UKC

REVIEW: Grivel Air Tech Crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 23 Feb 2016
Grivel Air Tech montage, 4 kbMost winter fans need an all-rounder in their crampon stash - one pair for everything from Munro walks to lower grade mountaineering. The Grivel Air Tech is designed specifically to meet this broad remit. So how does it perform? Dan Bailey gives it a bash.

Read more
 Marq 25 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Nice article. I have a pair but I haven't fitted the link bar accordians which means they go nice and short when packing into the bag. I haven't noticed a significant balling up issue as a result of not having them on. Used in the Alps and across the UK.

Marq
 mwatson 26 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Does anyone else think these reviews are becoming more like press releases? I know UKC is a company and needs to make money off advertising but does this make it worth only saying nice things about products just to keep the sponsors happy?

maybe this one isn't so bad, grivel do make good crampons, but it might be worth mentioning that for the same price you can get lighter more technical petzl darts or that crampons last ages and it might be worth buying something that wont hold you back in the long run (I'm not saying darts are perfect but no comparisons to other options seams odd for a review)?

Maybe this is a better example :
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6039

who can't find anything bad to say about that guide? surely the author didn't just miss that it might be a bit of a pain to shove it down your top for a whole multi pitch because it won't fit in any pocket. Or that rockfax's choice to make black spots start at 7a+ for sport means that almost every sport crag in the book is almost entirely black spot making the system pointless? no comparison to the existing guide...

maybe if i'm this sick of reading this sort of stuff i should get on with my work and stop procrastinating but maybe if you want people to take your reviews seriously you need to say something is rubbish every now and then...
 HeMa 26 Feb 2016
In reply to mwatson:

> but it might be worth mentioning that for the same price you can get lighter more technical petzl darts...

Yes, or even better technical crampons.

But all of them are shite for walkin' and easy snow. Which is where the Air Tech comes in. It's a walkin' crampon that can be used to moderate grades (AI4 and I'd say up to V, 6 or so).

And yes, I do have both, Darts and Air Techs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...