UKC

Z-poles freezing up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SethB 21 Feb 2016
I've got a problem using 'Z' style poles in winter conditions (Leki micro vario). They rely on the upper section sliding out then clicking into place in order to lock the pole and make it possible to use. I'm referring to the bit used to lock the pole, not to the adjustable sliding section.

This section can freeze in place when packed away. There is only about 2cm of slim, smooth pole sticking out to then grip and pull this section out. I have found this impossible to do under real conditions even with very grippy gloves and trying to thaw with hands (not too great in wild sub-zero conditions!).

I have tried adding grip tape to improve grip, and also a very tightly fixed cable tie. Neither worked.

Has anyone found a way to solve this problem?
 Gazlynn 21 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:
Sorry no cure but I've been having the same issue with the Black Diamond Z poles...

So I'm also interested if anyone has a solution?

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 10:58
 solostoke 21 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:

Have you used a lubricant to stop them freezing?
 Andes 21 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:

Not really... but thru long experience at altitude I've learned that the most effective way of freeing up frozen parts in cold conditions is to breath on them really hard... might be worth a try.
 Rick Graham 21 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:

Are you trying to pull them apart ?

Try rotating the joint slightly to crack the bond, then rotate and pull to draw it out in a zigzag track, if that makes sense.

Like solostroke said, use something like ziplube/silicone spray to reduce sticking.
 Andy Nisbet 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

Be careful using a lubricant, as you can find they never lock again. I've heard of folk spraying with WD40 and ruining the poles.
 Tim Sparrow 21 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:

A smear of vaseline solved it for me this week. No problems with this on z poles as its a mechanical stop, not a grip stop as with flick locks.
 BnB 21 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:

Ive been experiencing similar issues. When mine froze solid last weekend at -5, I smashed them into five pieces and put the bits in my rucksac.

I have found this to be a short term solution however. Remedied by taking old school flick lock poles apart, cutting down the lengths with a hacksaw and voila! rucksac friendly poles that don't stick!!

franhammond92 21 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:
I've got some similar Alpkit poles. I try popping the joint in my mouth for a bit to melt them and if that doesn't work put them in my jacket for the first ten minutes which does the job.
Post edited at 11:56
 StuDoig 21 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:

They look a similar design to my BD poles. I've never had them freeze up though. To give more grip area, it looks like you can extend the length available to grab by extending the Pole length via the flick lock? if you can then you'll get a much better length to grip.

I've found my poles jammed due to corrosion before, using leatherman to grip and twist solved it. Since then I've regularly sprayed the sliding section with GT80 which seems to have solved the issue. Try using that after you've dried your poles out - might help for future.

Cheers,

Stu
OP SethB 23 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:

Thanks everyone for suggestions. After further experiments I've now got what seems like a practical solution under 'lab' conditions (i.e. domestic freezer at -20 degrees having worked as much water into the joint as I could). Not yet tried in the wild but I can't see why it'd not work ok.

You need a small loop of wide, strong tape - I used 25mm flat nylon, having snapped a thinner tape, and not getting enough purchase with prussick loop type cord (although I imagine it could work sometimes...). By 'small' I mean about 10cm laid flat or less. I used a simple overhand knot to make the loop. I plan to leave the loop in the pole storage bag. The same effect could come from any tape - a sling or actual belt - although much length will be a nuisance, and I'm not sure a knot used to shorten it would then be easy to undo. Finally, the handle loop is an obvious option if strong enough - the Leki ones use a skinny tape I'm suspicious could be snapped by what I'm describing, and I'm not prepared to test mine to destruction. I've asked Leki if they'll do so, and if they do, I'll post the response! I think BD handle loops are strong enough although not 100% sure stitching couldn't be damaged? Note that to do this, you obviously need to loop them over the handle itself so it's effectively a separate loop for the purposes of this technique.

Anyway, it's as simple as using the loop as a tourniquet to grip the un-grippable frozen bit so tightly it can be twisted:

- Insert the 1st pole section into the stuck section (which is just a freezing slippery 2cm stub at this point..)
- Put the loop over the pole, wrapped flat around the stuck stub and the joint
- Into the loop insert ice axe handle, handle of the other pole, large krab, rescue knife or anything else strong
- Twist until it's tight (*really* tight - as I said, I snapped thin tape whilst experimenting!) (nb the ferrule inside the point where the tape is so I had no concerns about crushing the pole - same comment does NOT apply to using pliers or similar to grip...).
- You've got the pole handle in one hand the ice axe/whatever int he other and this grips well enough to twist the frozen joint apart. It was definitely easier with a big long thing - handle of the other pole worked best of all - but still possible, if awkward, with a snap gate krab or spatha knife.
 Andy Moles 24 Feb 2016
In reply to SethB:

I like the sound of your experiment. I managed to break the internal cord of my BD compactor poles when I had this problem (they were not so much frozen as corroded into place after a few months without use I think).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...