UKC

Sponsored events

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 22 Feb 2016
In reply to john arran:

The mash on target as always.

Mass post this link next time someone posts a crowdfunder project asking for cash to go for a walk in Scotland in winter.

R
abseil 22 Feb 2016
In reply to Roberttaylor:

> ....Mass post this link next time someone posts a crowdfunder project asking for cash to go for a walk in Scotland in winter.

Yes, maybe, or asking for cash to climb Kilimanjaro or Cho Oyu or Everest, never fails to amaze me. Machu Picchu was an appropriate target, though, I've seen several people asking for money to fund their holiday there.
Calski 23 Feb 2016
In reply to abseil:
Yes, I agree that asking for sponsorship to help fund a trip is not on, and I would be highly reticent to sponsor someone doing this.

What about sponsorship for doing something you are already planning, as long as all the sponsorship goes to the charity / worthy cause?

I ask because I'm a member of a Scottish MRT and one of my MR buddies and I are planning on climbing Denali in 2019. We will fund the trip entirely ourselves, but hope to use it as an opportunity to raise funds for our team. We both think this is reasonable, but given this thread I'm keen to understand any contrasting views.

Cheers, Calaki
Post edited at 10:18
 climbwhenready 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Calski:

That's fine. "I'm doing this thing, and I'm using it as an opportunity to ask you to donate" is a very common situation... what really riles me is when less than 100% of that donation goes to a charitable cause and starts funding holidays.
abseil 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Calski:

> .....What about sponsorship for doing something you are already planning, as long as all the sponsorship goes to the charity / worthy cause?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that that is completely OK. And lots of luck to you - I hope your trip to Denali goes really well. I admire anyone who does what you are planning to do. (So I entirely agree with climbwhenready's post/opinion).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...