UKC

Simple Question - What is soloing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 26 Feb 2016
Harborough Rocks

Hello, I've tried reading the Wikipedia article on the difference between free climbing/solo climbing etc. but I'm still a bit confused. Take for example the crag description for Harborough Rocks:

"Super soloing or family picnic venue in summer"

What does 'soloing' mean in this context, does it mean climbing without ropes or protection higher than one would if bouldering? Or does it mean climbing on your own with protection? Or does it mean something else...?

Many thanks!

climbwhenready 26 Feb 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

It's a bit messy, they mean climbing without ropes.

Technically soloing means climbing by yourself (so you can rope solo), but 90% of the time it's used to mean no ropes, even though this is a bit ambiguous.
 maybe_si 26 Feb 2016

UK soloing - no gear, just boots and chalk.

USA soloing - doing something on your own, usually a big wall, using all the kit.

USA free soloing - same as UK soloing.

Jamie Wakeham 26 Feb 2016

To further add to the confusion:

Climbers: free climbing - not pulling on gear/aiding
Everyone else: free climbing - not using any ropes, ie soloing

This is usually followed with 'like that French bloke who climbs buildings'. Or, occasionally, 'they didn't free climb El Capitan - I saw it on the telly and they had loads of ropes!'
 Casa Alfredino 26 Feb 2016

And free climbing - when you climb on rock without using equipment to make progress, i.e. no pulling on gear - all the moves are figured out and completed using what nature gave you.

and aid climbing - when you climb a rock but pull on gear to progress, most often when the rock is extremely compact, steep and/or overhanging on terrain which most people would be physically unable to climb free. Again there are subsectors within aid climbing - clean aid is when you use on gear which does not damage the rock, whilst when given an A grade (rather than c) it means you will use pegs or drilled rivets and hooks to make progress. Some A graded routes can be climbed clean but at a harder grade because the placements are less secure.
OP elliot.baker 26 Feb 2016
In reply to climbwhenready:

Riiight ok thanks for the info folks! I'm going there this afternoon so we'll see how it goes, taking plenty of bouldering mats. Hopefully it will stay dry - I think it will. Thanks all.
 climbwhenready 26 Feb 2016

Mind you, that crag description is not mandating that you solo! Just that some people enjoy it there.
 Ben07 26 Feb 2016

Yarborough is a good place for soloing because there loss of easy routes, and not very high. Nice though ☺
 Sean Kelly 26 Feb 2016
In reply to maybe_si:

> UK soloing - no gear, just boots and chalk.

..or in the case of winter, small sac, boots, Crampons & 2 axes. That's all!
 maybe_si 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

True
 Brass Nipples 26 Feb 2016
In reply to maybe_si:

> UK soloing - no gear, just boots and chalk.

Does get chilly with no clothes on mind, with the chalk bag purely used as a fig leaf.

crayefish 26 Feb 2016

>What is soloing?

When your wife/girlfriend goes out and you just feel the need...

Fredt 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> ..or in the case of winter, small sac, boots, Crampons & 2 axes. That's all!

...or in the case of the Alps, larger sac, boots, crampons, 1 axe, bivi bag, torch helmet, food, drink, skinny 7mm rope, harness, screws, small rack, duvet jacket...
 Andy Morley 26 Feb 2016
There is only one answer to this question:-

FUN!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...