UKC

An Teallach traverse conditions??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chmckay 25 Feb 2016

Hi folks, thinking of doing the An Teallach traverse on Saturday but not 100% sure if the deep snow conditions are going to turn it I to a mega, mega long day.

Has anyone been up recently that could offer some advice on the current conditions?

Thanks in advance
Post edited at 23:51
OP chmckay 26 Feb 2016
In reply to chmckay:

Bump
 GStone 26 Feb 2016
In reply to chmckay:
I went up last Friday. Left the car at 6.55am, was very windy and couldn't see the summits. There was a 60-70mph westerly which meant walking on the ridge itself would have been a bit dodgy. Once we got to the pinnacles there was not enough ice to winter climb and it was too wet to scramble, so tried to traverse around the back. Ended up turning back as there was lots of spin drift and things were looking very Avalanchey crossing gullies, didn't want to be another headline in the news.

The weather is looking good this weekend, cold easterly but bright and sunny. Haven't checked the MWIS. Will post a picture when I'm in front of my laptop.

Forgot to say the snow wasn't that deep!
Post edited at 08:14
 GStone 26 Feb 2016
In reply to chmckay:

Just read the MWIS. You have perfect conditions! Go for it
OP chmckay 26 Feb 2016
In reply to GStone:

Thanks GStone, was more thinking about the snow under foot, was thinking if it's deep and powdery it may add a a lot of time to the traverse. As you say the mwis weather suggests it should be brilliant
 drunken monkey 26 Feb 2016
In reply to chmckay:

Mates were up NW yesterday (Torridon) and reported deep fresh snow making trail breaking hard work.
 GStone 26 Feb 2016
In reply to chmckay:

It wasn't deep and powdery last week, it was crampons on rock for most of the ascent / descent. The worst bit was the wet boggy heather!
northwestman 26 Feb 2016
In reply to chmckay:

Hi looks like plenty fresh snow from my house I look straight onto An Teallach so would guess very hard going
 Captain Solo 26 Feb 2016
In reply to chmckay:
Saw an teallach today, snow almost down to sea level. I was on beinn dearg and it was knee deep powder at 600m. I would wait for a thaw and re freeze for a more enjoyable day out.
OP chmckay 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Captain Solo:

Cheers captain solo, we went to beinn bhan instead and it backs up everything said about the snow conditions, was powdery and knee deep in places. An teallach would be a mission in those conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...