UKC

Is may too hot to clim Espolan Ccentrale on Puig Campana?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Superterence 24 Feb 2016
All at UKC,
Heading out in May.

Hoping to climb Espolan Ccentrale on Puig Campana.

Looking for accommodation too. the Orange House is closed at that time/booked out.

Can anyone offer advice on temperature/to hot to climb/fine to multi-pitch? And also offer any alternative to The Orange house?

Thanks,

Terence.
 Martin Bennett 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Superterence:

Likely not too hot, though I suppose there could be a heatwave. I've done it in May and in December and can't remember noticing much more or less comfort either time. We find by far the most economical way of "doing" Costa Blanca" is to rent an apartment - very very cheap outside the holiday season. Calpe's the favourite destination but any of the towns along the coast will do.

In May you should get an apartment for 4 people for under £50 per head. In December we usually manage a week for 4 including flight, car parking at UK airport, car hire, fuel, and apartment rental for under £200 per person. Eating out is varied and cheap. I generally do the bookings through http://www.lowcostholidays.com or https://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/ who's websites let you pick your flight and apartment and do the rest for you. All very easily done.

Unless, that is, you insist on rural charm and the bucolic way of life of the hinterland villages, in which case not so cheap or simple to arrange, but websites like https://www.homeaway.co.uk/ and https://www.airbnb.co.uk/ are good for private apartment or villa rentals.
 JeroenandTimo 24 Feb 2016

Hi Terence

Absolutely fine to climb, it can be hot in May but you can find pitches in the shade and just avoid the middle of the day. Climbed in Costa Blanca many times around end of May and beginning of June (School holidays) and it has been fine, usually a lot of Spanish about as well.

As above, not sure who and how many you are going with, but renting a villa will usually be cheapest and it is worth hiring a car for getting around to the crags.

Have fun!

Jeroen
OP Superterence 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Thanks Martin, an infornative and useful reply. Appreciated.
I would love to rent an appartment but I need to cut costs somewhere. Myself and my daughter are heading out. And I am the chief (read only) source of cash!!!

Looking for bunk houses and the like. The Orange House is closed but there is a place in/called Cassarock. €102 for 3 nights X2 people.

Good news on the climable weather.

Cheers,

Tterence.
OP Superterence 24 Feb 2016
In reply to JeroenandTimo:

Cheers Jeroen,

Good to hear that the heat should not, and hopefully will not be a problem. I have a car rented. Hope to traverse some of the Castlelets Ridge and maybe some sport climbing at Sella. Loads of plans.

Terence.
 colin.morrison 25 Feb 2016

There was (hopefully still is) a really good youth hostel that myself and a mate stayed at in Calpe in October 2012. Reasonably priced from what I can remember. I think I found it just by Google searching Calpe youth hostel.
Post edited at 00:44
 David Mora 28 Feb 2016

Hi Terence, not too hot, but this year (like you know) has been too hot. But normally, from end of March to mid june is good season to climb in Puig.

There are several rural houses in Sella, or a good option is the Guadalest Refuge (in the middle os the Guadalest valey).

Enjoy your climbing days here.

David Mora
Mountain Guide
 Sam Mayfield 06 Mar 2016

Hi Terence, sorry we are closed when you wanted to stay, we open for some weeks in May but we also have stags and hens and that's when we do not mix the two types!

If you are on a budget get back in touch with the office and we can see what we can do! We can recomend a small house in the village that wouldn't be too expensive!

Regards Sam Orange House

Re the weather I would rather not climb Puig in full sun! but others seem to think its ok, what do I know! lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...