UKC

Best maps for Himalayan trekking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 moorcroft12 20 Feb 2016
Hi all, just wondering if anyone might be able to help.

I'm heading off for a little jaunt this year. I'm planning on doing some solo trekking in Nepal and Bhutan. My big problem is finding a decent map for Trekking. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm aware that I'll not be getting anything like O/S quality, but having the bigger trails marked would be amazing.

Thanks for the help,

James
 Andy Manthorpe 21 Feb 2016
In reply to moorcroft12:

I managed to buy a satisfactory 1:12500 map in Kathmandu for the Annapurna trek I did years ago. I suspect you'll be able to buy adequate maps locally.
 BobtheBagger 21 Feb 2016
In reply to moorcroft12:

When I first visited 25 years ago maps were dire, but there are loads of good maps available now, of all the main trekking areas in Nepal.
The last time I was in Kathmandu I picked up a nice set published by Nepal Map Publishers Pvt. Ltd. based in Kathmandu, they do several, ie: Everest Base Camp; Around Annapurna; Langtang/Gosainkund/Helambu; Rolwaling/Gaurishankar/Tesi Parcha; Around Manaslu. Scales are between 1:60,000 to 1:125,000. They cost around 500 Nepalese Rupees about four years ago. These are very good maps in full colour with all the additional info you need for trekking. Don't know about Bhutan though, no been yet, still on the wish list.

Enjoy your travels.
 Mr. Lee 21 Feb 2016
In reply to moorcroft12:

Another vote for just picking up Nepal maps in Kathmandu. Lots of choice at a fraction of the price compared to the UK. Not sure if you'll be able to find maps there for Bhutan. I thought all days spent in Bhutan needed to be guided, or have I misunderstood the travel/visa restrictions?
OP moorcroft12 21 Feb 2016
Thanks everyone for the advise, really appreciate it. Looking forward to getting there now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...