UKC

Norway This Month! Recommend some easy mountaineering...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Takein 23 Feb 2016
Off to Norway next week for a fortnight.

Looking for recommendations for easy mountaineering routes around Jotunheimen or Southern Norway. Will have all gear but my partner is only used to scrambling and ski touring in winter. So easy meaning simple ski approach, one axe, crampons, grade 2 scrambles...

Crib Goch, Tryfan, Sharp Edge type terrain, accessible from a hut/roadside without an epic approach.

Any recommendations?
 wbo 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Takein: Wheree are you flying into - Bergen?

OP Takein 23 Feb 2016
In reply to wbo:

Ill be driving up from Denmark...
OP Takein 23 Feb 2016
In reply to wbo:

Ill be driving up from Denmark...
 wbo 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Takein:

Well Rosendal and the surrounds is likely to be a good option - Gygrastolen, Ulvenosa? Let me think a bit.

I am not sure of the conditions in Jotunheimen now , I was in the area of Molledalen at the weekend and conditions were extremely variable day to day
 Badpanda 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Takein:

Not sure I am remotely qualified to advise so please feel free to ignore this if anyone who knows what they are talking about comes along. We are off to the Rondane week after next, a national park on the other side of the main valley from the Jotunheim, generally viewed as a bit less rufty tufty and with better weather than the J.

We went to ski tour and were impressed by the sight of lots of Scottish style ridges which looked OK-ish. So we are going back to explore. Doesn't seem to be much info in English. You might try www.scandiavianmountains.com which looks a few years old, but presumably the mountains haven't moved? For instance out of the Rondvassbu hut there are Stormunden and Veslesmeden (sp?) both of which are technically easier than say Crib Goch (but higher and colder and more serious) and essentially a crampon walk. We took light weight crampons and axes and climbed wearing Nordic back-country boots. There were also some bloody scary looking ridges...

By touring, not sure if you mean AT or Nordic touring. We do nordic touring and I wonder if AT'ing around the Rondane, is too much like hard work? (But I think AT is hard work anywhere tbh). There are good cross country tracks to whizz you out to the huts which save loads of time.

Incidentally if anyone has any other suggestions in the Rondane, I'm all ears.

Do take all your own drink, mind.

OP Takein 29 Feb 2016
Thanks guys
 Mr. Lee 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Takein:

Think you're going to be looking at ski touring. Endless 'topptur' options. Plenty of hut to hut options. Won't be much in the way of scrambling as a lot of snow in the mountains in March. Everything will be buried unless steep terrain, which will be harder than the grade you mention. Might be some lowland scrambling options close to the coast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...