UKC

Broken rib?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tomtom 23 Feb 2016
Hi all,
Long story short I fell off a beam I was standing on to reach something, and ended with said beam in my chest. Good times.
Anyhow, one week on, and I'm still in significant pain with it. I've clearly damaged a rib in some way, but I'm unsure as to what extent.
I know there's nothing that can be done to solve my problem, so I've avoided medical help, but I'm now getting curious about the extent of damage, mainly so I can get an idea of how long I'm gonna be whimpering like a pup for each time I move.
Is it worth my getting an X-ray or nah?
Also, any leeds/bratford locals know if otley will do them, or is BRI better than LGI for a and e, should an x Ray be a viable idea?

Ta muchly.
 Harri777 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

I can't advise on whether you need an xray, but I do know you can get one at Otley through their walk in service - I had a GP referral though and I'm not sure if you can go in without one. I just went to the GP in the morning and got the xray a couple of hours later. I did have to wait a few days for the film to be sent back to the GP to get the results.

Hope you get it sorted!
 Mike Conlon 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom: Speaking very much as a layman but with several episodes of damaged ribs through rugby. What you must not do is put up with the pain as some macho response. To aid recovery you should take plenty of over the counter painkillers - I was advised by A&E after three weeks of no obvious recovery, Paracetamol AND Ibrufen staggered but maximum recommended dosage. Couple this with regular inflation of the lungs (deep breaths), say every hour. As I stated I am a layman but it has worked for me each time. Good luck.
 Jimbo C 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Even if the only thing you can do is take pain killers, it's still worth getting a doctor to check it out, if only to confirm your own diagnosis and check that there is nothing more serious going on.
 Aly 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

If you are concerned then go and get some medical advice that isn't from the internet and is from somebody who can examine you.

X-Rays are not *usually* indicated for suspected simple rib fractures without any other thoracic complications but you may be able to get a prescription for some stronger painkillers to help you breathe/sleep/move properly.
Either a walk-in centre or your GP are probably a better option than A&E if they're available.
 Nick Alcock 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Whatever you do don't, and I speak through bitter experience, get a cough.

D
 Roadrunner5 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Yeah I cracked mine playing rugby.. laughing sneezing and coughing is agony for weeks.

I didn't get mine X-rayed. It was heavily bruised so knew I'd done damage and it didn't seem a serious fracture, a crack at most, so just protected the area. My wife's just graduating med school so she had a look and said there was probably no point in the cost or time (we have to pay here in the US).

It took much longer than I expected to heal, probably a few months.
 Bob Aitken 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

I'd like to admire your fortitude, but I don't how you can be so certain that nothing can be done to solve the problem, or to reduce your discomfort. For myself, as a 100% fully-signed-up wimp I'd definitely take myself along to the GP on all such occasions for a bit of reassurance at the very least. Best wishes for a rapid recovery anyway.
 MrJared 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Can take up to 8 weeks to heal properly, once you can start moving around without pain start slowly stretching, being doubled over with the pain can do all sorts of thing to your muscles (and you probably damaged them in the fall).

I didn't get an x-ray but I was aware that if I had breathing problems I would have gone and got one. Punctured lungs etc.

Good luck with your recovery
Tomtom 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Thanks for the advice, all.
I think I might try otley tomorrow morning as a walk in and see what they can do, failing that I'll try my gp.

I did three days worth of ibuprofen at the time, at package recommended dose more or less. It didn't seem to do much, and if didn't want to prolong that course to prevent stomach upsets that I've had before from long term ibuprofen. I'm going to get back on them now though, for another few days.

I've found that as I'm moving less because of the pain, being sedentary is actually making it worse, so thanks for the deep breaths tip. I'll work on that, and try not to lay around so much feeling sorry for my self!

Haha dervish! I did the unexplainable body thing of breathing in/swallowing and chocking on nothing earlier (I do hope that isn't just me that does that from time to time?!). The resulting coughing wasn't a fun experience!
cb294 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Just been through this. Best tip I got was to have a towel handy and wrap it tightly around your chest if you need to sneeze or cough. Failing that, pull with your opposite hand against the injured site and turn your head away, not quite as good but better than the agony that normally ensues.

Seek medical help immediately if you find blood in your urine (possible kidney damage) or have massive difficulty breathing (punctured thorax lining). Otherwise, enjoy the next few weeks.....

Also, kinesiotape helped me a lot during recovery.

CB
Tomtom 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Breathing doesn't seem too be too painful or laboured, and it's right up by my armpit at the side, so fortunately not kidney issues to worry about, and I'm feeling my lungs are on the safe side too. I don't think it's too bad in terms of damage. A slight crack at the most I reckon. It hasn't gotten any better in the week since it happened, but I'll see how it goes.
Mornings tend to be worse, and I get horrendous pain if I move funny at work, but I'm quickly learning my limits with it. Such a shame the weather is so good at last, I'm missing some serious time on the grit!
Appreciate all your time and well wishes. Think I'll book in the with gp, and just take a course of ibuprofen until then.
 Hooo 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Go to the doc and get some codeine. Even if you don't need it now, just keep it handy. If you get a cough you'll be glad to have it!
 ben b 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Rib fractures tend to hurt most at two times: within about 24hrs (acute injury and bruising) and 7 days (ribs start knotting back together rather than flapping in the breeze). After the first 10 days or so it is a slow recovery, that usually takes 6 weeks in total.

An X ray is NOT needed unless there is risk of damage to underlying lung (puncture, large bleed) both of which are fairly obvious to your GP/ ED doc without the need of an x ray... X rays are also often really poor at showing fractures (ribs crowd together and other stuff gets in the way), so even if there isn't a fracture seen it doesn't mean you don't have one.

As others have correctly said, take painkillers and keep going. Deep breathing shouldn't be too painful, and cough pads (wrapped up towel etc) make coughing less painful when held over the area. If you get fevers and manky sputum see your GP or ED but otherwise it will be gone eventually!

Good luck

Dr B (who broke three ribs in the Slig beer garden colliding with a fast moving drunken dwarf after the Glamaig race...)

MrJared 24 Feb 2016
In reply to ben b:

Have a like just for that last line!
 ben b 24 Feb 2016
In reply to MrJared:

Cheers he had a head like a bowling ball and was right at rib level flying through the air over an imaginary try line. The noise was pretty grim, but not as bad as the ride back to Inverness the next day on the floor of the back of a mates' Transit van holding the ribs!

Happy days

b
Tomtom 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Sorry ben, but next time I'm asked what I've done to my ribs, I'm blaming a dwarf!
That's brilliant!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...