UKC

A plug for Tulloch hostel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 21 Feb 2016

If you need accommodation in this area, the food is EXCELLENT and good value.
Post edited at 08:39
llechwedd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

Did you stay as a group?
OP Phil1919 21 Feb 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

No, 3 of us.
llechwedd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Phil1919:
When I stayed there solo a few years ago, a group of 4 had prebooked an evening meal for their arrival. I arrived back whilst they were eating- I was a bit done in after walking out to Aberarder to come back along the Munros to Beinn Teallach and the hostel. In good spirits, and perhaps sensing I was tired, the diners invited me to the meal leftovers.

I remember that the food was tasty, but was a bit inhibited in enjoying it because the female half of the couple running it, who had cooked the meal, shot me several looks of disgust, as if I were stealing her profits. She was fine with the others who had paid for the food I was now eating the scraps of.
Subsequently, when I used the same kitchen room to cook for myself, one of the hostel couple would come in to ensure all the windows were opened to let in the midges in their hordes, and to tut at minor things that some other hosteller hadn't done correctly.

So. might just be me, but I got the impression if you self catered there, rather than paid for their meals, the reception was a bit frosty. Beds were fine and the shower good though.
Post edited at 15:59
OP Phil1919 21 Feb 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

Yes, I would agree with that. First time I stayed there I self catered and felt the same as you. The kitchen isn't brilliant for self catering either. But they let me do it. This time when I paid to eat it did feel better and I was rewarded by great food. They've been doing it along time and are ready to stop I'd say, but the food doesn't suffer as a result.
 allanscott 21 Feb 2016
In reply to llechwedd: Have to agree with Clint86 about the grub. Have enjoyed it in the past and it's excellent value. Two of us were there last week self catering this time with no stress from Belinda and Alan. They even did our dirty dishes for us. A good comfortable bunkhouse.
It was generous of the guys to feed you from their meals but bad form for you to take it I think. Not surprised the owners were a bit frosty with you to be honest.

llechwedd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to allanscott:

> It was generous of the guys to feed you from their meals but bad form for you to take it I think. Not surprised the owners were a bit frosty with you to be honest.

Better to throw it away?
 Dave the Rave 21 Feb 2016
In reply to allanscott:

> It was generous of the guys to feed you from their meals but bad form for you to take it I think. Not surprised the owners were a bit frosty with you to be honest.

What a rotten, cold hearted statement to make. I think that the gesture was fantastic and to turn it down rude. I don't know what the owners thought, but they would have been paid for the meals.
It's people like you that I don't want to meet.
 MG 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

Me too. I think the kitchen is the problem. It is used by both the owners and self caterers, which leads to tension. Otherwise a good place though - comfortable, clean and cheap.
OP Phil1919 21 Feb 2016
In reply to MG:

Yep, agree again. I'd certainly use it again and happy to do so on their terms.
OP Phil1919 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I think with disputes like this, you have to be there to understand the situation properly. Difficult to judge it on cold facts, although its obvious where you re coming from.
llechwedd 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

The group dining were spirited Glasgow men. The vibe they gave off was good natured, not at all know-all, and out to enjoy their time out of the city. Gregarious and voluble. The sort of guys who would be good company in a bothy. They'd all but finished their meal, telling me how good it was.

I went away to my room to fetch the ingredients to cook, but couldn't get started as they repeatedly invited me to sit and have a can of Tennents. It was difficult to refuse a drink from the point of manners, I would have preferred to avoid alcohol being tired and dehydrated. The effect on my energy levels was pronounced. Too tired to cook, with 4 guys stuck round a small table, cramped, thigh to thigh, and part of me really just wanting to go and get some sleep, but also aware that I should contribute to the tale trading to repay their hospitality, and them eager to hear about the big walk I was on, I was 'led astray'..

The food they offered was literally the burnt bits around the edge of the dish and the cold scraps of naan bread. Not really something that could be resold. I gave into their invitation to eat when I was no longer capable of cooking by virtue of tiredness not drunkenness. They had paid for the dishes, I reasoned, so it was their gift to give. I would be sitting at the same table if I was eating my own food. I was not gatecrashing, but reluctantly contributing to the group's entertainment. One of those situations where you may be a reluctant participant at the time, but some small part of you also enjoyed the company of your fellow men. This was in noted contrast to the disdain shown by the owner's facial expression. It stuck in my head and that is why I contributed to this post. The hostel is somewhere I would go again, but that attitude I saw was judgemental, not the personable grumpiness I can live with, once exemplified at Gerry's Hostel.

OP Phil1919 22 Feb 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

I feel I beneffitted from getting to know them better from my second visit. From my first visit I can fully understand your feelings.

As an extra, I had a similar experience on train back down to Oxenholme. We were swamped and surrounded by 15 Glaswegians of a variety of ages on their way to a stag do in Liverpool. Drinking, vapouring(?), noisy, uncouth, but VERY friendly and accommodating in their own way. The Virgin staff tolerated them but generally kept clear!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...