UKC

Brynge - is it the answer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 20 Feb 2016
I stated winter climbing 35 years ago in an old string vest but have moved on through all the in vogue stuff (smelly in Hellys, soggy in merino etc........). In my old age I am finding it more and more difficult to keep warm despite increasing numbers of layers almost yearly. Is Brynge the answer to staying dry and warm and therefore worth the money? Not looking for general clothing advice (I've tried most things) - just whether Brynge is all it's cracked up to be.
 BnB 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

My short answer would be yes. I wear a Brynje Super Thermo mesh tee under a Patagonia Nano Air under a softshell and it is hands down the best system for temperature regulation that I've found. And I've tried a few!!

I could go on to point out that a Brynje Super Thermo mesh tee at £25 costs no more than an equivalent polyester base layer from Rab or Patagonia (albeit more than one form Aldi). So what's the hang-up about the cost?
 SenzuBean 20 Feb 2016

> I stated winter climbing 35 years ago in an old string vest but have moved on through all the in vogue stuff (smelly in Hellys, soggy in merino etc........). In my old age I am finding it more and more difficult to keep warm despite increasing numbers of layers almost yearly. Is Brynge the answer to staying dry and warm and therefore worth the money? Not looking for general clothing advice (I've tried most things) - just whether Brynge is all it's cracked up to be.

I've been comparing a brynje long sleeve with a merino one (both under a rab Aeon) - and have definitely found it very warm, possibly the warmest in general. However I find it is not quite as warm around the neck, wait and wrists (being ever so slightly colder in these spots) - and is definitely not as comfortable as the merino.
 GridNorth 20 Feb 2016

You have my sympathy. I've just sold all my ice climbing gear because I have been unable to keep warm on the last couple of winter trips and I stopped enjoying ice climbing as a consequence . Indeed I feel the cold more on an every day basis much more than I used to. Luckily I've got to the age 67 before calling it a day. Good luck.

Al
 AlanLittle 20 Feb 2016

Yes
 ebdon 20 Feb 2016
In reply to AlanLittle:
Double yes with knobs on, I also really rate it for cycling.
However the sight of somone in full brynge is the most hideous thing you will ever see
Burgfrunde have some aclima stuff on offer at the moment if anyone is without
Post edited at 18:23
 colinakmc 20 Feb 2016

Got a vest for Christmas, tried it once, very effective - it's easier to stay drier too.

Haven't tried this ( not my thing) but probably good for gay clubbing too.....
 lithos 20 Feb 2016

i think they are great, I use it under an ME eclipse / R1 hoody or Rab Meco something which is lighter
just doesnt seem to get as sweaty.

looks stupid though
 bradholmes 20 Feb 2016

Bought my first set of mesh baselayer recently. Currently in Scotland making sure it gets a proper test. Can confirm it does what it says on the tin, very well. Just make sure your mid layer has the ability to vent and dump heat/moisture. Can't stress this enough as you're going to be surprised by how warm you are. Also Rhodri, the owner of Nordiclife is a really nice bloke who stands by his product and i had some excellent customer service from him when i bought my kit. 10/10 will go back.
OP Robert Durran 20 Feb 2016
Thanks all for replies. Sounds like its more than worth a try. Ordered a T-shirt.

nufkin 20 Feb 2016
In reply to ebdon:

> However the sight of somone in full brynge is the most hideous thing you will ever see

The taglines for their Norwegian adverts run something along the lines of 'Brynje - only for the stacked' and 'Brynje - it's not for fatties'
 Tricadam 21 Feb 2016

> Thanks all for replies. Sounds like its more than worth a try. Ordered a T-shirt.

I'm sure you won't regret it - though you will terrify your climbing partners if they're unfortunate enough to see you in it. I started using one (Super Thermo 3/4 Neck Zip Polo) a year ago for winter climbing. Prior to doing so, my base layer (and I'd tried both merino, MeCo and synthetics) would get so sweaty on the approach that I'd need to change it at the base of the climb. The Brynje, on the other hand, wicks remarkably well, meaning you stay surprisingly cool when you need to and surprisingly warm likewise. It also remains oddly clean-smelling, given that it's a synthetic. Just back from a week on the Ben during which I've worn it every day and no discernible whiff.

Hoping that Rab bring out their own version of this holy grail of winter climbing garments soon, not so much to drive down prices but because of the nomenclature potential: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rab+c+nesbitt&safe=off&client=ubu...
 Doghouse 21 Feb 2016
In reply to bradholmes:

> Also Rhodri, the owner of Nordiclife is a really nice bloke who stands by his product and i had some excellent customer service from him when i bought my kit. 10/10 will go back.

Couldn't agree more, great service.
 IM 21 Feb 2016

> Thanks all for replies. Sounds like its more than worth a try. Ordered a T-shirt.

Interested to hear how you get on with it. I got a T-shirt last winter. I sweat buckets. I think it is great and I am happy to wear it all day without replacing it for a dry base layer. Quite a revelation for me. Good luck!
 Rick Graham 21 Feb 2016

Does it need to be Brynge ?

I have had thermal T shirts with holes from several manufacturers over the last thirty years. All worked really well.

Who else makes them now?
 TobyA 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

Yes, I bought a cycling designed one from Decathlon for not too much last year and have been quite impressed with how it works summer and winter. Haven't used it off the bike though.
 Phil Anderson 22 Feb 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> The taglines for their Norwegian adverts run something along the lines of 'Brynje - only for the stacked' and 'Brynje - it's not for fatties'

They do an XXL size FFS! Bloody marketing. Hmph.
 iksander 22 Feb 2016

Yes it's very good in the paradigm dry = warm. If you're not getting sweaty at your most active and are still cold, something powerstretch is warmer in absolute terms.
OP Robert Durran 22 Feb 2016
In reply to iksander:

> Yes it's very good in the paradigm dry = warm. If you're not getting sweaty at your most active and are still cold, something powerstretch is warmer in absolute terms.

I am already wearing 4 midlayers including 2 powerstretch layers and something which most people class as a belay jacket (ME Fitzroy)! I don't wear the Fitzroy on the walk in (shell if wet and/or very windy), and have a softshell over the Fitzroy when climbing and carry a properly big belay jacket too.

jonnie3430 22 Feb 2016

Hanging jetboil on the belay with energy drink and lots of sugary food?
 nniff 22 Feb 2016

I am of the opinion now that Decathlon is the answer. My outfit last week consisted of Decathlon runners' thermo leggings, Quechua baselayer top, Simond microfleece and Simond alpin softshell jacket. That lot cost £70, which is considerably less than I paid for some Rab softshell trousers or indeed my gloves. I was quite comfortable - no need of that wretched hardshell stuff.

I was essentially Decathlon from head to toe, bar socks (Smartwool), outer gloves (BD or OR), softshell trousers, a buff and a powerstretch headband and some BD gaiters
 iksander 22 Feb 2016

> I am already wearing 4 midlayers including 2 powerstretch layers and something which most people class as a belay jacket (ME Fitzroy)!

Do you get sweaty in that lot? If not, I don't think Brynje is going to help much.

Where on your body are you getting cold? Hands, arms (Wrist warmers?), legs, torso or all over? Do you spend much time sat on the snow/ cold rock? Maybe primaloft shorts might help?
 nufkin 22 Feb 2016
In reply to Clinger:

> They do an XXL size FFS! Bloody marketing. Hmph.

Yeah, but their 'Medium' vest leaves most of my midriff exposed, so I can't imagine their XXL is all that massive

(they don't really advertise 'It's not for fatties', by the way. I just inferred it)
In reply to nniff:

> My outfit last week consisted of ...........Quechua baselayer top, Simond microfleece and Simond alpin softshell jacket.

I would be hypothermic within seconds of leaving my house in winter wearing as little as that. About what I'd have with me mountain cragging in summer.
In reply to iksander:
> Do you get sweaty in that lot?

Occasionally walking in in benign conditions (in which case I'd lose a layer or two).

> If not, I don't think Brynje is going to help much.

Oh well, I'll give it a try, but I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously considering giving up winter climbing because the clothing I need is becoming ridiculous - I seem to have a hit a vicious circle where sufficient insulation is just too much to allow any breathability.
Post edited at 19:28
 The New NickB 22 Feb 2016

> I would be hypothermic within seconds of leaving my house in winter wearing as little as that. About what I'd have with me mountain cragging in summer.

It's odd isn't, I would far too warm after a few minutes of activity. It's amazing the range of variation when it comes to feeling the cold.
 nniff 25 Feb 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Indeed - the softshell jacket was only necessary because of the Cairngorms gale - the rest of the week I'd been fine walking up and off the hill with a the baselayer and microfleece. Softshell and buff are adding for climbing and a belay jacket for hanging around
OP Robert Durran 25 Feb 2016
In reply to nniff:

> Indeed - the softshell jacket was only necessary because of the Cairngorms gale - the rest of the week I'd been fine walking up and off the hill with a the baselayer and microfleece. Softshell and buff are adding for climbing and a belay jacket for hanging around

Winter climbing must be such an uncomplicated joy with your metabolism (unless it's just that you are a naturally insulated fatty).
Removed User 25 Feb 2016

I had to google it, never heard of it. I had a mesh baselayer with a full zip-up turtleneck about 25 years ago and it was the business. I think it was made by HH but not sure.

I share your issue with being cold though. One thing that might help in winter is accumulating a little fat, with a view to losing it all in the spring. I have had periods (long ago) of making Bruce Lee look fat and they coincided with me feeling the cold a lot more than anyone else.
 nniff 25 Feb 2016

I wish - I'm basically skinny - I boil on the way up but freeze when I stop. Belays usually descend into shivery misery in fairly short order. I'm the person you see at the CIC hut piling on the clothes while we consider plan A and sort out some stuff, and taking it all off again a few minutes later.

I have to carry a rucksack stuffed full of clothes on the way up. I loathe hard shell because I boil in them and bitterly resent carrying something that I know I'll only wear if it's really tipping down. I'd wear Paramo, but I'd boil if it was raining on the walk in.
In reply to nniff:

> I boil on the way up but freeze when I stop. Belays usually descend into shivery misery in fairly short order.

> I have to carry a rucksack stuffed full of clothes on the way up.

I thought you said that all you take is a base layer, microfleece, soft shell and belay jacket!
Now you're sounding more like me.
 crayefish 25 Feb 2016

> In my old age I am finding it more and more difficult to keep warm despite increasing numbers of layers almost yearly.

Walk/climb/work harder or faster to keep you warm
 Tricadam 25 Feb 2016

Hi Robert, just in case you haven't explored this line already, if your tolerance to cold is something that's developed over time rather than something which has always been the case, it would be worth checking out potentially treatable medical causes. (Am an obstetrician/gynaecologist rather than a general medic or endocrinologist so shall stop speculating there!)

Either way, if build-up of sweat due to too many layers is an issue, with subsequent chilling on the belay, I'd be surprised if your new Brynje didn't help.
In reply to crayefish:

> Walk/climb/work harder or faster to keep you warm

It's the long belays which are the problem - if I just wanted to do easy routes, it wouldn't really be a problem.
 Tricadam 25 Feb 2016

PS If you do see a doc, make sure they do a urinalysis as well as blood tests.
In reply to Tricadam:

> Hi Robert, just in case you haven't explored this line already, if your tolerance to cold is something that's developed over time rather than something which has always been the case, it would be worth checking out potentially treatable medical causes.

I'm pretty sure it is nothing more than a change of metabolism with age and I don't think its just that I'm going soft! I've always worn more than my climbing partners, but it's now got to the point where the size of my sack and the amount I'm wearing is affecting my mobility a bit.
 crayefish 26 Feb 2016

> it's now got to the point where the size of my sack and the amount I'm wearing is affecting my mobility a bit.

Do you trip over your sack when walking? Or just that you need really baggy trousers now?

On a more serious note, I've heard that you can take some medication to improve circulation which helps climbers with cold hands or feet. Maybe worth trying?

jonnie3430 01 Mar 2016

You may want to try a hand warmer? My girlfriend recently ran out of the charcoal refills for mine, so I bought one of the Zippo ones as they say they lasted longer. Her verdict is that the charcoal (lit at both ends) is hotter and better for quick hand warming, but both are good in an inside pocket for general body warmth. The charcoal lasts about 4 hours, the Zippo actually does 12 hours, though there is a smaller 6 hour one available.

They live in a bag when lit, so can't open and set you on fire, before you ask...
OP Robert Durran 01 Mar 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:

> You may want to try a hand warmer?

The one thing I do have sorted is a glove system which works for me (actually my legs and feet are ok too). It is my torso which seems cold.

Tried out my new Brynge shirt pottering about the glorious Cuillins at the weekend. No long belays, but first impressions were positive!
 jonnie3430 01 Mar 2016

That's what I mean, with the amount of layers you have on a heat source under them all can make more of a difference than more layers, I know they are called hand warmers, but my girlfriend just keeps it in an inner pocket and it heats the torso. I suppose if it was called a torso warmer it would be more descriptive...
 IM 01 Mar 2016

> The one thing I do have sorted is a glove system which works for me (actually my legs and feet are ok too). It is my torso which seems cold.

I guess you may have tried this at some point, but I have recently been using a Montane Extreme jacket - a version of the old pile/pertex system. I wear it with a Brynge mesh t shirt, and that does me all day. Although I would probably throw on a belay jacket if I was standing around for a long while. A common criticism of this jacket [and similar, such as Buffalo] is that it is too warm on the walk-in etc. That is certainly the case with me but I am guessing you may not find that so much of an issue? Not having to faff around with layers makes it worth overheating a bit early on. Works really well with the Brynge. Would only contemplate using it in proper cold winter conditions, I would expire with heat exhaustion otherwise..
In reply to jonnie3430:

> That's what I mean, with the amount of layers you have on a heat source under them all can make more of a difference than more layers.

Sorry, yes, I see what you mean. I might try that!
 jonnie3430 01 Mar 2016

The big fishing shop next to seewoo in Glasgow has both types.
In reply to mac fae stirling:

> I guess you may have tried this at some point, but I have recently been using a Montane Extreme jacket - a version of the old pile/pertex system.

I used to use Buffalo but found I needed two layers of it plus other layers too, so the one system all day didn't work for me! I've also used Montane pile/pertex salopettes, but have now switched to powerstretch leggings and heavy duty, slightly lined softshell trousers.
 IM 01 Mar 2016

> I used to use Buffalo but found I needed two layers of it plus other layers too, so the one system all day didn't work for me!

Blimey.. OK.
I think you represent a unique challenge to the outdoor clothing industry...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...