UKC

Gaelic speaker needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
I need a phrase translated from English; 'Land of the old'

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Roger
 DaveHK 26 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

> I need a phrase translated from English; 'Land of the old'

> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

> Roger

Nairn?
 Nordie_matt 26 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:
Been years since I used my Irish, but at a guess Tir ná Sean

*15 years since GCSE irish, so happy to bee corrected
Post edited at 16:43
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Good idea not very snappy though.
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Nordie_matt:

Thanks, unless someone disagrees with we will go with that.
 skog 26 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

Naming a route, by any chance? Was it a good one?
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to skog:

Yes it was great, we switched to knoydart from fisherfield as there was a higher snowline. Ended up climbing next to tir na og, the land of the young, by the time we got back to the car I was definitely in the land of the old.
Leaving aside the climbing it was a total hill experience with the sun rise lighting up Beinn Sgritheall through layers of cloud.
Despite having to go to work after 2 hours sleep I have had a grin stuck on my face all day.
It's a big little country in all ways.
 skog 26 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

Brilliant!
drmarten 26 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:
Nice one Roger. Can I ask - without provoking anything - how people know if a route is a FA if there was a policy of not recording them in the NW some years ago, and when did that situation change? I've no axe to grind, merely interested, it's not a subject I'm familiar with.
It sounds like you had a good day, the Big Country indeed : -)
Post edited at 19:21
 DaveHK 26 Feb 2016
In reply to drmarten:

The moratorium was a long time ago now and many of the unclaimed routes have been attributed. Also, the scene was always pretty small so I imagine word got round.
 Andy Nisbet 26 Feb 2016
In reply to drmarten:
> Nice one Roger. Can I ask - without provoking anything - how people know if a route is a FA if there was a policy of not recording them in the NW some years ago, and when did that situation change? I've no axe to grind, merely interested, it's not a subject I'm familiar with.

> It sounds like you had a good day, the Big Country indeed : -)

The idea of not recording routes in the NW (the moratorium) only lasted a couple of years and many were later recorded. It was decided to be a bad idea. So there's always a small chance that routes have been done before, but actually the risk that someone modern has done them and not recorded them is more likely but still small. We all operate on the system that not recorded is not done. There is no choice if we want the fun and guidebooks to exist. But in Knoydart, the chance of the route having been done is is close to nil.
Post edited at 20:02
 gavmac 26 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

Hey Roger

Just checked with mum (Gaelic teacher), she said:

Tír na h-aoise

drmarten 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet/Dave Kerr :

Thanks for the replies, out of interest what years are we talking about here?
 Jim Fraser 26 Feb 2016
In reply to gavmac:

> Tír na h-aoise

The mythical sunken Land of Age. There you go Roger. A legend.
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to drmarten:

The answer really is you don't know but can make an educated judgement depending upon location and style.
Mostly if something is so memorable as to cause someone to care they probably already spoken up.
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to gavmac:

Thanks that is very kind of you
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Thanks Jim that is a legend I shall look up, I love that kind stuff.
 Andy Nisbet 26 Feb 2016
In reply to drmarten:

> Thanks for the replies, out of interest what years are we talking about here?

I can't remember now, early 70s, but only a year or two.
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Nordie_matt:

Thank you for helping but you have been gazumped by a teacher so we shall go with her and the legend.
I am impressed that you can remember your gcse, I have a certificate that says I speak some german, not anymore.
Thanks again.
 Nordie_matt 26 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

No sweat It's a much better name as well!
 Mick Ward 26 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

In Irish, Tir na nOg, is the land of the young. And a sean bhean is an old woman. So Tir ná Sean probably is literally the land of the old.

I don't know about Gaelic but Irish is a marvellously lyrical language. So the land of the old could be quite different from the land of age.

The problem's a bit like translating poetry. Often direct translation doesn't convey the feeling of the original. My gut feeling is that the land of age is what you're after rather than the land of the old, per se.

Caveat: No Gaelic, only Irish (similar - or not?), a silver fainne for proficiency, which I didn't deserve and that was, oh no! 50 years ago.

Probably best then to disregard the above as nonsense. It sounds like a great day out on the hill though and that's what really matters.

Mick

Nordie_matt 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:
> Caveat: No Gaelic, only Irish (similar - or not?), a silver fainne for proficiency, which I didn't deserve and that was, oh no! 50 years ago.

If i remember correctly there's a few provincial variations of Irish, with Ulster Irish (what I was taught) being close to Scot's Gaelic. Could be wrong though, relying on memories of old teachers etc.

On a side note, my favourite Irish proverb is:
Is minic a bhris beal duine a shrón

Matt
Post edited at 21:35
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks
I realise that my initial question was too specific, the opposite of tir na og was what I was really looking for.

I am glad I asked, the answers are very informative.
It was a standout day, only enhanced by being at work this morning thinking 'did that really happen'.
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Nordie_matt:

> On a side note, my favourite Irish proverb is:

> Is minic a bhris beal duine a shrón

> Matt

Please translate that, I have to know!
 Nordie_matt 26 Feb 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

It's often a persons mouth that breaks their nose
OP rogerwebb 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Nordie_matt:

Absolutely brilliant, love it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...