UKC

Looking for crag packs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Cook 21 Feb 2016
Hi I do a bit of everything (sport climbing, trad climbing, everything pretty much). I want a new pack that I'll be able to fit all my gear in, any recommendations?

Thanks
 HeMa 21 Feb 2016
In reply to h.cook2000:

You want to also Climb with the pack? And how long or hard are the approaches? Planning on flying to Spain for some bolt clipping?

A dedicated cragpack, basecamp duffel, haulbag or even Ikea bag might be options. As well as normal rucksacks.
OP Harry Cook 21 Feb 2016
In reply to HeMa:
I'm just looking for a larger pack which I can lug to the crag and back, approaches vary, sometimes it's really short but then sometimes there much longer, escpecially when I'm in the Lake District. I'm planning a trip to Spain and Italy next year so that's not my main worry at the moment. Any ideas?
 TobyA 21 Feb 2016
In reply to h.cook2000:

Have you seen http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3906 ? I wrote it a few years back now so the models have changed but it gives some ideas what to look for. The DMM one is a popular newer model and it looks like marmot have just brought out a specific crag pack also.
In reply to TobyA:

Ok thanks
 GridNorth 21 Feb 2016
In reply to h.cook2000:

I like the Patagonia Cragsmith at 35 litres and the Mammut Neon at 45 litres. Very similar concepts. I would have bought the Patagonia but needed a rucksack on a trip last year and got the Mammut for a very good price. It's only downside, as far as I can see, is that the loops for accessory cord are too high but at 45 litres I'm not sure that I will need to strap anything to the outside apart from an extra rope which is well catered for. I would stress that these are "crag sacks" and as such a little different to rucksacks. I like being able to get to things without having to tip everything out and that to me is the essence of a crag sack.

Al
In reply to GridNorth:

I've looked at the neon 45. My primary rope for all climbing is 10.2 70m would I be able to fit this rope in the sack along with all my trad gear?
In reply to h.cook2000:

I've not long been back from a trip to the Costa Blanca. I took a DMM Flight 45l
http://dmmclimbing.com/products/flight/
Took it on board as carry on. At the crag it easily fitted a 70m rope, QDs, harness, two pairs of rock shoes and loads of other stuff. Excellent facility on the outside to lash a rope, and a helmet, and external pocket for drinks bottle. Well sized zipped pocket to take guidebook. Managed to get extra clothing in for cold days in Echo Valley! Overall. Highly recommended.
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Would it fit a trad rack in with all the stuff you stated?
 GridNorth 21 Feb 2016
In reply to h.cook2000:

That's a big, heavy old rope by today's standards. I use doubles for trad, one rope normally carried by my partner, and a single 70 metre 9.8 for sport and that works fine.

Al
 HeMa 21 Feb 2016
In reply to h.cook2000:

Depends on the trad rack...

I'm sure the classic UK rack would be fine (2 full sets of nuts, a few cow bells). But dessert rack would not (doubles on all sizes cams, plus triples on C4 0.3 to 3).

Back to business, I'm using a DMM Vector, Ikea bag and 60l haulbag. For summer, they all work just fine. For winter, it get's a tad crowed (often need to fasten helmet outside, as well as the big belay puffy).

For generic craggin', I'd look into the cheapo Simond, DMM Flight and BlueIce Octopus as an all rounder. They all should fit in as carry on, on planes... and about fit all sport climbing stuff. Trad stuff should also fit, especially if you can lug the rope out side.
In reply to GridNorth:

Yeh it wasn't particularity what I'd choose but got it as a Christmas present from parents...
In reply to HeMa:
I think I'll end up with the vector or the mammut neon

Does the dmm flight have a rope lash on the outside?
In reply to h.cook2000:

> Does the dmm flight have a rope lash on the outside?

Yes and a clever helmet lash on the outside too

Do you think I'll be able to strap a 70m rope to the outside or not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...