UKC

Things to do in Newlands valley?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TomGB 22 Feb 2016
Hi,

Staying at the carlisle mc hut this weekend and looking for suggestions as to what to do? Don't mind walking, scrambling, climbing. did the round of Robinson, Dale Head etc last time we were there.

Cheers
 Mountain Llama 22 Feb 2016
In reply to TomGB:

Hi Tom

This http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=634715 including grasmoor extension!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=coledale+horseshoe&oq=coledale+&a...

Great end may be worth a look from Seathwaite for a bit of look for winter action as weather looks to get cool for Tues and Wed. If it's pants continue over to scafell pike and return via corridor route.

HTH Davey

LakesWinter 22 Feb 2016
In reply to TomGB:

Not much winter action in the valley itself - the crags are too heathery for good mixed climbing - I looked in 2010, one of the cold winters. If we get at least a week of cold temps then Newlands Hause waterfall is a nice grade 3 with a downhill approach
 3leggeddog 22 Feb 2016
In reply to TomGB:

If all else fails, just enjoy the hut, it is the best in the lakes by far.
 felt 22 Feb 2016
In reply to TomGB:

The mine on the left side of the base of Hindscarth is fun; take a torch and wellies.
 Dave the Rave 22 Feb 2016
In reply to TomGB:

Not sure what climbs there are on The Crag Hill face on the Coledale Horseshoe, but it was wintry last Friday .
In reply to TomGB:
Newlands Hause needs a good long freeze - unlikely with present conditions. No other winter potential nearby. So long as it is not blowing a gale or pouring horizontal rain, Newlands Gully on Miners is good in the wet. In fact many excellent routes on that crag - Corkscrew, Rope Walk, Newlands Buttress, Miners Grooves, Jezebel. Sunny spot, great rock. A cut above Waterfall Buttress or Red crag/Grey Buttress at this time of year.
DC
 dan bulman 22 Feb 2016
In reply to felt:
does the mine go all the way through to the other side??
Post edited at 20:14
 felt 23 Feb 2016
In reply to dan bulman:

The times I've been in, decades ago, we stopped at a large chamber with wooden scaffold 100m in, maybe.
OP TomGB 23 Feb 2016
In reply to TomGB:

thanks chaps, some good suggestions there. We'll have a fairly mixed ability group so the coledale round seems like a winner. Haven't had a nice long winter walking day in a while, then maybe drive over to Great End on Sunday depending on conditions. Touch wood, the forecast is looking pretty positive!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...