UKC

paint spill on climbing gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Giz 25 Feb 2016
My son has spilled paint (some type of gloss/waterproof stuff) on a set of prussics and cows tail which he uses for tree climbing (big trees mind). Will the paint damage them? Anyone know??
 Andy DB 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Giz:

Almost certainly yes. Especially if it contains any sort of solvent.
Giz 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks.
 jkarran 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Giz:

It might have, it might not have (my guess is it's unlikely to do nylon much harm but it is a guess). Lots of industrial rope access stuff ends up paint covered so someone from that sector might be able to offer informed opinion.

Given you're basically describing a few meters of cord I'd be inclined to replace it.
jk
 NottsRich 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Giz:

Replace them, they're cheap.
 Rob N 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Giz:

Hi Giz,

I would definitely throw it out,

I've done and seen lots of testing on rope access kit that has been covered in hydraulic oil, paint and other chemicals, never a happy ending!

Best to throw it out.

deepsoup 25 Feb 2016
In reply to jkarran:
> (my guess is it's unlikely to do nylon much harm but it is a guess).

This is correct, whether it's a solvent or no. If it isn't acid or bleach, the strength of the cord is likely not compromised. Might not handle so nicely though.

> Given you're basically describing a few meters of cord I'd be inclined to replace it.

Deffo. For the paltry cost involved, daft not to really.
Giz 25 Feb 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks all. I've told him to bin/replace the cord. HHe's a bit reluctant to ditch the harness though (its a rope access harness) so I'm finding out more about the affected area and work on him some more. Any more ammunition would be gratefully received.
 deepsoup 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Giz:
> He's a bit reluctant to ditch the harness though (its a rope access harness)

I'm not surprised tbh, I would be too. It probably is fine, and while the cord is cheap the harness isn't.
In reply to Giz:

A call to IRATA is likely to give an informed opinion. Some paint types I believe are ok. I have heard in the past that IRATA uk have a list of what paint is ok and whats not. If in doubt chuck it
Giz 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Giz:

The paint turns out to be a "water based tough and durable vinyl matt emulsion for interiors, Low VOC content up to 8%".
Giz 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Francis Charlesworth:

Thanks I will do.
Giz 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Francis Charlesworth:

Have called them and left a message. I'll let you know what they say.
 muppetfilter 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Giz:

The problem with some paints (particularly 2 part ones ) is once they set they become brittle and snap damaging the webbing.
The best thing to do is give the nice people at Lyon a call and see what they say. (I work in rope access)
Giz 26 Feb 2016
In reply to muppetfilter:

Ok I will do and thanks.
 JamButty 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Giz:

I'd be gobsmacked if IRATA or anyone came back to you to say yes carry on using the gear.
Not worth the (prob minimal) risk - bin em.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...