UKC

Cairngorms this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 newvena 22 Feb 2016
Hi folks,

Have a trip planned up to the Northern Corries this weekend, one experienced winter climber, one novice (although strong rock climber).
We were planning some gullies (goat track gully/Red gully) and ice (Aladdin's mirror) if confident.
My concern is:
Avalanche reports.
Been keeping a close eye on the reports and it doesn't look good, and it's a long drive and I don't like unnecessary risks.
How is it in those specific areas mentioned?
Should we go elsewhere? Lurchers a better option due to aspect? How's the approach; never been to Lurchers.
Alternatively what's your recommendations?

Ta,
 Root1 22 Feb 2016
In reply to newvena:
Lurchers faces west, the Faichaille Buttress faces east and Hells Lum etc South Eastish. Plenty of aspects to choose from in Avalanche conditions.
Post edited at 17:41
OP newvena 22 Feb 2016
In reply to Root1:
Thanks,
That was my thinking.
Today's report states "firm and stable" on south west to north west aspects, hence why I mentioned Lurchers.
It's a good excuse to head out that way I suppose!
Post edited at 17:44
 Ryan23 22 Feb 2016
In reply to newvena:

I was in sneachda today and yesterday, climbed on mess of pottage both days as did most others. Approach slopes were okay to mess of pottage, as were summit slopes. All grade I-III routes were done on that crag the last couple of days. Along with many others.
Aladdin's mirror was buried in snow, but other routes on Aladdin's Buttress looked alright.
Given the avalanche forecast we felt approaches to flutted buttress and fiacail buttress would be dangerous.
Obviously this could all change by the weekend though. Hope this helps.
OP newvena 25 Feb 2016
In reply to newvena:

Anyone else been in Sneachda in the last couple of days? looking OK?
ian stewart 26 Feb 2016
In reply to newvena:

Conditions report here. Have a great weekend

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=635472&new=8245567#x8245567

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...