UKC

Sprained wrist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fantastical 26 Feb 2016
Fell over boarding last night and sprained my wrist. Swollen and somewhat uncomfortable today. I've been training for an upcoming trip to El Chorro in April and don't want to lose all the strength I've gained! Any tips for speeding up the healing process? And keeping climbing fitness up?

Going to France boarding next week so need it to be okay asap.
 alx 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Fantastical:

I recommend a direct application of a Google search, followed up by common sense to help with the accute trauma. For long term recovery I would repeat this step.

Let us know how you get on with this.
OP Fantastical 26 Feb 2016
In reply to alx:

Oddly enough I have done that. Weird that, huh?!

Was hoping someone might have done similar and have some hints for keeping climbing fitness up. Probably shouldn't have posted but thought had nothing to lose and struggling somewhat with the mental aspect.

Wsdconst 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Fantastical:

Whenever I injure my self I always seem to have the urge to pretend it's not that bad and then try to "test" it by doing stupid movements that make it worse. My advice is don't do what I do and try to rest it as much as you can, losing a bit of strength is better than causing a bigger problem.
 alx 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Fantastical:
I would not worry, if your profile is currently up to date and you have been climbing for 4-10yrs, your fitness is not holding you back on attaining 6a+ sport climbs.

Snow boarding will do your core good.
 Murderous_Crow 27 Feb 2016

It's worth getting an x-ray, as one of the wrist bones is prone to being 'avulsed' in sprain injuries and being subsequently starved of blood.

In addition: Ice it thoroughly for 20min three times a day, ibuprofen regularly for 7-10 days if no reason not to, apply a compression bandage, and do light mobility stuff a few times each day, just passively and actively moving the joint through available range of motion without provoking pain.

Even if it's non-bony injury, it will probably take a fair while to heal. Wrist sprains occur in a very tight and active compartment, which means recovery can be prolonged. Be patient, and do your best to avoid falls! Could be worth getting a wrist splint, especially if you're going to go boarding (actually going boarding is a bad idea in light of your injury, but it's probably what I'd do if I'd put money down. Just take care).

Luke
Post edited at 00:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...