UKC

Mongol rally donations needed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cptmannering 23 Feb 2016
Hi guys, I need your help. My brother and I are driving from the UK to Mongolia this year in the mongol rally to raise money for cool earth and macmillan cancer support. We are in need of any unwanted camping equipment or cold weather gear as we can't afford to pay for it all. Thanks.
 Arty 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Cptmannering:

what happens to the cars? who brings them back - or do they go to the chinese steel industry?
Cptmannering 23 Feb 2016
In reply to EddInaBox:

Yeah that's us haha
Cptmannering 23 Feb 2016
In reply to timmsy:

We can either drive it back to the UK, or send it to Lithuania to be scrapped. We are going with the latter because of the cost and time of driving back is too much
Cptmannering 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tom F Harding:

If you had read the post properly you would have seen that we are raising money for Cool Earth and Macmillan cancer support. We have already raised £1000 which has been sent to thone charities. I don't keep any of it, and if you think I would you are mistaken. We just need some help with gear as we can't afford to get it. There are many people who are not donating until we have completed the rally and I would like to be able to donate as much as possible. Posting links to stuff about some guy being a theif is not funny or helpful.
 Tom F Harding 23 Feb 2016

It's a completely fake slightly humorous spoof news article. Best of luck
le_quack 24 Feb 2016

You would have been better off doing it with http://www.charityrallies.org/ rather than the adventurist. The adventurist is a business and profits from your entrance fee the charity rallies guys are an actual charity and put there profits back into good causes'.
 DaveHK 24 Feb 2016

There's rich irony in driving thousands of miles to raise money for an environmental charity.
 JJL 24 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> There's rich irony in driving thousands of miles to raise money for an environmental charity.

This.
Tell you what. I'll sponsor you *not* to go.

Anyway, donation made to McMillan and good luck
cb294 24 Feb 2016

Clever idea to combat man made global warming by driving half way round the earth.

Reminds me of the old '80s slogan about fighting for peace resembling f*cking for virginity...

CB
 John Ww 24 Feb 2016

> " driving from the UK to Mongolia this year in the mongol rally to raise money for cool earth"

You do understand the word "irony" don't you?
Please tell me you're taking the piss.

JW

Cptmannering 24 Feb 2016
In reply to John Ww:

It's the adventurists chosen charity, I don't get a choice on the matter. Which is why I chose to donate to macmillan as well. At least I'm doing something while you are just criticising the people who are trying to make a small difference. Grow up mate
 mlt 24 Feb 2016

I have a good memory of seeing some people on the rally in Kyrgyzstan of all places, car broken down on the road, all looking pissed off and another dude chundering everywhere on the road. So I wish you better luck than them! I've seen an old ambulance in Olgii left over from 2012 as well, plenty of places to donate the car if you want. I see it finishes in Ulan-Ude this time, that'll be fun, maybe you can swap out your car for a Lada Niva 4x4 or UAZ and drive that back instead through Russia (dirt cheap fuel atm), you could probably re-sell it for OK money in Lithuania as well.
 Brass Nipples 24 Feb 2016

> At least I'm doing something

Making a massive personal contribution to global warming.....

John Ww 24 Feb 2016

> "It's the adventurists chosen charity, I don't get a choice on the matter"

Of course you do - it's called "don't drive halfway round the world, do something else to raise money instead".

And I'm not your mate.

JW
 jonathandavey 25 Feb 2016

Maybe just go on a cheaper holiday this year? Let's not try and kid anyone, you're doing this because it sounds like great fun, the charity element is a bit of something and nothing on the side.

Oh and get in touch with The Cornishman to correct this line in their article: "The car, the visas and everything else towards the trip will be paid for from the boys' own pockets."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...