UKC

Brian Cropper RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BlownAway 25 Feb 2016
Sadly Brian Cropper passed away this morning.

In the 1970 and early 1980s, Brian was a major figure in the climbing scene across the Peak District and Lancashire, as well as a number of other areas, and his time at the YHA in Manchester (firstly Fountain Street and then Deansgate) were highly sociable times, as climbers and mountaineers alike used the YHA as a conduit for news, gossip and supportive chat.

I'm sure there are lots of climbers on here that will have known Brian and remember the fun-loving character that he was. Sadly missed already.

Condolences to his family and friends.

As plans for the funeral become clearer I'll update this thread.

Phil Kelly
 Goucho 25 Feb 2016
In reply to BlownAway:
That is really sad news.

Like many others during the 70's, Brian and YHA on Fountain Street and then Deansgate was a regular place to pop in for a brew and a gossip and to bump into the great and good of the climbing world.

Brian was one of the loveliest people ever to walk this earth. Warm, witty and full of great advice, not to mention great stories - he also had a unique knack of knowing when you needed a new piece of gear long before you did

Pass on my condolences to Jane, Paul and family.

The climbing world has lost another wonderful character.
Post edited at 17:05
 ashtond6 25 Feb 2016
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news. I don't know him but his photo gallery on here is amazing
In reply to BlownAway:

Hi Phil,
Very sorry to hear about Brian he was a good friend. I worked with him at the YHA in the late 70s. Al Evans has also put up a thread about Brian. Please update about funeral arrangements, thanks.
Regards
Chris Lawson
 Mark Kemball 26 Feb 2016
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sorry to hear this, spent many hours festering in the YHA shop when I should have been studying. Lovely bloke. Great photographer. Focus of the Manchester scene in the '70s.
 rocksol 26 Feb 2016
In reply to BlownAway:

Was shocked to hear of Brian,s passing. A fantastic bloke. I went to his wedding in the late 70,s and the YHA was gossip/info central
Sadly missed
 Al Evans 26 Feb 2016
 rocksol 26 Feb 2016
In reply to BlownAway:

Thanks Al. The way we were, complete with fag on!
 pneame 26 Feb 2016
In reply to BlownAway:

Well that's very sad news - I only knew Brian through UKC, even though we were more or less contemporaries, never having had occasion to visit Manchester from far away Liverpool.

What a gent - great photographs, always ready with a kind word. I became sorry I'd never gone over to Manchester.
OP BlownAway 04 Mar 2016
In reply to BlownAway:

Brian's funeral will take place on Friday 18th March at 11.30AM, at:

Holy Cross R/C Church
370 Liverpool Road
Patricroft,
Eccles
M30 8QD

Followed at 12:20PM at:

Peel Green Cemetery and Crematorium
716 Liverpool Road
Eccles
M30 7LW
In reply to Al Evans:
Great pic, & is that the president of BMC sporting some trendy white flares?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...