockers and they only seem to work for a little while.

My advice is cut the plaster out back to the laths or brick or stone, let it dry out and re-plaster it.

Only after the exterior problem is fixed.

Ryan
Post edited at 20:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...