UKC

How many British Newspaper Does Murdoch Own? EU Vote Related

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 26 Feb 2016

After walking past copies of The Sun with something along the lines of 'The Great Immigrant Con' on the front page, presumably related to the up coming EU vote, I came across this rather perturbing quote.

Edit: "I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. 'That's easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice"

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/this-terrifying-rupert-murdoch-quo...

It doesn't seem right that he can get to influence public opinion to further his own interests.

Post edited at 19:55
 tspoon1981 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Timmd:
"I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. 'That£s easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice"

If folks don't want to read through the article.
Post edited at 19:45
In reply to Timmd:

The Independent is owned by a Russian oligarch, ex intelligence agency and Russian bank owner. What do you reckon? OK because you agree with their editorial?

(BTW , I am not a fan of Murdoch)

OP Timmd 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
I'd say it's less about who owns a paper, and what they seek through the ownership.

I don't feel I know enough about the owner of the Independent & why he owns it to form an opinion (yet).

Also, it's the accuracy of the content which ultimately counts.
Post edited at 20:45
 The New NickB 26 Feb 2016

> The Independent is owned by a Russian oligarch, ex intelligence agency and Russian bank owner. What do you reckon? OK because you agree with their editorial?

> (BTW , I am not a fan of Murdoch)

Do you dispute the quote? That what matters surely. Stopped clock and all that, even the Express predictions of the coldest winter in a decade are correct once a decade.
 Rob Parsons 26 Feb 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Do you dispute the quote?

Is the quote for real? Who knows?

If it is - was it a joke? Who knows?

There is going to be lot of black propaganda over the coming few months - as there always is when then there opinions to be turned and/or formed. My advice is: believe nothing.
Post edited at 20:25
In reply to The New NickB:

I don't dispute the quote. I'm sat at home babysitting (or parenting as my wife calls it) on a Friday night whilst she's enjoying a night out with the girls. There's nothing on the telly, I'm not motivated to pick up my book, so i'm being a bit flippant on this thread by highlighting the owner of the Independent might not be our dream owner of part of the UK press (like Murdoch) . Admittedly I didn't engage on the main thrust of the OP...but as you have taken me to task on it I suspect the comment has some basis in truth but was spoken from the ego of a man who was probably trying to impress Mr Hilton. But it certainly doesn't give me pause for thought on how to vote in the EU ref as the paper states it should. Having said that, I don't read Murdoch's press or have Sky tv so its hard for him to have an influence on me.
 Bulls Crack 26 Feb 2016

> I don't dispute the quote. I'm sat at home babysitting (or parenting as my wife calls it)

Quite right too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...